Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gay themed film: transfer quality - reviews - recommendations - etc 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 07:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by raytrade
How about some gay titles to avoid? Any ones people particularly thought were awful?

I'll start with a couple I thought were ridiculously bad:
Laguna Beach: A Love Affair (too boring for words)
Boys of Cellblock Q (very bad campy B-movie)

...and one that I had high hopes for but personally was very disappointed in:
But I'm A Cheerleader

The Night Larry Kramer Kissed Me (Could have been good but much too pretentious)
Straightman (Makes Plan 9 from Outer Space look good)
Old 01-31-03, 07:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by raytrade
How about some gay titles to avoid? Any ones people particularly thought were awful?

I'll start with a couple I thought were ridiculously bad:
Laguna Beach: A Love Affair (too boring for words)
Boys of Cellblock Q (very bad campy B-movie)

...and one that I had high hopes for but personally was very disappointed in:
But I'm A Cheerleader
the upcoming release of a British movie called Endgame, stank to high heaven. Cartoonish characters that you had no sympathy for. A thriller that had no thrills. Scenes that made no sense whatsoever. Sadistic violence that was so out of place. Avoid this like the plague, really, don't waste your time or money on this film.
Old 02-01-03, 07:37 AM

I posted some reviews in the other forum and glad to see some "gay" related discussions here.

I personally liked all the "circuit" films recently...ie "On the Bus", "When Boys Fly" and "Circuit".....

I really wish "Maurice" and "Torch Song Trilogy" would be released...two of my all time favorites.....

Any thoughts or comments on "Borstal Boy"? I've been meaning to pick it up.
Old 02-01-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NYCnet, Maurice is readily aviable in zone 2 if you have a region free player. Totally agree on Torch Song Trilogy. Whats the deal with that? Anyone know what the hold up is? Rights?
Old 02-01-03, 11:59 AM

I'd love a good R1 release of Beautiful Thing.
Old 02-01-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here some I watched that are gay themed from Greencine.

All Over Guy-Fantastic and so funny, there are many surprise camoes in this flick as well. My favorite is actress Doris Roberts, hearing her swear made me laugh for ages.
The Decameron-Bad NC-17 flick said to have alot skin. Yeah right, not worth even to fast foward.
Speedway Junky-hmm...average...which is not what any is expecting from gay movie with Johnan Taylor Thomas. He's barely in it and theme be done better in other movies but its okay.
Get real- Fantastic! Great chemistry, great cast, great story.
Wild Reeds- Fantasic! Foriegn French Film
L.I. E.- Very Very daring NC-17 Flick about Pedophiles. Shockingly good because of its honest approach of showing that Pedophiles do not have 666 tatooed to there forehead, they seem "normal" and "nice". Which makes this creepiest, scariest flick I ever seen. Also really cool is theme being gay vs being sick bastard that happens to like underage boys and huge difference that is. Thankfully "just-deserves" are served to evil. VERY VERY hard movie to watch.
From the Edge of the City- Import flick, so yes subtitles again for those that are lazy. About male prostitution focused on one very macho guy. I say average, worth rent at least.
Come Undone- Fantastic, I am starting to get theme here, Its second French film I seen.
Criminal Lovers- LOL. One messed up B grade import about girl that lies about being raped to guy so he helps her kill this other guy for no real good reason. They end up captured by man in woods that has his way with boy. While there is some tender motions between two, its so low grade, weak, silly and unattractive at times to recommend.
Bully- OH BOY!! Only took about 4 months in quene to finally get this title, good luck! Unrated version: Based on real story about group of sorryass teenagers with no morals. Expected very dark, senseless entertainment. I have to recommend it though Larry Clark sure has way filming young bodies.
Trio- I actually shut this one off, I wont even go into false advertising on this one. Its mundane and lifelessness speaks for itself.
Before Night Falls-Good! I sure every just about aware of this story about the writer.
Level C- Rare Japanese Anime. Very short(30mins), below average quality and story compared to other japanese animes. Does not show "good stuff" so to speak like cool devices, la blue girl, instead it opts for mosaic japanese tradition.
The Perfect Son- I could see why alot people might given this one positive review but I did not care for it. It felt to forced and hollow to me. Yes one brother has drinking problem and yes "perfect" older son not so surprisingly ends up being gay and dying. Perhaps most appealing to those on realistic side as not much of anything is accomplished.
Not Love Just Frenzy- Crazy import that, gee...hmm, goes in alot directions. Aka Friends theme, murder, gore. Not much "gay time" outside drag queens. The one gay character though is interesting and quite shame they did not explore more with straight guy he hung out with, they seemed have good chemistry.
Forgive and Forget- Perfect guide to how NOT to come out. A totally selfish guy that seems to use his secret(being gay) to hurt alot people around him. Sad, as would be neat to see how people reacted if he had any decency at all. I learned whole new vocabulary with this one. Mate, wanker, bloke, its a whole new cultural experience! he
Spin the Bottle-Gah, How could such a easy theme about playing spin the bottle with childhood friends as adults go so bad. It feels like your watching Madtv. I do have to confess thought it was definitely worth rental thanks to about 5mins when only couple there confessrd to each other they slept with same guy/same night. LOL the womens reaction and behavior was priceless.

