Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Anyone else guilty of buying slim cases and being stuck w/ old ones

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying Slim DVD cases to replace the standard case and then being stuck with a bunch of extra 14mm single cases?
Old 02-16-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Anyone else guilty of buying slim cases and being stuck w/ old ones

...creating vague thread titles? Can't say I am.
Old 02-16-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm sure someone else is, but it isn't me. I don't muck with DVD packages.
Old 02-16-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Look here

We have an entire forum devoted to cases and such. You might find someone who'll take 'em off your hands.
Old 02-16-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

How did I know that someone was going to bitch about the thread title? Then not read the original post?

I do have a whole bunch of "extra" regular width dvd cases with original artwork fromteh dvds in my collection. I put everything in thinpaks.
Old 02-16-09, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
How did I know that someone was going to bitch about the thread title? Then not read the original post?
You're making it sound like it's the repliers fault that the OP didn't follow forum etiquette.
Old 02-16-09, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
You're making it sound like it's the repliers fault that the OP didn't follow forum etiquette.
Exactly. I recently complained about the lack of posting etiquette by new members, but got flamed by everyone, and was told that I was being a mini-mod. See how annoying these threads are?
Old 02-16-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ohh wow! Let's complain about the stupid thread title! Because there isn't more important things to discuss!
Old 02-16-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aren't. There aren't more important things to discuss.

I see you still have much to learn, a Jedi Master you are not.
Old 02-16-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
I was being a mini-mod.
We have way too many of those around here....
Someone makes a mistake, cut them some slack....
No one is perfect....
Old 02-16-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously though, no offense to anyone, but if you care that much about a thread title{or grammar on a message board}, then you need to get a life.
Old 02-16-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But seriosuly, if you clicked on the "vague" thread title, then read the first post. It really isnt that hard. Then, hopefully we wouldn't get these mini-mod dickhead comment posts.
Old 02-16-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Seriously though, no offense to anyone, but if you care that much about a thread title{or grammar on a message board}, then you need to get a life.
I suggest you stay out of Otterville.
Old 02-16-09, 02:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
you need to get a life.
So says the self-professsed "jedi master".
Old 02-16-09, 02:30 PM
Banned

I don't want to hear anyone bitch about vague thread titles anymore...we have that stupid fucking balloon-thingie that allows you to read the gist of the first post before opening the thread to see it. Nearly everyone who responded in my thread about how annoying I find this extra "bonus function" to be said that they liked it. Vague thread title? Read the first post, dolts. If you click on it then, it's your own fucking fault.
Old 02-16-09, 02:34 PM
Banned

I feel like DVDTalk is turning lately into another IMDB forum.
Old 02-16-09, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by chazparks
Buying Slim DVD cases to replace the standard case and then being stuck with a bunch of extra 14mm single cases?
Nope. The cases I can throw out. The cat my wife brought home from the retirement home where she works because she couldn't stand to see it go to to the shelter and be put down, said cat having then spent 3 days growling under the bed only to come out and pee on my shoes, THAT I'm stuck with.
Old 02-16-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ace Of Spades
I don't want to hear anyone bitch about vague thread titles anymore...we have that stupid fucking balloon-thingie that allows you to read the gist of the first post before opening the thread to see it. Nearly everyone who responded in my thread about how annoying I find this extra "bonus function" to be said that they liked it. Vague thread title? Read the first post, dolts. If you click on it then, it's your own fucking fault.
That's it exactly. Problem is some people like to bitch and moan more than they like to read.
Old 02-16-09, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to DVDtalk chazparks

Don't let the local fool you... they're mostly harmless... mostly

Anyway please take some time to look around and get a feel for the place. In particular wrt you thread, we prefer it if people make the title as descriptive as possible. I know there is the "balloon" feature now but we still request not to have vague titles. Second you'll notice we have multiple areas in the forum for various discussions. Since this is about cases it really should go into the "Covers and Cases" sub-forum. I'll take care of this issues for you this time, but please be mindful of this in the future.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy you time here

