Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CUTS made in LOTR EE from Theatrical Release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-29-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone always lauds (so do I) the extra 30 minutes added to the LOTR EE.

But what were the CUTS?

As a possible example:

When Frodo meets up with Gandalf, he has a few new lines about Bilbo and how Frodo has seen him going through maps. Some dialog was altered here, as Gandalf no longer tells Frodo that life in the outside world goes along as it always has, instead Bilbo says the line and it's applied to The Shire.

Were there many? Is there a list?
Old 03-29-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 640 Likes on 441 Posts
In that same scene, Gandolf says that the outside world is scarcely awar of Hobbits, for which he is very grateful. It's entirely cut in the EE.

Outside of the into, I can't remember any cut lines.
Old 03-29-03, 04:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 230 Likes on 174 Posts
Off the top of my head:

The giving of the gifts in Lothlorien

Bilbo writing his book

The scene with the Trolls made of stone
Old 03-29-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
Off the top of my head:

The giving of the gifts in Lothlorien

Bilbo writing his book

The scene with the Trolls made of stone
but aren't those the ADDITIONS?

I'm interested in what is in the Theatrical Release that is NOT in the Extended Edition....

sort of a reversal of what is usually discussed.
Old 03-29-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole beginning is re-worked, including cuts and additions...er I mean the introduction to the Shire title area is cut and re-worked.
Old 03-29-03, 05:52 PM
Suspended

The most notable missing scene is right after Sauron was defeated by Isildur (pure luck), where Elrond and Isildur stood at the edge of Mt. Doom's volcano and Elrond asked Isildur to destroy the One Ring by throwing it into the volcano. Why the hell did the New Line bastards cut that scene from the EE?
Old 03-29-03, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
The most notable missing scene is right after Sauron was defeated by Isildur (pure luck), where Elrond and Isildur stood at the edge of Mt. Doom's volcano and Elrond asked Isildur to destroy the One Ring by throwing it into the volcano. Why the hell did the New Line bastards cut that scene from the EE?
I haven't watched the theatrical version in a while, but I remember watching the EE and thinking the same thing. However, that scene is definitely in the EE somewhere (IIRC it's shown when Gandalf and Elrond are talking at Rivendell), so I decided it was probably my imagination, and it was later on in the movie all along. I guess I was wrong.
Old 03-29-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That scene is shown during Gandalf/Elrond's conversation in both the theatrical cut and the EE. No change there.
Old 03-29-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
The whole beginning is re-worked, including cuts and additions...er I mean the introduction to the Shire title area is cut and re-worked.
I agree, but it would be nice to know "what" changed. And anywhere else?
Old 03-29-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your mind is playing tricks on you. The scene is right where is always has been: a flashback during Elrond and Gandalf's conversation in Rivendell.

On to the cuts! ------> A few bits of dialogue is cut from the early Frodo and Gandalf in the cart scene because it'd repetitious. And besides, it was horrible anyway. Do we really need Frodo basically winking at the audience and explaining how simple hobbits are?

And then the other one I noticed is when the Fellowship arrives at Lothlorien. In the theatrical cut, they're basically held prisoner with Haldir saying something like "You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back." This is cut and instead, we get a new scene.
Old 03-29-03, 06:36 PM

It's also worth pointing out that any reworking and snipping done for the EE was done by Jackson himself and not by "New Line bastards." Jackson explains many of the differences on the commentary track and even says that the EE is the "true" version of the film. It's obvious that the material that was cut was done to eliminate redundant material. I haven't listened to the commentary in a while, but I recall Jackson saying that he eliminated a few shorthand versions of scenes (just dialogue snippets, really) that appeared only in the theatrical cut, because with the EE he had the luxury of presenting those ideas in their full versions. Obviously the introduction to the Shire is a perfect example of this.
Old 03-29-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On this topic of additions and subtractions, does ANYONE here remember a scene where Gollum attacks and kills Deagol for the ring? Do I just remember this from the book, or was there an actual trailer with this scene in it, and it was cut from the film altogether? Thanks.
Old 03-29-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was never in the movie
Old 03-29-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I didn't think it was...was it in a trailer?
Old 03-29-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,794 Posts
The EE uses a different take of the Haldir-on-the-way-to-Lothlorien scene. It adds new footage, but takes out some out as well.
Old 03-29-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by reubs82
Yeah, I didn't think it was...was it in a trailer?
No, but we can expect a scene like that in ROTK.
Old 03-29-03, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Oh, so they changed the order of the "dump your ring" scene. I'll have to give EE another watch tonight. Thanks for pointing it out folks.
Old 03-29-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've tried to find a site which lists the changes (CUTS from Theater to EE), but haven't had any luck, so far.
Old 03-30-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On this topic of additions and subtractions, does ANYONE here remember a scene where Gollum attacks and kills Deagol for the ring? Do I just remember this from the book, or was there an actual trailer with this scene in it, and it was cut from the film altogether? Thanks.
It's been rumored that we'll see more of Smeagol (pre-Gollum) and Deagol in ROTK. We'll probably see a flashback when they find the ring and Deagol get's killed.
Old 03-30-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts
Nothing of real importance was edited out. Only the opening sequence was seriously reworked, and after seeing the new one a few times, I think it's better than the original. Anything of importance that was cut is said again by a different character.

There are also some small things missing from the reworked beginning of the Council of Elrond, but they don't detract from anything.

Can't wait for the EE of Two Towers and ROTK this christmas.
Old 03-30-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,794 Posts
The scene was filmed, but hasn't shown up in a movie yet. It will likely appear in ROTK or the EE of TTT.

I seem to recall stills of this scene showing up on the 'net, so that's probably what you're thinking of.
Old 03-30-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep getting "nothing of real importance" was edited out - and I agree.

But that's the point - no one seems to have a list of these little nits above and beyond "not much was changed".

So WHAT ARE the detail cuts, even if they are small?

No one seems to know them exactly...
Old 03-30-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well why don't you go do a acomparison and find out? I heard that not only did the cut a few minor things, add 30 minutes, they also replaced shots with alternate takes (at the Council of Elrond). I can't pick it out, but that's what I heard.
Old 03-30-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rizor
Well why don't you go do a acomparison and find out? I heard that not only did the cut a few minor things, add 30 minutes, they also replaced shots with alternate takes (at the Council of Elrond). I can't pick it out, but that's what I heard.
I probably could, but I was hoping someone had already done it. But I can't figure out a combination of words that would bring something like that up via google.
Old 03-30-03, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Try this link, it goes to a review that lists the changes in order, I don't know if it is 100% accurate but check it out (this goes to page 4 of the whole review, where the changes are listed).

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/374/374921p4.html?fromint=1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.