DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Collective list of defective DVDs and further information (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/179535-collective-list-defective-dvds-further-information.html)

V-ism 02-28-02 03:42 AM

updated

starving dvder 02-28-02 07:13 AM

defect?

This is the second copy of Argento's Phenomena that is not working. Is it my player (Pioneer DV-333) or the dvd?

Commander Dan 03-01-02 01:31 PM

Terminator 2 “hiccup” Bad disc?

Just bought Terminator 2 yesterday at Best Buy, taking advantage of the $5-off offer, and I discovered a “hiccup” on it today. In chapter 22, after Arnold says, “we have to avoid the authorities,” John Connor says he wants to go back to his house and pick up some stuff. It is within this line of dialog that the DVD “hiccups” and freezes for about a second. It only does this on the DTS track. Dolby plays fine.

Is this common for this disc, did I manage to get a bad disc, or could it be my equipment? (I don’t have another DVD player handy to check. Incidentally, I am using an Apex AD-500W.)

Wag The Frog 03-01-02 03:07 PM

Re: Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

Originally posted by V-ism
<b>October Sky</b>
[Universal]
Problem: Audio commentary by director Joe Johnston listed on the packaging is not on the disc.
Solution: Not Known.

My copy says nothing on the packaging about a commentary. I bought this disc the day it was released.

dvdfriendly 03-01-02 03:29 PM

convent problem

v-ism,

maybe you could include the 'Convent' problem I described here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=the+convent

Commander Dan 03-01-02 03:36 PM

Re: Terminator 2 “hiccup.” Bad disc?

Exchanged my T2 DVD today, only to discover that the same thing happens in the same place on the “new” disc. So, I assume that this is an issue with my DVD player being able to access the disc properly (when utilizing DTS). Any additional info would be helpful, though.

reverb 03-01-02 03:37 PM

In light of your 12 Monkeys DTS listing, I guess this would be appropriate too:
2010: The Year We Make Contact
Packaging claims transfer is anamorphically enhanced. It is not.

Also:
Annie Hall
First pressings omitted momentary subtitles in one scene.
Subsequent pressings generate subtitles for that scence, but includes the preface "THINKING" and they are all in bold.

adia4625 03-01-02 04:06 PM

Re: Terminator 2 “hiccup” Bad disc?

Originally posted by Commander Dan
Just bought Terminator 2 yesterday at Best Buy, taking advantage of the $5-off offer, and I discovered a “hiccup” on it today. In chapter 22, after Arnold says, “we have to avoid the authorities,” John Connor says he wants to go back to his house and pick up some stuff. It is within this line of dialog that the DVD “hiccups” and freezes for about a second. It only does this on the DTS track. Dolby plays fine.

Is this common for this disc, did I manage to get a bad disc, or could it be my equipment? (I don’t have another DVD player handy to check. Incidentally, I am using an Apex AD-500W.)

Dan,
I have the same problem with mine. It freezes several times on the DTS track on my Pioneer DV-626. There was a thread on HTF that mentions this. Also I heard the DD track locks on a layer change.

I have the old single disc DVD18 version and not the more recent 2 disc.

Vampyr 03-01-02 09:50 PM

This is one of the most productive threads ever made.......GREAT JOB!

Scarecrow 03-01-02 11:41 PM

Magic Knight Rayearth (Media Blasters) Season 1. Many players can't play the extras segments. Don't know if it's been fixed or not.

Jepthah 03-02-02 12:31 AM

Days of Heaven -- on 2 separate copies in good condition it has either skipped or when DD 5.1 is selected, locked up and blared digital audio distortion at the same point in the feature on my Pioneer DV-525. It is definitely a pressing problem because although other players 'gloss over' the problem when I play it on them, it is still there. My player just handles it badly. However other 525 owners have told me that their copies are fine.

I contacted Paramount about it a few years ago but never got a response, and a firmware chip update on my player did nothing either.

The Dude absent member 03-02-02 01:08 AM

There's always the infamous Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace subtitle problem that affected JVC and Toshiba DVD players. The players will not play the forced alien subtitles. No fix that I know of.

