Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What "wierd" thing do you do with your DVDs that makes others say "huh?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By Genre, then alphabetical, then chronological (Series, Sequels) Then lastly Box Sets.
Old 01-13-03, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always stored them alphabetically. Now, after reading this thread, I'm seriously considering sorting them by genre.
Old 01-13-03, 05:48 PM

I do naughty things with the hole in the middle.
Old 01-13-03, 06:01 PM

I find it very strange that people think I'm strange for organizing my DVD's. I have about 150 and they are alphabetical. People say "Are those in alphabetical order? Your'e nuts," "That must have taken forever, you have too much time on you're hands." I don't get it. Do people really think it's that hard to put things in alpha order? Didn't we all learn our ABC's in kindergarden? Sheesh! It only took a little while.
Old 01-13-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dress them in dolls clothes and have a tea party with them.

actually i like saving the top sticker label and pasting it on the back of amarays/alphas and on the inside of snappers.

i also fold a napkin or get some bubble pack and stick them inside the case so I don't get any floaters when I handle them.
Old 01-13-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'll dust 'em off every week.
thats not wierd...just smart.
Old 01-13-03, 06:27 PM
Cool New Member

I arrange mine alphabetically. And yes, some people have commented on it, but I never took their comments too seriously. I'm organized in some ways, but not in others . . . just like everyone.

I once did it with my record albums, then my cds, and I now I do it with my dvds.

Hmmm . . . Maybe I am weird after all! Wonder why I never thought to do it with my books?

Old 01-13-03, 06:40 PM

Genre, sub-genre, then alphabetical if it makes sense. For me, I usually end up saying "I'm in the mood for a (comedy, drama, sci fi, action, etc.)", so this allows me (and my guests) to browse more easily. God knows how you would do this with an alphabetical organization - I'd end up having to browse through over 400 titles unless I was set on a specific film!
Old 01-13-03, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by NoirTech
I too have had people look at me weird cause I alphabetized my collection. Still don't know what is so wrong with that. I mean, I do that with my CDs as well. How can I keep track of over 1000 CDs any other way?
Though, people have looked at me even more strangely cause I bought Snapper Box Sleeves for all my DVDs that came in snapper type cases. Got these from Bags Unlimited. Ok, so yeah..that might be a bit odd, but damnit, I want my DVDs to stay looking new.
Oh yeah...and the 3rd thing that people always think I'm crazy for doing.... When I buy a boxset or slipcase that I can take the DVD out without having to fully remove the original package wrapping, I will only rip that portion out and slip out the DVD. For example, my X-Files Season boxsets. I just open it from the bottom and slip the disks out to view.
....is that strange? I know I'm not the only one who does this....or am I?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention in the above post is that I also keep my DVDs behind a lock and key. :-) Lockable case that is. Except for the animated ones, which I allow my son to grab and play, when he is allowed to. So maybe yeah...I'm anal about my DVDs. My wife certainly thinks so.
Old 01-13-03, 07:06 PM

Only problem with alphabetical arrangement: You'll have the darn snappers mixed in with the keepcases!

IMO, the snappers looks better segregated to the left of the keepcased products. (It's that "sticking out farther" thing that is bothersome....and illegal in some U.S. states! )

Last edited by davidvp; 01-13-03 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:09 PM

I get strange looks when I sleep with my DVDs.
Doesn't everybody?!
(Question is: Do you still respect your FOTR in the morning?)

Last edited by davidvp; 01-13-03 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, Davidvp

Leave a little space in the back and just push everything in from behind . . . they will all line up even in the front.

It works!