P.S. For love of god if there is more french films, aka Wild Reeds, Come Undone, please tell me, PM me, list them! I love seem they, quite rare.

Last edited by madara; 02-01-03 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-01-03, 10:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by NYCNetguy
I posted some reviews in the other forum and glad to see some "gay" related discussions here.

I personally liked all the "circuit" films recently...ie "On the Bus", "When Boys Fly" and "Circuit".....

I really wish "Maurice" and "Torch Song Trilogy" would be released...two of my all time favorites.....

Any thoughts or comments on "Borstal Boy"? I've been meaning to pick it up.
Watched "Borstal Boy" this morning and I really was very moved by the story of Irish writer and political activist Brendan Behan experiencing adolescent life and love in a British labour camp. Shawn Hatosey really gave a commendable performance and his accent isn't that bad. The only real negative aspect of this movie is the DVD transfer. It's fullscreen and might not be it's correct aspect ratio. Strand Home video seemed to drop the ball on this title. The sound is okay and even in Pro-Logic 4-channel stereo mode the center channel is not properly mixed, the voices come from the the two right and left speakers creating a phantom center track(?). The end titles denote Dolby Digital soundtrack yet the fact that the sound is lacklustre suggests that it wasn't included and even used. Other than from these DVD flaws I recommend this movie.
Old 02-02-03, 08:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by madara
Here some I watched that are gay themed from Greencine.

P.S. For love of god if there is more french films, aka Wild Reeds, Come Undone, please tell me, PM me, list them! I love seem they, quite rare.
You're right on both Wild Reeds and Come Undone; they're both excellent. The only other French movie I have is Adventures of Felix, not quite as good as the first too but definitely worth seeing.
Old 02-02-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ClubThings.com has a 10% off coupon specific to their Gay movie section. It makes the 2 QAF seasons pretty cheap. I posted the code in the DVD bargains forum, here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=268322

Any particular bargains anyone recommends?
Old 02-02-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NYCNetguy
Was "On the Bus" a circuit film? I was thinking of getting it, but the description at clubthings.com makes it sound more like a Real World road adventure type movie. Does it have to do with the circuit party scene at all?
Old 02-10-03, 07:23 AM
Cool New Member

Finally got around to watching When Boys Fly this weekend and honestly cannot recommend it. It makes a handy video record of all the drugs currently in use, if that's your thing and you've fried your brain so much you can't remember all the names. Acting, writing etc rate in the single digits but there is a lot of pretty skin shown.

Also watched Before Night Falls. Excellent film.
Old 02-21-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news! Digital Bits has just announced several gay-themed films for 6/3.

• The Sum of Us
• It's My Party: Special Edition
• Wigstock
• Jeffrey
• Bent
• My Beautiful Laundrette
• The Hanging Garden

SRP on each is $19.98. I'll definitely be picking up several of these!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 02-21-03 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to DVDPlanet, the It's My Party SE will include audio commentary, 3 featurettes, deleted scenes w/director's commentary, photo gallery and trailer.

Rob
Old 02-21-03, 06:15 PM

oooh.. I'm so excited about its my party SE!!! That film totally deserves the SE treatment since its such a wonderful film! Do we know which company is releasing these?
Old 02-21-03, 06:50 PM
Cool New Member

One not mentioned here but I recommend is "Don't Tell Anyone" http://us.imdb.com/Title?0166287

I rented this one from Netflix.
Old 02-21-03, 06:54 PM
Banned

I just saw the Fluffer the other night for the first time.
It started out interesting and than got worse at the movie went on.
What was the moral of this story?

Great news about Jeffry and Its my Party. What no Olivia Music video?
Old 02-21-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mikey
Do we know which company is releasing these?
MGM. Digital Bits said they'd have more details and cover art on Monday.

Rob
Old 02-22-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by merr14
One not mentioned here but I recommend is "Don't Tell Anyone" http://us.imdb.com/Title?0166287
The funny thing is I've seen the "Don't Tell Anyone" DVD several times when browsing the gay cinema section at various stores, and I always thought it was a lesbian film because the guy on the cover looks like a girl (especially with the long hair)

BTW- Just got my Queer As Folk Season 2 DVD preorder early from Clubthings.com. Can't wait to see it!!!!
Old 02-22-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by merr14

I rented this one from Netflix.
merr14, I wasn't aware this was released. Do you recall the aspect ratio? If it was not a full frame film, was it anamorphically enhanced?

Jim
Old 02-22-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RobCA
Tales of the City now has a 2/25 release date. Same day as QAF: Season 2!
http://www.tlavideo.com/templates/ca...2&v=2&c=2&sn=1

Special features, according to TLA:
Audio Commentary: With Armistead Maupin, Alastair Reed, Laura Linney, Olympia Dukakis and Barbara Garrick
Documentaries: Behind-the-scenes, interviews

At 6 hours, I'm guessing this will be a 3-disc set. TLA has the SRP at $59.95.

Oh, and check this out: I'm glad her song is gone, since I no longer approve of Donna Summer.