GuessWho 03-02-02 11:39 AM

Some early pressings of Poison - Greatest Video Hits had a defect where the audio and video were out of sync for 2 songs. Immediately after release, the webmaster of the band;s official site collected names of fans with defective copies and we were sent new ones. Since this was last summer, all copies now in stores should be OK... i'd hope.

V-ism 03-02-02 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

Originally posted by Wag The Frog
My copy says nothing on the packaging about a commentary. I bought this disc the day it was released.
http://www.dvdplanet.com/productimages/back/5937.jpg

That's how it looked, commentary listed among the features. If yours doesn't have it, then they probably fixed it.

V-ism 03-08-02 06:15 PM

Re: Terminator 2 “hiccup” Bad disc?

Originally posted by Commander Dan
In chapter 22, after Arnold says, “we have to avoid the authorities,” John Connor says he wants to go back to his house and pick up some stuff. It is within this line of dialog that the DVD “hiccups” and freezes for about a second. It only does this on the DTS track. Dolby plays fine.

Are you sure this isn't just the layer change?

cynthia 03-10-02 01:29 AM

FOX left off the translation subtitles for all foreign-language scenes in Stealing Beauty. No word from FOX yet about a corrected version. <a href="http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37443" target="_blank">This HTF thread</a> talks about it a bit more.

V-ism 03-11-02 06:06 PM

update! :)

MDawg957 03-12-02 12:45 AM

Slayers DVD collection update

The Slayers DVD collection is being re-released on 6/11/02 with the following fixes according to this thread over at the Anime on DVD Forums

As far as Slayers goes-
Yes the audio is fixed. Also that additional scene has been inserted in its proper place- and it was even dubbed. There are also something like 5 or 6 chapter stops per episode instead of just one, plus there are some art galleries and the like.

As far as the other obvious questions concerning folks about this re-release, keep an eye on the CPM website for an update.
There is still no info on a possible replacement or rebate plan for buyers of the previous version of the set. CPM has put up a press release for the set at http://www.centralparkmedia.com/cpmd...Cat=SSDVD_6198, but it doesn't really provide any new info. I'll post new info as it comes available. This is one set I've been holding off on buying, but I guess I finally will. June's gonna be an expensive month for me :p

Please make the proper updates to this set's listing on the list in lieu of this new info. Thank you.

Iron_Giant 03-12-02 12:08 PM

This is a great post. Thanks for all the work.

Except for the missing sceens or audio, I have not had any probelms with my Sony 360. I have had to clean a few disks to get them to work, but everything else has played just fine.

The Dude absent member 03-13-02 12:29 AM

Hmmm... JVC has decided to fix the subtitle problem with Phantom Menace...

It requires shipment of the player for a firmware upgrade.

I found this on HomeTheaterForum

mekeez 03-13-02 06:50 PM

The back cover of L.A. Story says Director's Commentary and there isn't one on the disk. Any contact numbers for Artisan or VIEW Entertainment?

imp66 03-23-02 08:32 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that none of the thread links for A Better Tomorrow work.

Is there any definitive way to tell whether you have a corrected copy or not without actually watching it?

Venom 03-24-02 11:23 AM

Originally posted by imp66
Just thought I'd let you know that none of the thread links for A Better Tomorrow work.

Is there any definitive way to tell whether you have a corrected copy or not without actually watching it?

"Problem: Original pressing had a 5.1 Cantonese audio track. This
track had the original score mixed with parts from Speed and Forrest Gump. The fixed pressing is a mono Cantonese track.
Solution: You can contact Anchor Bay directly to exchange it. "

Bump. i guess it will say mono cantonese track on it if it's the corrected version. but i too would like to make sure. if you can find it at kmart, it's 6.99.

Ergyu 03-24-02 12:36 PM

Cast Away Claims a 2.35:1 aspect ratio on the back of the package but it is actually 1.85:1.

imp66 03-24-02 02:47 PM

Gsuscryst: I picked one up at K-Mart, figuring that worst case I could exchange it, which is why I was asking the question. Somebody in the Bargain forum said they found both versions at their K-Mart, but I only found one. Of course, I can't say that I was looking for the tiny little print on the back bottom that says "Cantonese: Dolby Surround 5.1.