Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DO you ever pass over a Snapper dvd in hope for a Amaray release?WB, WAKE UP!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-29-03, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you know. For the most part I am a pretty laid back person until the snappers came into my life. I'll fully admit it, I am anal on snappers!! I have a few I bought...The Mask...L.A Confidential from way back in 1998. I keep them in a safe place, but i notice the back of the cases are starting to warp!

Now that i have enough dvds in my collection to satisfy me, and not buy everything in sight. I tend to be choosy. And since there are now plenty of choices to buy also, I'm starting to pass over a release that's in a snapper case lately, unless it's a must buy. I keep figuring WB will re-release them in the future. Surely they must realize!! I am sure alot of you don't care about such matters. But for the people who do the same. Why doesn't Warner Bros. see this?????

I would think(my opinion) that they are losing money that could easily be gained. I know i read plenty of sporadic threads on this. But i guess WB just seems to not care on the matter. I guess money is not a priority to them or what we think.(major head scratcher)

I know most other studios has converted, but somehow WB doesn't seem to budge. If i'm off my rocker, feel free to slam me. Say wake up fool!! It's the movie that counts!!Damn it! I hate being anal on this. Is there a Snapper Reform School around these parts?

Last edited by Rainet; 01-29-03 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 10:35 AM
Banned

Bottom line:

i think they're ugly and flimsy...

but i'm not going to pass up a movie that i love because of the packaging. IMHO...that's just stupid.

I mean really...

it totally burns my a$$ when people refuse to buy a movie because of something like the PACKAGING. I don't mean to go on a rant here but you look at the countless threads around of
- non-anamorphic transfers
- barebones releases
- BAD transfers

etc etc

I think the LEAST of our problems are the packaging concerns. You don't like it so much...buy an amaray case yourself and print out a "regular" insert from one of the many websites that cater to this annoyance.

Remember that old saying...don't judge a book by it's cover?
update it: don't judge a dvd on its packaging.

Meanwhile...i'll go back to buying, collecting and enjoying.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 01-29-03 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Bottom line:

but i'm not going to pass up a movie that i love because of the packaging. IMHO...that's just stupid.
Old 01-29-03, 10:59 AM
Banned

i don't like um, but i won't pass on the dvd just because of it
Old 01-29-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
When I had a lot fewer DVDs, I used to pass on snappers sometimes, if it was something I was mostly buying because it was a good deal.

Now, though, I have a fair amount of them, and I have them separated out, so they don't look as sloppy (I still think they look flimsy and cheap), so I generally don't care if they're in a snapper.
Old 01-29-03, 11:06 AM

digitalfreaknyc

Personally you are correct. However I still feel the same. I never said i liked being that way!! And you are right, the movie is what's important regardless of the packaging. I think my main rant is, since I am ASSUMING that Warner bros has an idea how the consumer feels.(The packaging, Not the movie) Why don't they do anything about it?
Old 01-29-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i also wouldn't pass up a movie solely on package design.....but i do admit snappers are pet peeves to me. so, when i do see a keep-case version, i'd gladly pick it up and dump the crappy snapper versions....a recent example would be the new-line platinum releases (austin powers), which have recently converted over to keep cases. i was happy to find a canadian version of the first Blade movie, which comes in a keep case (with foil stamping on the sleeve, to boot!)
Old 01-29-03, 11:33 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do see your point of view as I take pride in my collection. Seeing those snappers on my shelf really f**ks me off. Hopefully WB will wake up soon. But I wouldn't pass up the movie because of the packaging.
Old 01-29-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine ever passing up a movie I wanted because of the packaging .....
Old 01-29-03, 12:00 PM

If you don't buy a movie you want because of the case, you've got issues. Last time I checked this was DVD talk forum, where you talk about DVDs. The case is secondary to the movie, I don't go out shopping for DVD's and only buy the ones with the nice packaging.
Old 01-29-03, 12:16 PM

I agree about snapper cases being ugly.... but I'd never pass up a movie that I wanted because of them.
Old 01-29-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I hate those dreaded things, I wouldn't want to pass up on a great movie just because it's in a crappy case. If the DVD came in a paper bag I'd still get it.
Old 01-29-03, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Fok
I do see your point of view as I take pride in my collection. Seeing those snappers on my shelf really f**ks me off.
Oh, Man, if that upsets you, wait until you have some REAL problems.