Old 01-13-03, 07:17 PM

I Know people think I'm nuts especially my girlfriend. First off when I buy a DVD I take about 10 minutes to pick out the best one on the shelf, and if there is no perfect one, I wont buy it. There can't be even the slightest mark, case wrinkle ect ect. Some of the worst things are when the side of the case is cut, this is from the idiot cut open the case of DVD's with a knife and went to deep or when the pamphlet is off centered and you take the security tape off, it will remove some of the color from the pamphlet. I have about 150+ now and i have returned over 50 of them months later with no reciept because I found something wrong with one. The thing that amazes me the most is most people order dvds off line and the must not care about condition, most of the fifty that i returned came from online because the are always messed up. God forbid buying a used or blockbuster DVD. The best part is when you return a bad one you put it in the worst case you have and keep the good one. Anyway my DVD's are place mainly in color order all the whites go one one shelf and all the blacks on another and all the colored get put in a aesthetically pleasing order. This process takes hours especially when i get new movies. Oh and then there is the cleaning but we wont get into that.And NO one is ever allowed to touch them! I know i have problems, But i bet ya i have the nicest DvD's my opened ones are nicer then 95% of the sealed ones.
Old 01-13-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention in the above post is that I also keep my DVDs behind a lock and key.
It's amazing what some people consider strange. these people have never had anything ripped off before or they have no reason NOT to trust someone. fools. I'll say again that I converted one of our closets into a dvd vault. 1 electronic lock and 1 dead-bolt on the bottom. dvds are the reason I also subscribe to a local security service. dvds are the easiest thing to steal, why? crack-heads and other various un-employed losers can bag these up, all of them, in a very short time. I admire anyone who takes the time to put the collection in a lock-down mode. very smart thinking indeed. so these protection measures plus my killer dog and shotgun keep me pretty safe...I mean my dvds safe.
Old 01-13-03, 07:43 PM

Hey, Davidvp

Leave a little space in the back and just push everything in from behind . . . they will all line up even in the front.
I can't "push in from behind" with my set-up. Plus: This wouldn't be a good idea for me, because I have this habit of always wanting to "align" the DVD products on each shelf. Which, for me, entails constantly running a hand across the front of all the DVDs on a particular shelf, thus "lining them up" in perfect symmetry. I would be unable to perform this three-times-a-day symmetry chore if all the keepcased ones were pulled out a smidge. (Well, I could perform it, but you can see the difficulty. I'd take a while longer. )

Now here's a REALLY bad DVD-itis one (I guess that would mean "inflammation of your DVD, but never mind that)......

I like the actual disc to be readable (left to right) when the case is opened.
Now this is next-to-impossible to achieve on most Amaray keepcases, because of its "floating" hub design, permitting the disc to rise above the case and spin freely on its axis. With snappers, it is possible to arrange this uniformity of disc labels. And on the "type B" of Amarays, which have a much tighter hub design (you know, the ones with just the little "notched" opening device on the side).

BTW....The official definition of "symmetry" defines perfectly what I like about a well-maintained DVD library......

"Beauty of form arising from balanced proportions"

That describes mine to a tee!
Many people have commented on how balanced my proportions are.

Last edited by davidvp; 01-13-03 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by D_N_G
I keep the top sticker label with the name/upc for every dvd I purchase. Just fold it up and slide it in with the Inserts. Everyone thinks I'm crazy (and probably am), but when they learn they can send those in instead of hacking up the dvd cover for a rebate/freebie (most of them take these), they dont think its that crazy anymore.
I put the top label/sticker thing on the spine of the dvd case when I can get it off in one piece.
Old 01-13-03, 07:52 PM

By Studio. The Universal, Paramount (even though the Emblem switched from bottom to top last year), Fox, Dreamworks, Columbia, and ofcourse Warner Snappers all look better when lined up together. I do separate the box sets and even Vista series and such from the rest. Oh and yes my wife also thinks I somewhat over do it on the organizational side. Calls it "my sickeness". I am sorry when you have 350+ of anything, you have got to organize!
Old 01-13-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to organize them from my favorite film to my least favorite film. Now chaos seems to be taking over.

I don't think I will ever alphabetize my DVD's. I spent six hours doing that at work once during the middle of the night. It got extremely boring.
Old 01-13-03, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Autobiographical.