Rob
Just a reminder since the original thread was posted in December!

Sam
Old 02-22-03, 02:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by FaustBos
merr14, I wasn't aware this was released. Do you recall the aspect ratio? If it was not a full frame film, was it anamorphically enhanced?

Jim
It is a full screen 1.33:1 format. And netflix indicates this one is region free.
Old 02-26-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a few questions......

I'm considering getting The Queer As Folk dvds but I really know nothing about the series, except that it is an American version of a UK show that had the same name. I'm addicted to most of the HBO original series (The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Six Feet Under, Oz, Band of Brothers, etc..) on dvd and have run out of things to watch. I don't get HBO or Showtime so I cannot watch any of these shows before buying the dvds (and I don't rent dvds). I'm a straight male, but it seems that a lot of the glowing reviews on Amazon are also from straight viewers, so I'm willing to give this show a try. So, how does Queer As Folk compare to the quality of the HBO shows? (in terms of drama, writing, acting, and production value?)

Also, I noticed on Amazon.ca that Queer As Folk Season 1 and 2 are being released in Canada, both on March 25th (a month later than Season 2 is released on dvd in the US). Season 1 is priced really cheap, so it's tempting to get it, but the box looks different than the US version.
Compare:
Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...214685-3226415

The Canadian version is about $60USD, nice price, but does anyone know if it will be the same as the US release, especially in terms of extra features? The Amazon.com one and the Amazon.ca one list different ASIN numbers for Season 1, but same ASIN numbers for Season 2.

I also have some questions about the Tales of the City series. I know virtually nothing about them, but almost picked up More Tales of the City a few times just because I saw that Parker Posey was in it. I never did because I just couldn't bring myself to buy the middle part of a series. Anyway, now that Tales of the City is coming out, I'm considering giving this series a try....
Again, how does this series compare to the HBO shows?
Is it necessary or even just important to watch them in order?

Of course, now that Tales of the City is coming out, it looks like More Tales of the City might be OOP? Is this true? There are 2 different listings for it on Amazon. One by A-Pix Entertainment: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd and one by DVD International: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Which one is better? According to the features listed on Amazon, the DVD International one appears better.
It appears that More Tales of the City is more available in Canada and is released by Distribution Select: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...214685-3226415 but no special features are listed (seems to be a common problem with the Amazon.ca site) so does anyone know if this version has any special features and if it is identical to either of the two US versions that have been released?

Same question for Further Tales of the City......
US release by Showtime Entertainment: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
CAN release by Distribution Select: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/...214685-3226415

I guess I am just asking for someone to tell me which version to get, or if there isn't a difference.

Tales of the City has the same ASIN number on both sites, so I assume they are identical.

What channel was this series originally aired on? or were the different parts aired on different channels?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide me!
Old 02-26-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Let's see... Firstly, I wouldn't recommend you get the US version of Queer As Folk as a blind buy. Rent first. I enjoy it, but I don't think it compares too well to the various HBO shows you mention. It is essentially an R-rated soap-opera... A shallow, glossy look at some of the shallowest gay people you might meet... You may come to care for some of the characters, but they're nearly always infuriating, and the writing is anything but 3-dimensional... The scripts weren't bad during the first season--although there were some real groaner moments--but the writing took a huge nosedive during year two. Don't know yet whether it'll shape up again... Or whether it's just gonna stink now... Can't tell you much about that odd tan-colored release of Season One, extras-wise. It's not the normal US package.

Tales From the City, and More Tales and Further Tales are based on a group of novels that were first published in a San Franscisco newspaper as a continuing fiction serial... The books are very funny, and you could even go so far as to call them an important touchstone in gay literature--although they're terribly silly. Tales was made as a PBS mini-series, but didn't fare well in ratings. Years later, the sequels More Tales and Further Tales were made for Showtime. My understanding is that each series is a little worse than the one before, but I would expect (given the source) that they are all still fun enough... But again, not particularly 3-dimensional--more of a half-comedy soap opera with hippie trimmings...

Last edited by adamblast; 02-26-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Let's see... Firstly, I wouldn't recommend you get the US version of Queer As Folk as a blind buy.
Thanks for all your imput. If you are familiar with the UK version of Queer As Folk, would you recommend that as a blind buy over the US version. Seems like a lot of reviewers thought it was better and funnier. I generally love British sitcoms and hate American sitcoms........but like American drama and have not had much experience with any British drama I have found that interesting.

Honestly, I just can't bring myself to rent dvds. If I hate something I just sell it online, and the money I recoup from that usually makes my loss less that had I rented something. Probably even more true with a tv series. I also cannot stand renting these horrible scratched up discs that sometimes no longer play correctly. So basically my decision boils down to whether I buy these shows or not.

Does anyone know anything about these Canadian versions I posted above?
Old 02-27-03, 08:02 AM

Be warned about that if you buy the canadian version of More Tales of the City and Further Tales of the City distribured by Select, they have a condom inserted in the wrap. I saw them at a local store in Toronto.
But I hate the fact that they don't have closed captioning so that I can watch it and enjoy it. So I didn't buy them.

Giany

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.