Mod note: To everyone else... if you have a problem w/ a thread/poster please use the RTP feature (the in the corner of every post. Do not mock people, esp. the newbies and don't get belligerent. Just report the post and move on. Thanks
Old 02-16-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Anyone else guilty of buying slim cases and being stuck w/ old ones

I have converted over 50% of my collection to Thinpaks (using covers downloaded from r1db.com) and I must admit that I throw the old 14 mm cases out with the garbage as I convert. For a while I had a LOT of cases every week, but since I've gotten caught up I now only have 1 or 2 at a time to throw out. For some reason I keep the cases which will hold 2 discs (14 mm), even though there are Thinpak cases which also hold 2 discs and I convert the 2 disc sets to Thinpak too. So, this thread just made me think - why the heck am I saving the 14 mm cases which hold 2 discs - time to re-evaluate this thinking!!! Here in Japan Thinpak cases are very easy to find and very cheap - both single disc and double disc ones. There are also nice 14 mm cases which hold 4 discs.
Old 02-17-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by danwiz
I have converted over 50% of my collection to Thinpaks (using covers downloaded from r1db.com) and I must admit that I throw the old 14 mm cases out with the garbage as I convert. For a while I had a LOT of cases every week, but since I've gotten caught up I now only have 1 or 2 at a time to throw out. For some reason I keep the cases which will hold 2 discs (14 mm), even though there are Thinpak cases which also hold 2 discs and I convert the 2 disc sets to Thinpak too. So, this thread just made me think - why the heck am I saving the 14 mm cases which hold 2 discs - time to re-evaluate this thinking!!! Here in Japan Thinpak cases are very easy to find and very cheap - both single disc and double disc ones. There are also nice 14 mm cases which hold 4 discs.
I did this too. Converted everything over to the thinnest case possible. Every single disc set is in a thinpak, 2 disc sets are in 2 disc thinpaks, 3-6 discs sets are in single width dvd cases, and anything above is in an inch wide case. Cut the space it takes to store this stuff down in half. I had room in the attic, so I boxed all the unused cases, incase for some reason I go back to them, or decide to sell some dvds. In reality, I just cant bring myself to toss them, for soem reason.
Old 02-18-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I did this too. Converted everything over to the thinnest case possible. Every single disc set is in a thinpak, 2 disc sets are in 2 disc thinpaks, 3-6 discs sets are in single width DVD cases, and anything above is in an inch wide case. Cut the space it takes to store this stuff down in half. I had room in the attic, so I boxed all the unused cases, incase for some reason I go back to them, or decide to sell some DVDs. In reality, I just can’t bring myself to toss them, for some reason.
Start by tossing out half of them. That's what I did and then it became easier to toss the rest away. Certainly save a couple dozen if you decide to sell something down the line. These space hogs are just plastic and are not worth anything monetarily, much like most of our DVDs.

So, this thread just made me think - why the heck am I saving the 14 mm cases which hold 2 discs - time to re-evaluate this thinking!!!
I went through the same thought process. For some reason the 2 discs cases seemed more special to me. I finally wised-up and pitched them too. Now, I got to find the reserve to toss the red and blu cases. In time. . .
Old 02-18-09, 08:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I have converted over 50% of my collection to Thinpaks (using covers downloaded from r1db.com)
If you throw out the old cases, why bother to print new covers? Just trim the old artwork slightly and it will fit in the slimcases with titles very readable on the spines.
Old 02-18-09, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
If you throw out the old cases, why bother to print new covers? Just trim the old artwork slightly and it will fit in the slimcases with titles very readable on the spines.
I don't even trim mine. Just have some extra paper bunching up in the front and back of case. Paper can be creased faster than being trimmed IMO. The only thing to reprint would be box cover (TV series) for example they don't have a nice page that can be stuck in front of the case.

I like the insert so I've kept my 2-Disc 14mm for the clips to store that. 2-Disc 14mm without the clips are like the 1-Disc option for me. They might have a benefit if there is a series and some of the titles are in 14mm it would better to keep them in all that size case as long as there is shelf space.
Old 02-18-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Have they made slim cases big enough so you don't have to trim the artwork yet?

Last edited by MR Round; 02-18-09 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.