DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/183345-one-only-evil-dead-series-versions-thread-merged-effect-thread.html)

UAIOE 08-11-02 05:02 PM

Originally posted by evenswr
Maybe it's time for a ONE AND ONLY WHICH VERSION OF ARMY OF DARKNESS SHOULD I GET thread...
I second that motion.

Ginwen 09-08-02 12:05 AM

I wish those pictures worked.

I have had the bootleg version for a while.

Got a good deal on what I THINK is the right version to supplement it tonight (it has Ash's head, and some skeletons on the front, Anchor Bay, THX, says it includes widescreen and full frame, original ending, trailer, featurette, and the dreaded talent bios).

Before I open it, I want to be sure this is the theatrical version. They had this version as well as the version with Ash looking like a superhero on the cover, standing on a tire, getting stabbed by a fork, getting a hotfoot....

Oh, the UPC on this one is 13131 09269

And yes, I've read all the 50 million threads--I'm still not 100 percent sure.

El-Kabong 09-08-02 01:56 AM

I've read all those threads - and I'm still confused as hell.

(For the purposes of discussion, lets ingore the Limited Edition and the Limited Edition Directors Cut. Aside from spending far too much on an E-bay edition, we'll never see a copy of those ever again. They dont count.)

Army of Darkness version 1.0 = the one with the S-Mart "I'll have to ask you to leave the store" ending. That's the one we all saw in the theaters.

Army of Darkness version 2.0 = the one with Ash drinking too much potion and waking up 100 years later than he should. Plus a couple of extra bits here and there (The "I aint that good" line, plus a couple of other scenes.)

That's everything, right?

Ok, so it goes like this -

The one with the orignial theatrical poster for the cover (
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite..._id=2183&tab=5) is Version 1.0 - but with no extras at all.

The one with Ash on the bottom screaming and the zombie on top ( http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite..._id=8326&tab=5 ) is version 1.0, right?

The one with the plain brown paper bag wrapper ( http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...id=40726&tab=5 ) is Version 2.0 right?

The Ash Screaming on the Bottom edition has the "Ash drinking too much" ending as an extra? S-Mart ending incorperated in movie, Ash drinking as extra.

The Plain Brown Wrapper edition has no S-mart ending anywhere on the disc, right?

UAIOE 09-08-02 01:59 AM

Greg, you have the Anchor Bay theatrical version.

That disc + your Bootleg edition = that orginal 2-disc set.

The other one you described...with the orginal poster artwork is the Universal version...be very glad you bought the Anchor Bay one.

BTW, when they say its got the orginal ending...its in the special features.

Originally posted by El-Kabong
The Plain Brown Wrapper edition has no S-mart ending anywhere on the disc, right?
Yes.

Ginwen 09-08-02 03:18 AM

Thanks!

evenswr 09-08-02 08:36 AM

Originally posted by gregschmidt
I wish those pictures worked.

Sorry.
They should work now.
You can also click on them now; I have included links to the items at Amazon.com.

Static Cling 09-08-02 09:28 AM

Merged threads on this popular topic.

UAIOE 09-08-02 03:55 PM

Thank You.

littlefuzzy 09-08-02 05:56 PM

I know this thread says the LE tin of Evil Dead II has the same disc as the "Kiss Your Nerves Goodbye" keepcase, but according to the re-release site that is in somebody's signature here, the tin has two discs... Can anyone who owns the tin confirm that there is only one disc in it?

caiman 09-08-02 06:07 PM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I know this thread says the LE tin of Evil Dead II has the same disc as the "Kiss Your Nerves Goodbye" keepcase, but according to the re-release site that is in somebody's signature here, the tin has two discs... Can anyone who owns the tin confirm that there is only one disc in it?
There is only one disc in the LE tin. Its the sxact same disc as the SE.

UAIOE 09-08-02 11:55 PM

Yep, a single disc in a cd case.

MrBill 01-26-03 06:48 AM

Evil Dead editions?

I'd like to purchase the 2 Evil Dead movies and the Army of Darkness. I've checked the various online DVD stores and found that there are 4+ editions of each movie. I don't know anything about these editions, so could use some help. What I really enjoy is:

- Crisp video
- DD 5.1 sound or equivalent
- Director's cuts
- Additional footage added to the theatrical release

What I do NOT care about is:

- Special features
- Commentary
- DVD-ROM features
- Trailers
- Outtakes
- Deleted scenes
- Fancy covers, including tin
- Anything else that is not part of the movie itself

Which editions of each movie would be the best for me, taking into consideration the above? Note that I have searched the forum but haven't found a clear answer to my question.

TIA, MrBill

UAIOE 01-27-03 01:08 AM

Elite edition of ED1

Anchor Bay newer release of ED 2

Boomstick Edition of Army of Darkness

Thank you, drive through.

