DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/183345-one-only-evil-dead-series-versions-thread-merged-effect-thread.html)

Trevor 03-27-07 03:19 PM

Xage, forgive me for not searching the thread for it, but on the Blockbuster exclusive, what is different about it and what is a good price to pay?

Jay G. 03-27-07 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Xage, forgive me for not searching the thread for it, but on the Blockbuster exclusive, what is different about it and what is a good price to pay?

There's nothing different between the Blockbuster DVD and the Book of the Dead DVD; Blockbuster essentially got the BotD DVD in their case with an exclusive cover. If you have the BotD DVD then there's no real reason to get the Blockbuster DVD unless you're a collector like xage.

As for price, I believe I recall people on this thread saying they paid around $10 for it.

Peep 03-27-07 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's nothing different between the Blockbuster DVD and the Book of the Dead DVD; Blockbuster essentially got the BotD DVD in their case with an exclusive cover. If you have the BotD DVD then there's no real reason to get the Blockbuster DVD unless you're a collector like xage.

As for price, I believe I recall people on this thread saying they paid around $10 for it.

I'm sure that Blockbuster wouldn't care if you rented their exclusive release and swapped out a non-exclusive cover before returning it. And that way you end up with a mint copy DVD (assuming that you started with one)!

Personally, I'm not that impressed with the alternate cover, so I've never picked one up, even though I see them every now and then.

Trevor 03-28-07 01:06 PM

Thanks guys. If the disc is the same I'll stand pat. I thought it had exclusive content.

Cameron 03-29-07 06:57 PM

can you give me upc codes for each release on these?

asim1 03-30-07 08:19 AM

Is there any Video quality difference in Rental only version and THX version? or these are just different in cover arts?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...mzb/EDBB01.jpg

codenamexen 04-08-07 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by asim1
Is there any Video quality difference in Rental only version and THX version? or these are just different in cover arts?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...mzb/EDBB01.jpg

Hello! I've been looking to buy the Evil Dead DVD's for quite a while, and that's when I heard about the Rental Only version of the movie. My local Blockbuster actually had this copy, so I rushed out to get it immediately. However, after opening the case, I'm confused. The disc image is exactly the same, but the face is blue. Did I get stuck with the wrong disc?

Darth O 04-09-07 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by codenamexen
Hello! I've been looking to buy the Evil Dead DVD's for quite a while, and that's when I heard about the Rental Only version of the movie. My local Blockbuster actually had this copy, so I rushed out to get it immediately. However, after opening the case, I'm confused. The disc image is exactly the same, but the face is blue. Did I get stuck with the wrong disc?

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought mine. Turns out this Blockbuster never noticed the hard to find disc was in the other Evil Dead rental they had. All we had to do was switch them out. If I had to guess, this is probably what has happened to you. Hope this helps :)

Peep 04-09-07 01:27 PM

Now I'm confused. The contents of the discs are the same, but the colors of Ash's face are different?

If so, which is the Blockbuster exclusive one, the blue one?

xage 04-20-07 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
can you give me upc codes for each release on these?

They carry the same upc code: 013131066791

miz.eerie 07-03-07 09:23 PM

Japanese OOP Evil Dead Factory Sealed (R2)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...6/e88f_1_b.jpg

I Just bought this off a guy and was wondering like what year it was made if all the special features from the region 1 release were on there etc, and if it's really rare. I thought someone on here would know like xage. I got it pretty cheap.

JoeP 08-05-07 04:42 PM

What are the odds of an Army of Darkness book of the dead? It would be a shame if it doesn't get the same treatment as the I & II.

I think I read that Anchor Bay no longer has the rights to AoD? Anyone know who's hands it's in now?

xage 08-05-07 05:21 PM

Can't seem to find any information about the said release.

