Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

just curious, what do you guys use to store your dvd collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dvd collection is getting pretty hefty, and this 2nd shelf of the bookcase thing just isn't cutting anymore, what do you guys use?

Anybody got any slick dvd towers or something y'know, cool?

post pix =P
Old 05-03-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine are sitting on the floor
Old 05-03-03, 02:43 PM
Cool New Member

Skara wall units from IKEA. They're either $59 or $69, mount directly to the wall, and are supposed to hold about 300 DVDs. I find the top shelf unusable (it sits about 7 feet off the floor) and with double cases and whatnot get about 250 per unit.

One note.... Since I am in an apartment with drywall on stud construction, instead of using the mounting holes, I just mounted it to a stud whereever the stud was. I just used 2.5 inch screws and it's doing fine. Generally speaking, you'll either have 2 studs (one on either side) or one in the middle.

Enjoy!
Old 05-03-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is an old picture, but it shows what I use. I now have my TV shows across the top shelf, and my Midnite Movies and Fox Studio Classics on the very top.

edited to say that I uploaded a new picture. I had to take it on an angle, so there wouldn't be this huge glare covering up all the Midnite Movies. Can't have that.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 05-03-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
This is an old picture, but it shows what I use. I now have my TV shows across the top shelf, and my Midnite Movies and Fox Studio Classics on the very top.

Rob
:Q that's a frightening dvd collection!
Old 05-03-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

as I've said before, I refused to buy anything that I myself could build for cheaper....and would hold more. my shelf system is housed within an old walk-in closet...now named the DVD Vault. also there are all my film books and tapes. will hold around 2,000 dvds. just bought 4 more titles...so it's well on it's way to fillin' up. over 1,000 titles now fits perfect....with plenty of room for adjustment. remember, it all depends on how many you plan to buy. dont cut yourself short or you'll run into the same problem again.

sorry I have no pic. I'm finally getting set up with some good gear so I can take pics. I want/need to touch up my shelf first anyway......
Old 05-03-03, 06:35 PM

I'm thinking about convincing my dad to build a DVD case as a weekend project, i started using a bookshelf that if it was about 5 inches taller would fit everything, but no, i've overflowed with a recent binge spending (Hey, having surgery and being layed up for 3 weeks and another 6 months coming, it becomes addicting to hop online and throw something in a basket and order it...it'll be hard looking at my debit card bill)
Old 05-03-03, 06:38 PM
Rest in Peace

oh boy

I use Sauder hardwood lockable cabinets,
they were originally bought to hold Vhs collection. I have counted all as keep cases there are 4 layers on the double(2) sides that close up and the same on the back. On the sides each level will hold 16 + 2 above sideways, on the back it will hold 37 on each of the upper levels plus 3 on the left and 3 on the right. the bottom levels only holds a total of four.

I have no idea what a cabinet would hold if it were loaded with slimmer snap cases, or if the DVD was kept in jewel cases. These are PQ fully Oak hardwood *not* veneer, which is cheap particle board with strips of real or fake (plastic) wood, glued to the particle board length! PQ Cabinets to hold your valuable collection are needed, by the serious enthuisest like me or another member or lurker.

In owning 3..300 + 1 DVD changers 900 would be in the changers, the cases in the cabinets would either be full, empty, or partially full. I currently have 2 changers 'full' and 21 in the 3rd. This is not inluding a 6th cabinet only holding 123 R2 or R4 cases that are always full except when in use.

I would say around 2000 + or - all lockable and tight, minus dust particles.

Member I am not a employee of this firm, buy what you can afford, from whomever you choose! I hope this helps you in your search.

Last edited by danol; 05-03-03 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While we're at this, could someone post some links to sites that sell storage racks? Nothing specific of course, just some of the companies that have them out there for those of us just getting started with collections and needing ways to house them. THanks in advance.
Old 05-03-03, 08:16 PM

Wooden cases of varying size.