Static Cling 01-27-03 04:24 AM

Have you checked this thread out? http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....d&pagenumber=1

MrBill 01-27-03 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Have you checked this thread out? http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....d&pagenumber=1
I hadn't searched far enough back to find this thread. This looks like what I need, THANKS!

MrBill

Bechman 2000 01-27-03 08:26 AM

Keep in mind that there's a new AOD edition coming out this year. It's the Broomstick Edition and it should prove to be the best release yet. I haven't purchased any of the previous editions, so I can't comment on those, but from what I've read, this should be worth waiting for. They're doing something like the Wonka candy bar "golden ticket" thing. One DVD will contain a "Dinner With Bruce Campbell" ticket. It looks like this will have the directors cut, as well as the theatrical release. Other than that, hopefully someone else can shed more light on this.

I'm sure there's a thread out there somewhere that has a whole discussion on this release.

MrBill 01-27-03 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Bechman 2000
Keep in mind that there's a new AOD edition coming out this year. It's the Broomstick Edition
Good tip, thanks! I had intended to ask UAIOE why the Broomstick edition wasn't mentioned in the main Evil Dead thread, but you answered the question.

Administrator: Do you want to join this thread with the main Evil Dead thread below?

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....d&pagenumber=1

dealer 01-27-03 09:09 AM

BOOMstick Edition.. Harry Potter is the only movie that should have a Broomstick Edition :)

littlefuzzy 12-19-03 05:20 PM

AOD 2-disc LE vs. Theatrical and Bootleg

I just found the Army of Darkness 2-disc Limited Edition at Wherehouse music, and it appears to be legitimate, but the theatrical disc looks EXACTLY like my single disc theatrical version. Were these the EXACT same disc, or just the exact same content on a different disc printing with different art?

Disc 1 has the Ash head with the skeletons in the background, and has the title: "Army of Darkness" a small logo: "THX Digitally Mastered" and printing at the bottom: "A Universal Picture" and "1992 Dino De Laurentiis Communications All Rights Reserved"

Disc 2 is the Superhero Ash on the car (like the cover) with "Army of Darkness Director's Cut" "DV10952" (which matches the spine) "A Universal Picture" and "1992 Dino De Laurentiis Communications. All Rights Reserved"

I say the set appears to be legit because the number is imprinted like typewritten characters, and there is a Limited Edition 2-page insert - Front: matching the cover, Inside: the Ash head with Army of Darkness on the left and Directors Cut Chapter Selections on the right, and Back: Theatrical Cut Chapter Selections.

milo bloom 12-20-03 09:25 AM

littlefuzzy, I just pulled mine out and everything looks the same as you just posted. Looks like you got a good one.

Just checked ebay, a Canadian copy (only 4000 were printed) went for $41. There were only 30,000 released in the US (mine's 19655)

There's also one listed on half.com for $127 big ones!! :eek:

And to think, I only bought this because I read on the internet some buzz about this upcoming release, then Scifi happened to show it, and we pre-ordered that night.

Though my wife and I were (and still are) annoyed that there's still footage missing from either cut that Scifi channel had, plus their version was a lot better looking.

littlefuzzy 12-20-03 02:10 PM

Thanks, milo... I am always suspicious of used discs that are big E-bay sellers...

On the other hand, I got AoD LE, Hiroshima Mon Amour (CC,) By Brakhage: An Anthology (CC,) and The Honeymooners Classic 39 Episodes for ~80 bucks...

My last Wherehouse Music trip netted me SotL (CC,) the two W.C. Fields Criterions, and Terror Firmer for ~55 bucks.

GuruAskew 12-20-03 05:34 PM

The original "Army of Darkness" Limited Edition 2-disc set used to go for big bucks but now that the "Boomstick Edition", which has crappy packaging but the exact same discs, is readily available the original LE isn't as desirable. In R1 it still has the two best discs ever released in the best packaging available but when it gets down to it, the "Boomstick" is practically the same thing.

evenswr 12-21-03 08:44 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Though my wife and I were (and still are) annoyed that there's still footage missing from either cut that Scifi channel had, plus their version was a lot better looking.
That's why you must also own the Region 3 NTSC version, which is the best looking director's cut. It's the same as the "Bootleg Cut," one of the discs in the "Boomstick Edition," but they actually cleaned up the deleted scenes before adding them back in.

Unfortunately, this disc still puts the entire windmill scene (you know, the only one that actually makes sense) in the deleted scenes and not in the actual feature, so that scene didn't get cleaned up.

Also, this edition has a confusing part in the audiocommentary, when Bruce Campbell makes reference to the deleted scenes that have been added back in looking like shit, when, in this edition, they really don't.

Yocke 12-21-03 01:37 PM

evenswr: You're talking about the r3 right? The r4 is not ntsc.

evenswr 12-21-03 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Yocke
evenswr: You're talking about the r3 right? The r4 is not ntsc.
Oops, you're absolutely right. I've edited my post accordingly. Thanks, Yocke.