Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Complete List of Classic Film Noir on DVD + An Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
DVDBeaver has a review for Ace in the Hole too.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...n_the_hole.htm
Old 07-09-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like some good extras.
Old 07-10-07, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting how people read different things into reviews. when I read DVDBeaver's review I noticed the following:

1) PICTUREBOX! This is insulting. This an archaic accomodation for TVs that have overscanning problems. what test systems is Criterion using nowadays anyhow? A 1965 Syvania 13" Tube?

2)"I couldn't get the audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman to work"

So, up to 15% loss of picture resolution and defective audio = $40 price tag that everyone will salivate over to get. Grrrrr.

How I wish some other company would release this film!!

For those not familiar with the problem of picture boxing, I will quote DVD Beaver here:

As with the Forbidden Games, The Virgin Spring and La bęte humaine releases by Criterion (as well as Nanook of the North) the image has been 'pictureboxed' to overcome 'overscan' on commercially made tube television sets (can be up to a 15% loss of image and this is significant!). Pictureboxing leaves a black border around the edge of the image and most players automatically zoom-in to fill the screen - it limits resolution making the image slightly less detailed than it might be able to achieve. The benefit of pictureboxing is that it adds more visible viewing area so that the majority of DVD purchasers (most people own and watch through tubes) can see even more of what is on the negative - the way the film was meant to be viewed. DVDBeaver feels that equipment invariably improves at a much lower price and much faster these days and catering to people with inferior equipment can easily come back and haunt you when the hardware climate advances (it is doing so monthly). I'll wager that tube TV's are selling at at much lower rate than other viewing systems these days. We feel you will own your DVDs (especially your Criterion DVDs) much longer than you will own your current viewing system - I say this is true for myself having just purchased a plasma TV today! (I will still own my Criterion DVDs long after this brand new television is in the trashcan). The overscan problem associated with tube TVs can be corrected relatively inexpensively (incremental zoom DVD players, HTPC viewing, even some TVs now can zoom out to compensate etc.).
Old 07-10-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He acknowledged in his review that the cause for the audio problems could have been his system. Just speaking for myself here, but being unable to play an audio excerpt isn't going to be a deal-breaker. As far as the price goes, only a fool would pay 40 bucks for a Criterion. My pre-order price from DVD Planet, including coupon, was $23.47.

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-10-07 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How in the hell did I miss news of this MGM Noir line? Been dying to upgrade The Stranger for years now. Is this the first wave?
Old 07-13-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chente
How in the hell did I miss news of this MGM Noir line? Been dying to upgrade The Stranger for years now. Is this the first wave?
As far as I know no other wave has been announced. Yet.
Old 07-13-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Steve

2)"I couldn't get the audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman to work"
Looks like Savant's copy played fine:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29124
Old 07-15-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
As far as I know no other wave has been announced. Yet.
The next set of titles haven't been announced yet but on the review of Kansas City Confidential, DVD Savant states that more titles are forthcoming from MGM in the fall.
Old 07-21-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A big thanks to Multi-Region (Robert) at the Home Theatre Forum for this info but it seems that Fox has posted a list of upcoming Noirs and Classic movies including a rerelease of Boomerang (1947)...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...&postcount=643

http://www.foxclassics.com/comingsoon.php
Old 09-18-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kino will be issuing a box set of their noirs that weren't collected in the previous set on 11/20/07, entitled "Film Noir: Five Classics from the Studio Vaults" : Scarlet Street (one of the top 10 noirs ever, IMO), They Made Me A Fugitive (excellent Brit noir), Contraband, Strange Impersonation (a decent film despite the ludicrous ending), and The Hitch-hiker (average, though the titular hitch hiker is enjoyably twisted, perhaps the only noir directed by a woman, Ida Lupino). Though the print quality varies from title to title, it should be quite cheap, as the previous Kino noir set, with the same list price, is $28.73 at DDD.
Old 07-18-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like DVD Beaver have updated their invaluable Definitive Film Noir on DVD Resource here. Also, I'm sure everyone is already aware of these from the Fox Noir thread, but to update this thread accordingly, here is the artwork/specs for the upcoming wave of Fox Noirs:

Road House (1948)

* Audio Commentary
* Featurette
* Interactive Pressbook
* Still Galleries:
o Behind the Scenes
o Lobby Cards and Production Art
o Glamour Shots
o Production Stills
* Fox Noir:
o Daisy Kenyon
o Black Widow
o Fourteen Hours
o House of Strangers
o Inferno
o Moontide

Moontide (1942)
BONUS FEATURES:

* Audio Commentary
* Featurette
* Theatrical Trailer
* Still Galleries:
o Behind the Scenes
o Concept Art and Poster Gallery
o Glamour Shots
o Production Stills
* Fox Noir:
o Black Widow
o Dangerous Crossing
o Inferno
o Laura
o Vicki

Boomerang (1947)

Artwork is the same as previous recalled release.

BONUS FEATURES:

* Audio Commentary by film historians Alain Silver and Jame Ursini
* Poster Gallery
* Unit Photography Gallery
* Theatrical Trailer

Both Moontide and Road House are available for pre-order on Amazon, but Boomerang is not. Could this mean it's being pushed back yet again?

Also, here is the link to the Touch of Evil SE thread. I think that gets us up to date.

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-18-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From classic flix:
**VCI** has announced a November 18th release date for Forgotten Noir Collector's Set, Vol. 4. This fourth installment of the "Forgotten Noir" line has the addition of "Crime" to it, and as with Volume 3, will be a three disc set with each DVD containing a triple feature.
It will retail for $29.99. Details below:
The titles are:

* Counterspy Meets Scotland Yard (1950)
* Radar Secret Service (1950)
* Motor Patrol (1950)
* Mr. District Attorney (1941)
* Western Pacific Agent (1950)
* Highway 13 (1948)
* Treasure of Monte Cristo (1951)
* Roaring City (1949)
* Sky Liner (1949)

Counterspy Meets Scotland Yard (1950)
When enemy agents obtain leaked secrets about a guided missile reservation, the chief of America's counterspy division (Howard St. John) and Scotland Yard's top sleuth (Ron Randell) get on an investigative trail which quickly leads to a reservation secretary (Gunsmoke's Miss Kitty, Amanda Blake).

Radar Secret Service (1950)
When enemy agents obtain leaked secrets about a guided missile reservation, the chief of America's counterspy division (Howard St. John) and Scotland Yard's top sleuth (Ron Randell) get on an investigative trail which quickly leads to a reservation secretary (Gunsmoke's Miss Kitty, Amanda Blake).

Motor Patrol (1950)
Roaring down America's highways in the pursuit of justice, motorcycle policemen put the heat on a car theft ringleader who uses a legitimate garage as a front. When Officer Bill Henry is killed in the line of duty, rookie Don Castle, the fiancé of Henry's sister, gets him assigned to the case and infiltrates the gang.

Mr. District Attorney (1941)
When Harvard Law School graduate P. Cadwallader Jones (Dennis O'Keefe) bungles his first assignment in the D.A.'s office, he is next assigned the make-work job of reviewing the closed case of a crooked city official (Peter Lorre) who vanished with a stolen $100,000. The cold case suddenly gets hot when the money begins to reappear, and a series of brutal murders ensues! There's plenty of fast-moving action in this crime melodrama laced with humor.

Western Pacific Agent (1950)
A "modern Western," set in the year it was released (1951). The railroad assigns its top agent Kent Taylor to investigate a payroll robbery and the murder of a paymaster. Meanwhile, the felon's father (Morris Carnovsky) is also desperately trying to convince the wayward boy (Mickey Knox) to forsake his life of crime.

Highway 13 (1948)
It's murder on wheels when a trucking company loses several vehicles in a series of mysterious crashes--and a company honcho dies in a road accident that is equally inexplicable. Truck driver Robert Lowery soon finds himself enmeshed in the whodunit, which involves a café truck stop, an ex-gangster mechanic and indications of sabotage.

Treasure of Monte Cristo (1951)
A web of death, intrigue and daring love entwines merchant seaman Glenn Langan, a descendent of the Count of Monte Cristo, as he searches modern-day San Francisco for the fortune in long-missing jewels to which he is the rightful heir. Crooked lawyers, a murder and a frame-up are among the obstacles thrown in his path. Great location photography.