This pic is as of July 2002,... I've added a tenth case since then:

Click To Enlarge

Each Rack: OneTwoThreeFourFiveSix&SevenEight&Nine

Old 05-03-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Built it myself. It currently holds 500 dvds (about 480 in the pic) and I can fit about 100 more. Works great.
Old 05-03-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those are nice George. I'm thinking about building some this week while my father-in-law is visiting. I like the way those look.
Old 05-03-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this point they just go wherever I can fit them
Old 05-03-03, 09:36 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the ones that go on sale now and then at office max, I have enough to probably hold 200. I keep the discs themselves in binders tho. Not cheap binders that scratch the discs, expensive binders that are made of optical cloth.
Old 05-03-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is what I use, it has gotten fuller since this though, havnt updated it, but it was like $90 at Lowes

you can check it out HERE

Last edited by REL77; 05-03-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 11:00 PM
Banned

REL77

your picture isn't showing up...after this edit your link works :-)

but I think I am looking st the same Sauder cabinet... is the model #1750-150 ?

kinda and antiquish color?

Could tell us exactly how many DVD cases fit in yours...

Sauder makes three cabinets that are roughly the same size.

I am looking at a 1750-150
http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...umber=1750-100

http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...umber=8950-150

http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...rodNumber=2650
Old 05-03-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CitizenX
REL77

your picture isn't showing up...after this edit your link works :-)

but I think I am looking st the same Sauder cabinet... is the model #1750-150 ?

kinda and antiquish color?

Could tell us exactly how many DVD cases fit in yours...

Sauder makes three cabinets that are roughly the same size.

I am looking at a 1750-150
http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...umber=1750-100

http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...umber=8950-150

http://www.sauder.com/ClickForLarger...rodNumber=2650
Mine is more like the first link, just a differant color, a lighter color. It holds about 270 movies, and is a really nice Rack, I love it, everyone always coments on it to me. I cant figure out how to get the pic to show up, I dont know how to do it correctly for some reason.
Old 05-03-03, 11:54 PM

My Dad and I just built one for myself. Took us about a week. Here ya go.

Old 05-03-03, 11:58 PM

I have 2 REALLY nice light wood bookshelves that hold my DVDs perfectly, and I keep all my Twin Peaks disc on top of the player. Oh and I have a black plastic cd holder that can hold DVDs upright, and I moved my TV series there since I needed more room.
Old 05-04-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Revolving storage cabinet?

Currently, I have a locking cabinet that holds about 250 DVDs. Between me and my girlfriend, we have quite a bit more than that so they end up stacked on top of the cabinet and in rows on top of two bookshelves. This morning she woke me up and said, "Kev, it's time to get a new cabinet. Every time I open ours, the DVDs on top sway back and forth!"

I was wondering if anyone uses a revolving storage cabinet? I've seen several advertised and they look nice. IMHO, a lot better than simply buying more and more shelves.

One thing I'm worried about is how accurate the descriptions are. Some have almost identical dimensions, but claim much higher capacity. Here are two examples from the same site. One claims it holds 440 DVDs and the other 600, but they have relatively the same dimensions.

Holds 440 DVDs (?)

Holds 600 DVDs (?)

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-04-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i'm using some el cheapo racks. they're convenient for now, until i get my own place.

Old 05-04-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In these:

Old 05-04-03, 12:55 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
D. Pham,

Why do you have three (at least) copies of Spartacus: CC?

Just curious.

Oh, and I have the most recent 200 DVDs in a nice tall bookshelf-type thing, with a bunch of discs that I don't watch much between two boxes in my closet.

I know, sacrilege. I'll have to get another nice rack, or build one after I've moved.

-- Jough
Old 05-04-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by REL77
This is what I use, it has gotten fuller since this though, havnt updated it, but it was like $90 at Lowes

you can check it out HERE

Good choice! =) I have two of these and I love em. Got em at Lowes too. I like the sturdy construction for the price and the lock is always a plus.
Old 05-04-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a tall plastic rack (@ 18"), that looks like an Art Deco building. It holds the cases horizontally, and in individual slots, so that they never touch each other. I've found that one to be perfect for snap cases.

Several sets (ST:TNG season four, The Godfather Set) and oddly-formatted packages (Almost Famous bootleg, Pulp Fiction Special ed, Boogie Nights Special ed) sit on top of a cedar bureau that I have.

The bulk of my keep case DVDs are kept in four Rubbermaid Photo Boxes (which are formatted to hold either DVDs, CDs or VHS tapes, depending on how you set them in.)

This makes them nicely portable, (very handy when I had to enter all the UPCs when I uploaded the DVD Profiler list a little while ago), and keeps them relatively dust-free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.