Yep, I can tell you how I got from American Beauty to The Royal Tenenbaums in 25 moves. And, if I want to find the movie Creepshow I have to remember that I bought it for somebody in the fall of 1983 pile, but didn't give it to them for personal reasons.
Old 01-13-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by siberianhusky
I Know people think I'm nuts especially my girlfriend. First off when I buy a DVD I take about 10 minutes to pick out the best one on the shelf, and if there is no perfect one, I wont buy it. There can't be even the slightest mark, case wrinkle ect ect. Some of the worst things are when the side of the case is cut, this is from the idiot cut open the case of DVD's with a knife and went to deep or when the pamphlet is off centered and you take the security tape off, it will remove some of the color from the pamphlet. I have about 150+ now and i have returned over 50 of them months later with no reciept because I found something wrong with one. The thing that amazes me the most is most people order dvds off line and the must not care about condition, most of the fifty that i returned came from online because the are always messed up. God forbid buying a used or blockbuster DVD. The best part is when you return a bad one you put it in the worst case you have and keep the good one. Anyway my DVD's are place mainly in color order all the whites go one one shelf and all the blacks on another and all the colored get put in a aesthetically pleasing order. This process takes hours especially when i get new movies. Oh and then there is the cleaning but we wont get into that.And NO one is ever allowed to touch them! I know i have problems, But i bet ya i have the nicest DvD's my opened ones are nicer then 95% of the sealed ones.
Ding Ding Ding!!!!! We have a winner!!!!! Now that is some wierd ocd stuff - even for this forum! Do you flick your light switches seven times every night before bed as well?
Old 01-13-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I organize mine by UPC code. Makes movies MUCH easier to find.

I also smell each new addition to my collection. There's nothing like that new-DVD smell.. kinda like the new-car smell, only better.
Old 01-13-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife was just asking me this morning why I was removing the "antitheft thingy" from all of my new DVDs. Surely everyone does this right???
Old 01-13-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that I'm married and have inherited two children (5 and 7), I have to make my organizing more family friendly, which is why I do the alphabetizing. ALso, I live in the same house as my brother, who often borrows my DVDs to watch. If I didn't do them alphabetically, I'd have to hear "Do you have ____?". But the way I have them, he and his girlfreind can go look for themselves without bugging me!

After seeing what my wife's kids did to their VHS tapes prior to us being married, I made sure I let them know not to touch the DVDs without asking me or mom (I've instructed her on the anal-ness of keeping my discs and cases in pristine condition). Their VHS tapes were all either cracked, had mysterious stains on them, or were without their sleeves (which made it tough to resell in order to replace them with DVDs).

While my kids DVDs are on a low shelf for them to see, they finally know not to yank them off the shelf without asking me - but I still get nervous when they or the wife handle Beauty and the Beast with the fancy packaging. Some day I will get a locking case! God forbid when they start inviting friends over to watch DVDs. Oh, the horra!

After watching a movie, I twist the discs around so that the label/title on the disc is straight. I do that with my CDs, too. It's a nice way to find out when someone's been messing with your discs (they'll put them back in not aligned). Anal, very anal.

Last edited by SleepyW; 01-13-03 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
My wife was just asking me this morning why I was removing the "antitheft thingy" from all of my new DVDs. Surely everyone does this right???
Oh man. That's one of my favorite things to do. I peel it off and play with it for about an hour. Meaning that I just move it from finger to finger absent-mindedly. Drives my wife nuts. Heck, I even remove it from DVDs that I borrow from other people. I know they'll never even notice it's gone. heh.

Hmmm. I'm going to quit posting. I sound stranger with every post.

Later!
Old 01-13-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I even disassemble snapper cases and pull out the antitheft devices from the back of the plastic hub.

As for organizing, I separated all the animated and anime titles* and put them on a separate shelf in alphabetical order.
All the rest are on the main shelf in alphabetical order.
Exceptions include series of movies are together in order and the Kevin Smith movies are in order of release after Clerks (under "C")

*Clerks Animated is with the Kevin Smith movies.

One thing I do which some might find odd is turn a few select titles so the face "faces" out. I have things like my Akira tin set, and my Absolutely Fabulous box facing out like this. It really shows off some of my neater titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.