Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Have you ever bought a movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray because of the packaging?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Have you ever bought a movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray because of the packaging?

Old 07-23-15, 06:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you ever bought a movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray simply because you liked the packaging on the DVD version better? I never thought that people that are typically Blu-ray buyers would choose DVD over Blu-ray simply because of the packaging found on the DVD version. Then I read that apparently quite a few people that would normally buy the Blu-ray version of a movie were buying the Extended Edition of The Hobbit movies on DVD because they thought the packaging on the DVD version better matched the packaging from the Extended Edition DVDs of The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.
Old 07-24-15, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Have you ever bought a movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray because of the packaging?

Nope. You don't watch the packaging. I'd say those people are more concerned with how their collection looks on the shelf, than with actually watching the movie. Or they don't really care about the image/audio quality.

Which just points out that many people are still happy with DVD quality.
Old 08-03-15, 06:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Have you ever bought a movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray because of the packaging?

Thanks for your reply, and I agree that it seems like a lot of people are more concerned with how their collection looks on a shelf compared to the actual movie itself, which is surprising.
Old 08-07-15, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

To answer the original question- no, but there's been many times when I've kept the DVD after re-buying a Blu-Ray specifically because I liked the cover and packaging better. Of course I never get rid of DVDs anyways.
Old 08-07-15, 06:38 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Many of the DVDs I own are Special Editions/Collector's Editions/Limited Editions and were purchased before I bought a blu-ray player. Since I purchased a blu-ray player I vowed to myself that unless the DVD version of any of my movies is substandard (Outland, for example) or have rotted (Demolition Man, for example) I won't double dip on any of my movies simply to own the BD. Also, I've seen where the BD versions of alot of the movies are barebones compared to the 2 & 3-disc SE/CE/LE's I own and are not worthy of any supposed upgrade. My player upscales my DVDs quite nicely so I don't feel compelled to buy the BD versions of most of my existing videos, which is good because I don't have that kind of $$$ anyway. I'll buy BD's whenever possible since I purchased this BD player, but if one comes along which I really want the deluxe version of, or the money is right, I'll buy on DVD if need be. Finally, I enjoy owning SE/CE/LE versions of my movies, not only do I get the additional special features, I get to look through all the extra stuff...

Last edited by kd5; 09-05-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 07:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

No. I just buy the cheapest now. All packaging will get trashed.
Old 08-21-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I searched an extraordinarily long time for the DVD/Blu combo pack that was DVD sized with a slipcover of POTC: On Stranger Tides to match all my other POTC DVDs.

I have yet to upgrade my LOTR extended editions to Bluray because the big DVD set is just so beautiful.
Old 09-03-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogg
Nope. You don't watch the packaging. I'd say those people are more concerned with how their collection looks on the shelf, than with actually watching the movie. Or they don't really care about the image/audio quality.

The vast majority of people in this country are still happy with DVD quality.
Old 09-04-15, 06:57 PM

I will add that I have bought a few things with special packaging. But difference in price for the regular or special packaging wasn't much. And I was primarily interested in the movies themselves.

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantasm-Sph...words=phantasm
Old 09-18-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

My thought is that the nice graphic design on the packaging is visible and can be "enjoyed" sitting on your shelf 365 days a year. The only advantage of Blu-ray, from an aesthetic point of view, is when you place it into a Blu-ray player and watch it. In most cases, this isn't even once or twice a year.

An example would be a title like "Escape From New York" DVD Special Edition, which is just so much nicer than the bland-looking Blu-ray in the eco-case.

It's little bit like having a high-resolution baseball card collection on a memory stick. The images are sharper and they take up less room but there's no real value to a bunch of digital zeroes and ones sitting on a generic-looking memory stick.

Maybe it's just old-school but movies on harddrives, streaming or minimalist-looking Blu-ray discs just strikes me as an efficient, soulless way of collecting and consuming data.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a large collection of Blu-ray and HDDVD because the quality of the technical presentation is great but sometimes when I see the DVD of a film I already have on Blu-ray/HDDVD for $1-$2 and it has great packaging, I'll often buy it for that reason alone.
Old 09-18-15, 05:49 PM

And there are lots of people with your opinion. It just doesn't even matter to me. I don't even see my collection unless I go to get a movie to watch. It's not out in the open like some sort of art exhibit. So spending extra money on packaging is a waste. That's money that could be spent on more movies.
Old 09-18-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

And there are lots of people with your opinion. It just doesn't even matter to me. I don't even see my collection unless I go to get a movie to watch. It's not out in the open like some sort of art exhibit. So spending extra money on packaging is a waste. That's money that could be spent on more movies.
You're not alone with your opinion either. I find it rather odd that those who frequent this site have so much apathy for anything beyond the content itself.

It's like a Porsche owner visiting a car enthusiast site who thinks of their car as just a bunch of sheet metal that transports them to back and forth to work at a high rate of speed.