Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with studios changing packaging on TV shows?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

What's the deal with studios changing packaging on TV shows?

Old 06-19-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What's the deal with studios changing packaging on TV shows?

Originally Posted by darkhawk
The Simpsons pissed me off when fox did a double. Changing the boxes for the heads and then after ordering a box, it's not the same as the others either. Then Season 11 changed.
At least with The Simpsons they give consumers a choice, more or less. The heads still don't look that odd next to the first 5 Seasons because the spines still line up. But after Season 6, they gave us an option which is more than they are doing now with My Name Is Earl, etc. And even though they did change the packaging for Season 11, making it a little thinner, the spine is still pretty much the same and it doesn't look out of place next to Season 10.

That being said, I hope they don't change the packaging on us for future releases of The Simpsons.

If they would at least give us slipcovers, I wouldn't mind the change as much. If they did that there would be more uniformity. Now, you have paper sleeves and then a plastic case. Just looks out of place and sloppy.
Old 06-19-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkhawk
The Simpsons pissed me off when fox did a double. Changing the boxes for the heads and then after ordering a box, it's not the same as the others either. Then Season 11 changed.
They'll probably change it again. The Simpsons has had some of the worst TV packaging since day one. They're the only thing in my collection I hate so much I've considered getting new cases and custom artwork.

As for My Name is Earl. If you really want to see a messed up collection, think about those of us who have the first season in the Best Buy flannel shirt package. That coupled with the other cases makes for one ugly series on the shelf. A new complete set would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.
Old 07-08-09, 10:33 AM

Bumping this back up, via TVShowsOnDVD's Twitter: "In Oct, Fox to "Viva" repackage old releases of HIMYM, 70s Show, Am. Dad, Unit, Remgtn Steele, Sunny/Philly & My Name/Earl".

I assume the Viva packaging is the thinner packaging used for Buffy/Futurama recently? If so then that means you could get all previous seasons of Earl in the thinner packaging
Old 07-08-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Corey31
Bumping this back up, via TVShowsOnDVD's Twitter: "In Oct, Fox to "Viva" repackage old releases of HIMYM, 70s Show, Am. Dad, Unit, Remgtn Steele, Sunny/Philly & My Name/Earl".

I assume the Viva packaging is the thinner packaging used for Buffy/Futurama recently? If so then that means you could get all previous seasons of Earl in the thinner packaging
Too bad I already have the first three seasons of My Name Is Earl and How I Met Your Mother and I only have until mid-July to return them.

Last edited by kstublen; 07-08-09 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Good news for new owners (and not surprising to see the switch), but bad news for the older collectors.
Old 07-08-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I highly doubt they would offer it, but it'd be nice if those of us that already owned previous seasons could purchase this newer packaging from FOX directly; send in a UPC or something along with some money and get mailed the replacement package. Too bad the studios could care less about the customers and this would never happen.
Old 07-08-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I am curious why, since alot of people seem to be bothered by this, more people dont just buy replacement cases and download scans of the artwork to make their own "Viva" packaging. Costs very little, and takes very little time.
Old 07-08-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jjcool
I am curious why, since alot of people seem to be bothered by this, more people dont just buy replacement cases and download scans of the artwork to make their own "Viva" packaging. Costs very little, and takes very little time.
I am not familiar enough with places to download artwork or how I should print them out (what type of printer, paper, etc.). Furthermore, it is also a principle of the matter thing, at least for me. I don't mind that the studios change packaging, but I think the least they could do is offer replacement packages for those willing to pay. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for replacement cases directly from the studio for the sake of uniformity on my shelves.
Old 07-08-09, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjcool
It's a pain in the ass.

First you need a color printer. Now you need special paper. Now you need to find someone who scanned the appropriate size artwork. Now you need to find a DVD case that has enough spindles to hold the 3-6 discs. Its a pain. I'd rather sell off my original sets and rebuy the new ones.
Old 07-08-09, 03:49 PM

I've considering blind-buying How I Met Your Mother for a while, I will wait for the smaller packaging now. I'm also a fan of My Name is Earl but given it's recent cancellation I'll probably wait for a complete series release.

It does suck for fans of shows who have been buying the season releases but it's really not that big of a deal to sell your old sets and buy the new ones. You will probably be out on average $5 a season but you get the smaller packaging. I'm surprised Family Guy was not a part of the list of series' getting the re-packaging job.
Old 07-08-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised Family Guy was not a part of the list of series' getting the re-packaging job.
I figure it will be eventually since they used those cases in the Stewie head that AMAZON sells.
Old 07-08-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll be replacing my "It's Always Sunny" seasons once they do this. If I watch My Name is Earl and like it, I'll consider doing that series too.
Old 07-08-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Lat month I noticed that repackaged versions of Babylon 5 seasons 1-5 started showing up on various sites, but I haven't actually seen any in stores yet.
Old 07-08-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised they're bothering to repackage How I Met Your Mother. The Season 1-3 sets are already pretty damn thin. I'm sure as hell not gonna bother replacing them just to save a couple of centimeters of shelf space.