I buy for what's on the disk, not the case, so it makes no difference to me.
Old 01-29-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell no.
Old 01-29-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I buy the movie, not the cover.
Old 01-29-03, 02:46 PM

For a movie I really want, I'll suffer the snapper.
For ad-hoc purchases, I almost always choose something in an Amaray over a snapper. WB could've made at least a few hundred bucks off my cheap ass by now if weren't for their cases.

Last edited by acostigan; 01-29-03 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: DO you ever pass over a Snapper dvd in hope for a Amaray release?WB, WAKE UP!!

Originally posted by Rainet
I'm starting to pass over a release that's in a snapper case lately, unless it's a must buy
Hint: It's not a very good movie.

If you don't buy the movie because it's in a snapper case, it's not that good of a movie. I would buy Do The Right Thing if it came in a plastic bag. I would not buy E.T. even though it's in a neat case.
Old 01-29-03, 02:49 PM
Banned

Bottom line:

Old 01-29-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you really think WB are losing money becauese they are still using snappers?

I do wish that all of the cases were the same, but I'll live. I also keep my snappers on their own shelf, so when a movie in a series comes out without a snapper (Austin Powers, Blade), I end not keeping them together. I'm about as anal as anyone I know, but I don't even consider not buying a movie because of the stupid case.
Old 01-29-03, 03:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hint: It's not a very good movie.

If you don't buy the movie because it's in a snapper case, it's not that good of a movie. I would buy Do The Right Thing if it came in a plastic bag. I would not buy E.T. even though it's in a neat case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bus

You brought up a very good point. If it's a must buy, I pick it up regardless of the package. I think another point i want to make is.

If i walk in a store, and saw two movies that i equally love. One is in a amaray, and the other is in a snapper. But i can only afford one. I would pick the amaray.

This is why I don't understand why WB doesn't see this, don't they know that most people prefer amaray? As i read on the board, most people will buy the dvd regardless of the packaging, which obviously is the right motive in spite my rant, but still prefer amaray if had a choice. I am just surprised that Warner doesn't seem to care about our feedback.

Last edited by Rainet; 01-29-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-29-03, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rainet
If i walk in a store, and saw two movies that i equally love. One is in a amaray, and the other is in a snapper. But i can only afford one. I would pick the amaray.

This is why I don't understand why WB doesn't see this, don't they know that most people prefer amaray? As i read on the board, most people will buy the dvd regardless of the packaging, which honestly is the right motive in spite my rant, but still prefer amaray if had a choice. I am just surprised that Warner doesn't seem to care about our feedback.
You know why? because the reality is...

IF I LIKE A MOVIE...I'M GOING TO BUY IT IF THEY PUT IT IN A HAIRNET WITH LINT SURROUNDING IT.

I don't know what your confusion is. If you pick up the Amaray movie...and you like it just as much as the other movie...would you not EVENTUALLY buy the snapper anyway? Would you continually hold off buying a movie that you like JUST to see if an amaray ever comes out??? You said that you would prefer the amaray if you had a choice but YOU DON'T!!! You have a choice between buying the movie or not. But you have no say in the packaging.

Again...I COMPLETELY fail to see the logic of this thread...

yet i continue to respond.
Old 01-29-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate snappers, however the issue isn't so big to determine purchases.

Its nice that New Line is getting rid of them on new releases, as well as newer pressings of older titles (saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night sporting a white keep case)
Old 01-29-03, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh

Its nice that New Line is getting rid of them on new releases, as well as newer pressings of older titles (saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last night sporting a white keep case)
I wonder when this thread is giong to turn into...

"if you found a movie that you kinda sorta liked and had previously bought on dvd but NOW found out that it's in an amaray case on the opposite coast from where you live, would you exchange?"

wow...

i think i need a moment in the corner...
Old 01-29-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
"if you found a movie that you kinda sorta liked and had previously bought on dvd but NOW found out that it's in an amaray case on the opposite coast from where you live, would you exchange?"
Sounds like the Austin Powers threads when people heard they were going to be recased.
Old 01-29-03, 03:31 PM

digitalfreaknyc

I respect your opinion, and i understand what your saying. And yes i would eventualy pick up the snapper. The point I am trying to come across is the whole marketing perspective. Don't most studios want the consumer to buy their products first and above all others. If i was in charge of marketing, the thought of the possibilties that some of my customers are coming back to my products later would be a major downfall in this cutthroat business.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.