Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spaghetti Westerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Underground www.blue-underground.com is releasing a bunch of coo-l Spaghettis soon: Sergio Corbucci's DJANGO, Giulio Questi's DJANGO KILL, Sergio Sollima's RUN, MAN, RUN and Sergio Martino's MANNAJA: A MAN CALLED BLADE. Some guy on the Spaghetti Western board did a review of them:

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...&article=21204
Old 08-11-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have any of the titles from Wild East Productions? It seems they are all Limited Editions available for purchase only from them which makes me wonder.

http://www.wildeast.net/content.htm
Old 08-26-02, 10:52 AM

BUMP!

Thanks to AMC, I finally was able to watch ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST over the weekend (unfortunately, it was pan-and-scan which just seemed so wrong!) What a fantastic movie! Does anyone have any info on what's going on at Paramount with this movie. I have to own it now, and I would love to see a widescreen version of it. Any new info out there?
Old 08-26-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bump/Update

I noticed this weekend that The Strangers Gundown/AKA- Django IL Bastardo was gone from Deepdiscountdvd web site so I went to Vci's web site and it was gone to. I emailed them and received this reply:

Dear Ernie,

The DVD "Strangers Gundown" has been delayed due to technical problems. It hasn't be dropped, but we have not been given another release date, yet.

Sincerely,

Gail Allamon
Customer Service Representative
Old 09-02-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hello all, I just had a chance to read through this thread and while I haven't seen many of the films discussed so far, I would like to contribute by adding a film called (at least that is the name I watched it under) The Deserter (1971) starring Bekim Fehmiu. The film also featured Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Ricardo Montalban, and Woody Strode. I haven't seen it in many years but I thought it was a very solid Western when I first saw it on broadcast TV years ago. Does anyone remember this film? It does not seem to be available on DVD yet. Following is the link at IMDb.com:

The Deserter @IMDb.com
Old 09-16-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally broke down and bought The Great Silence and was surprised to see it was not in a snapper case. I seem to remember seeing it in a snapper case once back when it came out in a BM. Was it first released in a snapper? And did it come with liner notes by director Alex Cox then?

Most I paid for a dvd in along time. Have not gotten around to watching it yet as it just came today.
Old 09-20-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ernestrp
I finally broke down and bought The Great Silence and was surprised to see it was not in a snapper case. I seem to remember seeing it in a snapper case once back when it came out in a BM. Was it first released in a snapper? And did it come with liner notes by director Alex Cox then?

Most I paid for a dvd in along time. Have not gotten around to watching it yet as it just came today.
It's always been in an amaray case as far as I can remember.

BTW, a Great Great film!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 10-19-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally received Bullet for Sandoval from DDD today. I think I ordered it back in July or so and was delayed awhile. I enjoyed it.
Old 11-12-02, 09:10 PM

Nice set coming 1/7 from image. I know I am down for this one.Here is aSynopsis: Saddle up and strap on your holsters for this outrageous quartet of Spaghetti Western classics! Along with "Django, Kill!" (1967, 117 min.), "Run Man Run" (1977, 96 min.) and "Mannaja: A Man Called Blade" (1968, 121 min.), exclusive to this collection is the new special edition of Sergio Corbucci's classic, "Django" (1966, 90 min.), restored for the first time from the original camera negative recently discovered in a Rome vault untouched for over three decades! Franco Nero stars as the lone, coffin-dragging stranger who roams the West towards a destiny ruled by vengeance. A landmark classic packed with indelible images and some of the most shocking brutality of any Spaghetti Western ever made, this is the still-controversial epic that defined a genre, launched a phenomenon and inspired over 50 unofficial sequels! Also included for the first time is the optional Italian audio track featuring Franco Nero's own voice. Following two years of extensive restoration, this is the most stunning and complete version of "Django" you'll ever see in a powerhouse box set that'll blow you away! description:
Old 11-12-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

count me in.
Old 11-13-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this really SUCKS! I wanted the new improved DJANGO, but they're only releasing it as a part of the boxed set, and I don't want to pay for MANNAJA and RUN MAN RUN since I've never even seen them. Oh well, hopefully Blue Underground will pull an Anchor Bay and release the new DJANGO next year....
Old 11-23-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found this information on The Spaghetti Western Collection that is to come out in 1/2003 at Towerrecords.com. I wonder if all the titles are FF or maybe they are talking about the extras?:

