DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   Six Feet Under: The Complete Series old vs. new packaging (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/566405-six-feet-under-complete-series-old-vs-new-packaging.html)

cuzzin 12-13-09 04:31 PM

Six Feet Under: The Complete Series old vs. new packaging

Amazon has just listed the original packaging (the thicker one with the astro turf grass on top) as discontinued by the manufacturer. The new, repackaged set is slimmer and does not have the fake grass. I always thought the original packaging was kind of neat, but I think I remember hearing the box was cheaply made and would come apart easily (the flap breaking off, the grass lifting up). Any truth to this? Has anyone compared the two boxes personally? Which did you prefer? If I'm going to get the original box, I want to get it before it is out of print for too long and becomes super expensive. This new box just looks a little bland to me, but if it is sturdier than the old box, then I'll accept it.

TheVelvetRope 12-13-09 05:40 PM

Re: Six Feet Under: The Complete Series old vs. new packaging

I have the original set and have noticed no real problems with it, but I haven't handled it extensively. The box is the same kind of paperboard many sets are made of, so it probably won't stand up to rough handling, but that's nothing unusual. The grass has adhesive on the bottom, so if it does happen to start coming up, a couple of drops of super glue would fix that. I think it looks much better than the slimmed down version, and the "plot" has a little metal grave marker on the top. The content inside is the same packaging as the individual season sets, minus the oversized outer boxes. If you're concerned about space, the new set will be the way to go, but I much prefer the look of the old version.

cuzzin 12-16-09 09:18 PM

Cool, thanks. How do you like the flap attached to the box that you lift to get the DVDs out? Is it attached securely enough so as to not worry about it breaking off?

TheVelvetRope 12-17-09 09:41 AM

I've had no issues with the flap. Overall, everything seems pretty sturdy, and I think as long as you don't handle it roughly, or leave it where little ones might get ahold of it, you'll be fine. This isn't an atrocity on the level of the "X-Files" set, to be sure.

rjh_54 12-17-09 03:57 PM

I'm getting the old packaged version for Christmas (since it was on sale for relatively cheap on Amazon right before it was "discontinued"). I like how it holds all 5 original box sets, and it's not too big to fit on a shelf (although it's obviously wide). I haven't seen any pictures of the new packaging for the set, but I would love to know how the discs are held and things like that. If anyone has pictures they could post, that would be awesome!

danwiz 12-17-09 05:58 PM

There is a photo of it in the Bargains Forum here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...99-target.html

jfleon 12-21-09 07:56 PM

Hello, I have compared the two and went with the new packaging. Personally, I just want the show (a favorite) and the old box was far too big and boxey for my collection-one of the reasons I did not purchase. I really liked the slimmed down 'book' type packaging on the 2009 version, as opposed to the 2006 version. There is a big drawback, though.....the soundtracks do not come with the new version----a ripoff if you ask me. I already have the two 'official' soundtracks, though, so it was no big deal.

rjh_54 12-22-09 08:26 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the old packaging. Not only are the discs secure in digipaks, but that also means they're avoiding the potentially harmful new packaging.

For example, anyone see the DVDs for Season 11 of The Simpsons? The discs are stored just like they are for this new reissue of the complete SFU series. When I opened my copy, the discs were scratched and there was glue residue on the data side of the discs. I'm afraid people who buy this will be an issue for the people who buy the new version of the complete SFU. Season 12 of The Simpsons was a little better in that the paper that supported the discs in their case had a glossy feel to it, so scratches weren't an issue with that set.