Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cosby Show Seasons DVD???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-02-03, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i want to know is...WHY? Why are Buffy the Vampire seaons coming out but not this incredibly classic tv show isnt coming to dvd. There were at least 10 seasons, and it would sell most defintaly. Has anyone heard of anything on a Cosby Show dvd first season, etc?!
Old 02-02-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
There are some Cosby Show dvd's available through mail-order, but they are not complete seasons.

Nothing has been announced (or rumored) about complete season releases.
Old 02-02-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 782 Likes on 575 Posts
I would love season sets of this. I love tv on dvd unfortunately my wallet doesn't. I would love it if they lowered the prices down to $30 a set.
Old 02-02-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I got the first 4 episodes through CH TV Club for $4.99. The first is my favorite anyway, so I'm glad at least I got it.
Old 02-02-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Cosby Show Seasons DVD???

Originally posted by The Tad Pad
All i want to know is...WHY? Why are Buffy the Vampire seaons coming out but not this incredibly classic tv show isnt coming to dvd.
Just think -- if it were the other way around, I would be asking just the opposite.
Old 02-02-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,204 Posts
Re: The Cosby Show Seasons DVD???

Originally posted by The Tad Pad
Why are Buffy the Vampire seaons coming out but not this incredibly classic tv show isnt coming to dvd.
As much as message board posters like to pretend there's some gigantic, singular "They" that release DVDs, there are actually many, many individual companies that tackle these tasks.

Buffy, for instance, is handled by Fox Home Entertainment. To answer your question, Fox releases Buffy on DVD because <small>(1)</small> they're reasonably certain it'll make money and <small>(2)</small> they have the home video rights. Fox doesn't have the rights to release The Cosby Show on DVD. I don't know who does, but Buffy being on DVD isn't preventing the release of The Cosby Show, and the two don't have much to do with one another at all.

Sorry, these sorts of "Why is [random title] on DVD, but not [completely unrelated title from an entirely different company]?" threads kinda bug me.
Old 02-02-03, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were 9 seasons I believe and I'd buy everyone of them. The last two seasons weren't that good (thanks Cousin Pam) but I'd still buy them. This & Family Ties are my two most wanted releases.
Old 02-03-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There were 8 seasons of The Cosby Show. I'd be tempted to buy the first season or two, but that's about it. Any more than that may cut into my Buffy budget.

(kidding!)

Rob
Old 02-03-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by DemolitionMan
The last two seasons weren't that good (thanks Cousin Pam)

Dear DemolitionMan,

Screw you!!!!!

Love,
Cousin Pam
Old 01-25-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread to bring you this little tidbit posted on TVshowsondvd.com site...

Link
Old 01-25-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Lazy

Cosby Show, The - Hang with the Huxtables on DVD
Posted by Gord Lacey
1/24/2005

Shows from independent production company Carsey/Werner have slowly been trickling out, and now we have news of another set to be released. The Cosby Show, staring Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable, will be released in April or May of this year. We came about this information in an odd fashion; Carsey/Werner is looking to purchase banner ads for the title. We don't have an exact time frame, or even know who will be distributing it, but we wanted to let our readers know that everything is indicating a release will be happening - we can't imagine they would want to take out advertising for something they weren't intending to release.

We'll have more information when it's available, but we wanted to stir the pot a bit and let you know it's coming soon.