Notes:
Hold on to your holsters and hang up your spurs, then sit back and keep an eye out for any roaming bandits with these four spaghetti western classics:

DJANGO: Though Sergio Leone created the spaghetti western with A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, the genre was not popularized in Europe until Sergio Corbucci's DJANGO, which subsequently spawned countless illegitimate sequels. The film stars the Belgian hunk Franco Nero as Django, a mysterious gunslinger who drags a coffin behind him that contains a Gatling gun. Django soon happens upon a Mexican town where a group of Mexican revolutionaries, led by the nefarious Colonel Jackson, have overrun the town, wantonly killing its citizens. Soon, Django, who has a personal vendetta against Colonel Jackson, finds himself in league with a group of Mexican bandits who want to steal the Colonel's gold with the help of Django and his Gatling gun. Combining a stylish use of spaghetti western conventions -- among them a cruel and cartoonish bad guy as well as dramatic music that punctuates the action -- DJANGO is one of the best and most popular films the genre has ever produced.

DJANGO, KILL: From the pen of screenwriter Franco Arcalli (ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, LAST TANGO IN PARIS) comes one of the most infamous DJANGO movies, DJANGO, KILL! Coveted for many years by Spaghetti-Western connoisseurs, and championed by long-time fan Alex Cox (REPO MAN, SID AND NANCY), this definitive version has been restored from the original Italian negative, and is fully uncut. Tomas Milian stars as the title character, arising from a desert grave after being double-crossed, only to find all his partners brutally slaughtered. He seeks revenge in a town called "The Unhappy Place," encountering torture, depravity, greed and sexual debauchery everywhere he turns. Director Giulio Questi leaves nothing to the imagination in this tale of corruption, and be warned, DJANGO, KILL! is not for the faint hearted!

RUN MAN RUN: This release of RUN MAN RUN is the first fully uncut version to be released in America. Directed by Sergio Sollima (REVOLVER, VIOLENT CITY), and starring Tomas Milian (TRAFFIC), this brutal, often sadistic, western is an epic political thriller, complete with an Ennio Morricone/Bruno Nicolai score. Milian plays the role of Cuchillo, on the run from bandits, federal agents, bounty hunters, and his fiancee! All are chasing a hidden stash of gold which could potentially fund the Mexican Revolution, and Cuchillo is going to have some running to do if he wants to achieve his target. RUN MAN RUN pulls no punches in getting its overtly political message across, the performances and direction eventually culminating in a bloody finale that will have you on the edge of your seat.

MANNAJA: A MAN CALLED BLADE: Presented fully uncut for the first time in America, MANNAJA is a spaghetti western from the twisted mind of infamous Italian director Sergio Martino (TORSO). Maurizio Merli (FATAL CHARMS, FEARLESS) stars as Blade, a ruthless bounty hunter trying to escape from his past misdeeds. A fierce orgy of guns and violence erupts when Blade upsets the residents of a corrupt town, causing numerous standoff's between himself and the local residents. For fans who have awaited this release for many years, the good news is that the infamous 'eyeball torture' scene is fully intact. For newcomers, the mere fact that there is an 'eyeball torture' sequence should give you some idea of the no-holds barred thrills that await you!
-- (Muze Description)1258295

DVD Features:

Region 1
Boxed Set
Full Frame - 1.33
Audio:
Dolby Digital Mono - Italian
Dolby Digital Mono - English
Additional Release Material:
Production Interview - 1. Giulio Questi - Director
3. Sergio Sollima - Director
4. Sergio Martino - Director
5. Tomas Milian & Ray Lovelock - Stars
6. Franco Nero - Star
7. Ruggero Deodato - Assistant Director
Documentary - 1. WESTERNS ITALIAN STYLE
Trailer - 1. Original Theatrical Trailer
Text/Photo Galleries:
Stills/Photos
Biographies - 1. Cast & Crew
Poster Art
Additional Products:
Liner Notes - 1. William Connolly - "Spaghetti Cinema" Editor
2. Tom Betts - "Westerns al'Italiana" Editor
3. Christopher Frayling - "Sergio Leone: Something To Do With Death" Author
-- (Muze Annotation)1258288
Old 11-23-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I found the best price for the Spaghetti Western Collection but it does involve Amazon.ca and a 10.00 off (cdn dollar) coupon code CDNSANTADEAL. It comes out to 75.97 CDN that = 48.15 U.S. today. I guess I can always cancel if a better deal comes along.
Old 12-04-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone ever see either of these two westerns?