Roaring City (1949)
Private eye Dennis O'Brien (Hugh Beaumont) will do anything for a dame or a dollar, tackling two more assignments filled with pistol-point suspense. The first involves a "fixed" fight, double-crosses and, of course, murder. Later, his reward for hiring out to pose as a young beauty's husband is a knockout blow to the head and a false murder charge!

Sky Liner (1949)
Attention, Homeland Security! It's Grand Hotel in the air as the usual wild assortment of travelers (movie actress, eloping couple, child singer, spinsters, crooks, more) board a LaGuardia Airport flight, unaware that other passengers might be spies and counter-spies, complete with secret documents, poison and elaborate plans to engage in international espionage!
Old 09-05-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love those VCI sets. Looks like the new one will make it in time for the DD sale, which should make it pretty dirt cheap (likely less than $15 for 9 flicks...)
Old 10-21-08, 01:58 AM

Case in point: does Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye" qualify?
Old 10-21-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
Case in point: does Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye" qualify?
As what? A film noir from the classic period? Since it was released in 1973, 15 years after Touch of Evil, the answer would be no. If anything, The Long Goodbye would qualify as neo-Noir, like Chinatown or L.A. Confidential.
Old 10-23-08, 09:34 AM

I recently watched Le Doulos, directed by Jean-Pierre Melville. It's an excellent noir in a very nice Criterion edition. Granted it's a French movie, but remember that the term film noir didn't exist until the French coined it!
Old 01-24-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Complete List of Classic Film Noir on DVD + An Introduction

From ClassicFlix Blog:
Film Noir Double Feature, Vol. 3 (3/3/09): Retail $19.99

The Amazing Mr. X (1948, 77 min.)
Mystery, romance and warm drama – a charlatan, portrayed by Turhan Bey, poses as a spiritualistic medium to manipulate his chief victim portrayed by Lynn Bari. The victim’s sister (Cathy O’Donnell) suspicious of Bey, sets out to prove him a fraud – until she falls in love with him. Bey is so influenced by Miss O’Donnell that he decides to give up his fraudulent ways. But, it may be too late! Blackmail may be the undoing of the charlatan turned repentant.

Reign of Terror A.K.A The Black Book (1949, 88 min.)
France 1794 – a taut, fast paced adventure set during the French Revolution that plays more like a gritty Film Noir thriller; courtesy of auteur director Anthony Mann and cameraman extraordinaire John Alton, plus an expert cast led by Robert Cummings who turns in a surprisingly tough performance and the most lovely Arlene Dahl.

BONUS FEATURES:

* The Amazing Mr. X Commentary by Jay Fenton
* Reign of Terror Commentary by Alan Rode
* Photo Poster Gallery
* Trailers

Great news. I've always wanted to see The Black Book, and I'm assuming the transfer of Mr. X will be an improvement over the ratty Image disc.
Old 01-24-09, 04:39 PM
Cool New Member

I was going to pick up these collections from VCI. Are they recommended?
Old 02-07-09, 04:19 PM

if you have never seen BLAST OF SILENCE, i highly recommend it. it's the greatest noir I've ever seen!
Old 04-23-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone pick up the Amazing Mr.X and Black Book DVD ?

I was wondering if the quality is decent on these?
Old 04-24-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drake
Anyone pick up the Amazing Mr.X and Black Book DVD ?

I was wondering if the quality is decent on these?
From Dave Kehr's review:
.....while not pristine, they’ve been brought back to highly watchable form through a combination of chemical and digital restoration techniques.
Old 04-27-09, 05:37 AM

Another forum reports that Reign of Terror is unfortunately edited UK version.
Old 05-07-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on He Ran All the Way
Old 05-08-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Is the movie "Repeat Performance" available anywhere? I tried tracking down a boot of it years ago for my mom before she passed away, and never found it. I would love to see it at some point, since it was one of her favorites...

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-08-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 03:00 PM

This thread alone has just made me join this forum, a pleasure to read and great work by those concerned.

I'm a self confessed film noir nut needing to expand my collection so the list, and some of the recommendations, has been invaluable.