Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Where to find GOOD replacement cases? Which type of hubs are most secure?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 06-18-10, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a collection of nearly 1300 SD-DVDs and 150+ BDs. I'm curious about what people consider to be the best replacement cases you can get (single double, triple, quad, thinkpak double, etc. I think pluck hubs are about the best. At least from what I've seen in ordering by mail, push button hubs like amaray (yinyang) and other cheap designs allow the disc to pop loose very easily. I've received Warner/Paramount movies in pluck hub cases where half the hub was shattered but the disc was still right where it belonged!! What I don't understand is why it's bloody impossible to get this type of case. There have been a few random titles from other studios that use them, but it seems to be primarily a Warner/Paramount thing on SD. Viva Elite seems to sell the blu-ray cases with pluck hubs, but there's no source that I'm aware of for SD ones. If i weren't for the size of the cover art, I'd probably consider a complete switch to those BD cases.

The one other type of case that I've seen that seems a little better than Amaray isn't really available either. I don't have a pic, but I believe one of the sites linked in that old sticky referred to them as "Mercedes" or some such. They have a 3 piece hub, and I've never seen a double disc case made with them. Some places have similar designs, but often cheaply made. I've seen some decent double disc trays with PS2/PS3 like hubs.

There also seems to be a serious lack of decent thinpak cases. Again, the best ones seem to be those with pluck hub design, but nobody sells them. Every thinpak case I've bought was flimsy with cheapy hubs. I found 1 awesome type of slim double case (Nexpak maybe?) with sturdy 3 piece hubs, but they were like 9mm thick instead of 7 so they wouldn't fit in the TV show boxes where I needed replacement cases. I thought I got them from usplastic.com but they don't list them anymore. Half the Law & Order seasons that actually have thinpak cases came with broken hubs, whether I bought them at Walmart or ordered from Amazon!

Nexpak makes great multi-disc cases (Versapak). They have pluck hubs, but they're all thick. Are there any really good multi-disc (3,4,5,6) cases that are single width?

Yeah, maybe I'm a little OCD about my discs. Aren't we all? If/when I move, or I reorganize things, I don't want to find a bunch of goddamn floaters when I start putting my collection back on the shelves though. I also worry about the real cheap cases scratching my discs. I've seen paper sleeves and plastic binder pages simply ruin discs. Why not poorly designed cases?

Last edited by Viper187; 06-18-10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Where to find GOOD replacement cases? Which type of hubs are most secure?

I hear you i'm the same way. I'm looking for the transparent ones Criterion is using lately, especially the double disc ones that the disc overlap some. or even tray ones but transparent.
Old 06-26-10, 06:42 PM
Banned

I don't like overlapping discs.

p.s. Why does this sub-forum seem so dead?
Old 06-26-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper187
I don't like overlapping discs...
i dont mind em too much.

Originally Posted by Viper187
...p.s. Why does this sub-forum seem so dead?
i was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-01-10, 10:40 AM

I came here looking for a recommendation for replacement cases as well, but I may have found a source...one of my searches took me to gaylord.com, which I suddenly remembered (from years-ago employment) as a vendor of library supplies. Try http://www.gaylord.com/listing.asp?H=8&PCI=132460 for their DVD cases.
Old 07-01-10, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for additional sources beyond Bags Unlimited and Brodart.
Old 07-01-10, 11:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
I came here looking for a recommendation for replacement cases as well, but I may have found a source...one of my searches took me to gaylord.com, which I suddenly remembered (from years-ago employment) as a vendor of library supplies. Try http://www.gaylord.com/listing.asp?H=8&PCI=132460 for their DVD cases.
I think multiple other sites have similar options and pricing, but these look good.

I'm currently out of space on my TV-on-DVD shelfing, and need to convert a few dozen packages into more space efficient cases. Some of these 6/7 cases will be mine.
Old 07-01-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
Wow. Those are expensive. I get a 10 pack of the multi discs cases for usually around $6.
genesysdtp.com
Old 07-07-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

A good place for DVD or Blu-ray replacement cases try www.thetapehouse.com
Old 07-28-10, 08:28 AM
Banned

SHIT! Sometimes I really hate it when I'm right. The "Budget" 3 and 4 disc cases from Sleeve City scratch discs! The cases are fine, but the 2 disc trays have rough spots on them! By the way, I found a 3 disc case in my collection with all pluck-hubs. Exactly like Viva Elite blu cases use. It's the Leprechaun Triple Pack. The DVD case has a few numbers on the spine, but no company name: SD 607-1. The tray has: T3CD-8A. Any ideas how to find more?

Last edited by Viper187; 07-28-10 at 09:57 AM.