Rob
Old 07-08-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RobCA
I'm surprised they're bothering to repackage How I Met Your Mother. The Season 1-3 sets are already pretty damn thin. I'm sure as hell not gonna bother replacing them just to save a couple of centimeters of shelf space.

Rob
A lot of the sets are already pretty thin. How I Met Your Mother, My Name Is Earl, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, etc. are already contained in thinpaks...these new packages really aren't that much thinner. I prefer having TV Shows in the type of packaging the aforementioned are already in; I think TV Shows deserve a little different packaging from regular movies.

Really, it is just easier for the studios and cheaper, because they save money on the outer cardboard slip cases and only need one set of covers/inserts instead of two or three spread across thinpaks. It's just cheaper for them. I don't understand why they weren't doing this from the start though.
Old 07-08-09, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst offender ever is Alias. 5 seasons and not one of them matches the other. It's a really ugly looking set on my shelf.
Old 07-09-09, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kstublen
I don't understand why they weren't doing this from the start though.
They wanted DVD to stand out from normal DVD movies and TV on DVD has always been a premium product.
Old 07-09-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's a pain in the ass.

First you need a color printer. Now you need special paper. Now you need to find someone who scanned the appropriate size artwork. Now you need to find a DVD case that has enough spindles to hold the 3-6 discs. Its a pain. I'd rather sell off my original sets and rebuy the new ones.
Canon color inkjet.
8.5x11 white paper. The same stuff I use for printing documents.
r1db.com, customaniacs.org, 9covers.com, etc for covers.
genesysdtp.com for every case imaginable.
Old 07-10-09, 02:41 PM

It is very annoying when they do that! I'm not so sure about Reigion 1, but in Reigon 2 they released Season 1 of Two and A Half Men as a wide carborad slipcase, with the individual mini plastic cases inside. On the spine it says "Disc 1 Episodes 1-6" e.t.c, like the One Tree Hill DVDs. From Season 2 onwards, they use the smaller slip cases, with the normal sized palstic case with all the discs inside that.
Old 07-10-09, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Argg.
Old 07-11-09, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Where can I get these new 6 disc cases? Looks like I have some converting to do...
Old 07-11-09, 11:39 PM
Banned

Stargate SG-1 did it when they went from the nice boxed sets to the thinpaks late in the series without giving people the option of buying the later seasons in the original boxed sets to match the others. Very annoying!
Old 08-06-09, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Got Gossip Girl Season 2 from Warner today, They have an outer slip case and a thick DVD-style case I have not seen in a while. Glad to see that didn't stick to the slim design of Season 1 (which was 7 episodes shorter than S2).

On top of that, the S2 is a bit taller so it looks odd on the shelf:

Last edited by Gizmo; 08-06-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-07-09, 03:08 PM
Cool New Member

Argh, I know exactly what you guys mean. I really don't mind the smaller packaging because I don't think it looks that bad and really does save a lot of space, I just hate it when studios switch in the middle of series. As was previously stated, even if the studios stuck these sets in slipcovers, most of them would match up pretty well (especially the "How I Met Your Mother" sets). Fox seems to be the worst offender of this - they couldn't even package two seasons of "The Riches" the same way. The "7th Heaven" sets also drive me nuts - the first two seasons are incredibly huge. They match perfectly, but are HUGE. Then seasons three on are all in the slimmer packaging, which is nice because all eleven seasons of that show in bulky packaging could take up an entire wall, but it drives me NUTS how the first two seasons don't match. I doubt Paramount/CBS will ever repackage them, so I want to myself, but can't find case inserts to match anywhere.
I'm OCD when it comes to my TV DVD sets, I can't really help it, so I won't lie: when FOX re-releases their older sets in the newer packaging, I'll probably buy them just so everything can match.
As for the Gossip Girl set, I'm a little pissed they switched the packaging after just one season, but I'm not surprised, since it's a 7-disc set.
Whew, sorry. Rant over.
Old 08-08-09, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It would be nice if FOX took the opportunity of this repack to put HIMYM Season 1 out in Widescreen. But I doubt that'll happen...

Universal redid season 1 of House in Anamorphic, and I think Paramount put out a Widescreen re-release of C.S.I. Season 1.

Frankly, I hate the keep cases. Especially something like Dollhouse where they don't even get a slipcover, but just a piece of one pasted onto the front.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.