The only Japanese release that I know of is the 20th anniversary release. Here are the links

http://mall.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=735

http://www.amazon.co.jp/20%E5%91%A8%...352264&sr=8-23

Originally Posted by miz.eerie
Japanese OOP Evil Dead Factory Sealed (R2)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...6/e88f_1_b.jpg

I Just bought this off a guy and was wondering like what year it was made if all the special features from the region 1 release were on there etc, and if it's really rare. I thought someone on here would know like xage. I got it pretty cheap.

xage 08-05-07 05:22 PM

Odds is.. Highly Unlikely

Universal recently release last year Army of Darkness in HD/DVD combo. Looks like they end the release there for now

Originally Posted by JoeP
What are the odds of an Army of Darkness book of the dead? It would be a shame if it doesn't get the same treatment as the I & II.

I think I read that Anchor Bay no longer has the rights to AoD? Anyone know who's hands it's in now?

marlboro_man 08-18-07 01:16 PM

If anyone cares...the Region 3 MGM Army of Darkness DVD seem to go OOP. It's not available in any HK based online retailers and xploitedcinema also list it as OOP.

xage 08-19-07 03:56 PM

Correction on this post I made:

Originally Posted by xage

footnotes:

* It seems that there were only four "4" (enough to spell E-V-I-L at its spine# ). The set stir a lot of confusion at ebay as the stock photo made available was not even the same cover/art.

*thanks to strawdog(from rareoop forum for the corrected info)

There were actually "5" variations of 1999 Evil Dead (Super Jewel Case) Anchorbay Released :

=================================================

Another edition added to the world of Evil Dead Region 1 DVDs is the Canadian Edition Evil Dead
*thanks to dvdtalk member Vision of Love for the help!

izatright 08-20-07 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Now I'm confused. The contents of the discs are the same, but the colors of Ash's face are different? If so, which is the Blockbuster exclusive one, the blue one?

I kind of got confused, until I did a little research in my own collection. The RED face is the BOTD edition, and it has the code DV11904 on the face of the disc. The BLUE face is the standard edition and has the code DV11903. In other words, the RED face disc is the one you're looking for IF you wanted the BB rental exclusive.

Incidentally, when I read this thread I went out immediately and got one at my local BB. I know it's been said, but after rental fees (4.29), the additional purchase price is $19.99. But I just did a check and they're only going for like $25 plus shipping at ebay. I dunno if I want it now. :(

joltman 08-21-07 06:01 AM

Looks like Xage has one more to add to his list - ED2 Blu-Ray
Is this the first series to release different installments on different HD formats?

xage 08-21-07 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info!

Looks like this is how it goes for the Evil Dead Trilogy in the HD format

Evil Dead - Blu Ray
Evil Dead 2 - Blu Ray
Army of Darkness - HD

xage 08-27-07 09:23 AM

* reposted at next page

xage 08-27-07 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
Incidentally, when I read this thread I went out immediately and got one at my local BB. I know it's been said, but after rental fees (4.29), the additional purchase price is $19.99. But I just did a check and they're only going for like $25 plus shipping at ebay. I dunno if I want it now. :(

Originally they refund the $4.29 amount if you rent to own the DVD but they recently change their policy so you have to pay overall around $25.00

Abe. 08-27-07 09:47 PM

Didn't they re-release Army of Darkness on HD-DVD, but not as a combo?

xage 08-27-07 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Abe.
Didn't they re-release Army of Darkness on HD-DVD, but not as a combo?

The ones I saw in the e-tailers and the stores were HD-DVD Combo.

let me check further if there were re-releases

Abe. 08-27-07 10:05 PM

Someone's gonna have to dip one more time -wink-

Peep 08-27-07 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by xage
Originally they refund the $4.29 amount if you rent to own the DVD but they recently change their policy so you have to pay overall around $25.00

Maybe they were screwed up, but a year or so ago when I almost bought a used copy, my local Blockbuster said I could fold the purchase into one of their buy 3 used for $30 promos. It was $19.99 (used) at the time. It's worth looking into.