Ramrodder / Revenge Of The Virgins: Special Edition

It's the Naked West like you've never seen it before with this Nudie Double-Bill of the Craziest Cowboy Movies Ever Made! "The Ramrodder" (1969, 88 min.) - Cowpoke Rick, The Ramrodder, falls in love with Indian maiden Tuwana when he spies her skinny-dipping with the other shapely women of her tribe. Before you can say "Geronimo," the two are rolling around like tumbleweeds. When a toothless trail bum attacks the tribal chief's daughter, the Indians blame Rick and kidnap his pre-Tuwana girlfriend, Lucy, who eases tensions with a campfire strip show. Tuwana eventually sets things right only after she's whipped, virgin-tested, and falls into the arms of a sapphic-lovin' squaw! From the vaults of David F. Friedman comes all the ingredients of a classic western: lesbians, catfights, and Manson family friend Bobby Beausoleil as a castrating injun! "Revenge of the Virgins" (1960, 52 min.) - Jewell Morgan leads a group of gold-seeking prospectors through Indian territory only to encounter the Revenge of the Virgins, a tribe of bare-breasted Indian maidens who happily slaughter them one by one in this early nudie from director Pete Perry (Kiss Me Quick!). Watch and learn exactly How the West Was Done!
Old 12-04-02, 07:18 PM

DAY OF ANGER

What about "Day of Anger" ? Does someone saw it? Looks great...

I just ordered the DVD of "The Big Gundown" and "Face to Face"; even if they are only in spanish...
Old 12-04-02, 08:27 PM
Banned

The only spaghetti westerns I ever really liked was anything with Clint Eastwood in it!
Old 12-10-02, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Spaghetti Western Collection review at:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5101
Old 12-10-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Maliboo
Well, this really SUCKS! I wanted the new improved DJANGO, but they're only releasing it as a part of the boxed set, and I don't want to pay for MANNAJA and RUN MAN RUN since I've never even seen them. Oh well, hopefully Blue Underground will pull an Anchor Bay and release the new DJANGO next year....
it pissed me off too..i was hoping to pick up Django only since it has the italian soundtrack..unfortunately Blue Underground is gouging everyone who wants Djangot by forcing them to pay for the whole set of third rate unoffical sequels..I wish Anchor Bay put this out like they were originally gonna do
Old 12-10-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably breakdown and buy the new box set. Before DVD, I'd never heard of any of the movies...now I'm willing to lay out $50+ for a box set of them.
Old 12-13-02, 11:40 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 12-14-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't knock the other titles in that box set...have faith. I have seen them all, years ago, and I'm glad they included them. hell, I'd pay 50 bucks for just the "Django", so I look at the others as a bonus.
Old 12-24-02, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found a better price on the Spaghetti Western Collection. 42.47 when using AMEXFYE15 at fye.com. Their price is 49.96 before the coupon and you do have to get over 49.00 or 50.00 for free shipping and they do charge tax. I cancelled my Amazon/Canada order for this.
Old 01-12-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I received the Spaghetti Western Collection last week and watched Django right off and I think it looks alot better than the Anchor Bay version plus it has the Italin track included. I have only given a quick look to the other titles but I'am very impressed by the collection Blue Underground has put out and I hope they do some more in the future.
Old 01-12-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
DJANGO,KILL! IF YOU LIVE,SHOOT!

They don't make em like this anymore!
Old 01-12-03, 07:09 PM
Banned

The Spaghetti Western Set is very nicely done. I've watched all but Django Kill, which I expect might be my favorite from the description (and the amazing trailer... all silouhette color cut-out graphics). Django is great, Run Man Run is good (a little slow, but entertaining and more comic/political than the thriller description given above... the Italian title sequence included is a major bonus). Mannaja is the weakest and most recent (1977). The nice thing about this set is it effectively covers a broad spectrum. All of the supplements are worthwhile and the inserts include 3-page informative write-ups.

btw... don't always knock the English soundtracks... the one included with Run Man Run is actually much better than the Italian (more expressive, more clarity).

Overall I'm enjoying the set, but it's difficult to recommend as a blind buy because of the weaker half which, though fun, for many might not warrant repeat viewings. I'm a very very picky one and I don't regret getting it myself (I'm NOT even a huge Western fan in general), but YMMV!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.