Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Your favorite DVD case? Snapper case or Keep case?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 12-18-18, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm new here to this forum and i'm happy to be here. Recently weeks ago, I was feeling nostalgic and decided to collect some Nightmare on Elm Street Snapper case dvd's. What's your favorite case and which one do you prefer. Should i keep my snap cases and put the discs in a different case so i can extend the life of my discs? Also is there a way i can look after my snapper case dvds to prevent them from getting scratched? Remember, they are brand new and no scratches.
Old 12-18-18, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Your favorite DVD case? Snapper case or Keep case?

Anyone?
Old 12-18-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Welcome to the forum, you'll have to be patient as the DVD Discussion forum does not have the traffic it used to.

I agree the "snappers" are nice cases but they can be difficult to keep looking good. The best way is just to keep them on a shelf and avoid moving them around more than necessary.

My favorite would probably be the cardboard "digi-paks" which were tri-fold cardboard with the plastic disc tray glued-in and then usually placed in a side-load slipcover.

Many titles I replaced with Blu-ray but I've always found it hard to part with the DVD because the packaging is so much nicer than the Blu. Very few Blu-rays come with anything more than an eco-case and a flimsy trap sheet.
Old 12-18-18, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was being esoteric, I'd say my favorite is a weird keepcase design from Japan that was used only sparingly in the early days of DVD. I found the name and patent application once, but forget what they're called. I have just two of them.

If you're really looking to protect a snapper, I'd suggest a mylar storage bag (somebody must make the DVD equivalent of a comic book bag) with a little dessicate/silica packet inside, but even I'm not that anal...and they're likely worth nearly nothing. When I buy a boxed set, I do try to leave the shrinkwrap on 5 sides, and put movies with easily-scratched packaging (like those with plastic slipcovers) in a storage bag.

Yes, the Covers & Cases forum gets very little traffic nowadays. Welcome to the board!

Last edited by thetao; 12-19-18 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

My favorite cases are standard size DVD/BR "keep cases." They are compact (can fit up to 8 discs in a standard size DVD case with the proper "pages") fit nicely on the shelf, look good, and protect the disc(s). The worst are digipak (fall apart quickly/easily, unrepairable/irreplaceable if damaged, eat space like there's no tomorrow, and are clumsy to use), spindle cases (stacking discs is asking for trouble), and those cardboard book sleeve affairs (prone to scratching discs).
Old 12-18-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I never liked snapper cases personally. They always felt cheap and the snapper part didn’t always work the best or could wear out. Always preferred the standard keep cases for DVDs. Though now I prefer the Blu-ray cases since they’re shorter and a bit thinner. A bit more compact so more can fit to a shelf.
Old 12-18-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I never liked snapper cases personally. They always felt cheap and the snapper part didn’t always work the best or could wear out. Always preferred the standard keep cases for DVDs. Though now I prefer the Blu-ray cases since they’re shorter and a bit thinner. A bit more compact so more can fit to a shelf.
Yeah, I was never a fan of the cardboard snappers.
Old 12-18-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,786 Likes on 1,203 Posts

It was my impression that snappers were universally reviled!

I always had a love/hate thing with the gatefold cases like for the alien quadrilogy. So stylish, even if having to fold/unfold to get to a certain disc was a pain.
Old 12-18-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
If you're really looking to protect a snapper, I'd suggest a mylar storage bag (somebody must make the DVD equivalent of a comic book bag) with a little dessicate/silica packet inside, but even I'm not that anal...and they're likely worth nearly nothing. When I buy a boxed set, I do try to leave the shrinkwrap on 5 sides, and put movies with easily-scratched packaging (like those with plastic slipcovers) in a storage bag.

Yes, the Covers & Cases forum gets very little traffic nowadays. Welcome to the board!
Years ago when dvd collecting was at it's prime I made a thread asking for protecting my snapper cases and a few users suggested some snapper poly bags that fit perfectly on snappers. I still have tons of them left.

I hate ALL dvd cases. They all garbage. None age well.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My favorite cases are standard size DVD/BR "keep cases." They are compact (can fit up to 8 discs in a standard size DVD case with the proper "pages") fit nicely on the shelf, look good, and protect the disc(s). The worst are digipak (fall apart quickly/easily, unrepairable/irreplaceable if damaged, eat space like there's no tomorrow, and are clumsy to use), spindle cases (stacking discs is asking for trouble), and those cardboard book sleeve affairs (prone to scratching discs).
I prefer blu-cases over DVD cases. The 4K black cases are also glossy pieces of crap.
Old 12-19-18, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
It was my impression that snappers were universally reviled!

I always had a love/hate thing with the gatefold cases like for the alien quadrilogy. So stylish, even if having to fold/unfold to get to a certain disc was a pain.
I like gatefold cases a lot despite them being a bit more bulky. They have more of a shelf presence to me and nicely display whatever the contents they contain.
Old 12-19-18, 06:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 249 Posts

I really dislike snap cases, they just feel cheap, like they wanted the most inexpensive option to ship these discs in. I also really dislike eco-cases, for the same reason. I don't mind digipaks, I've only had issues with one or two of all the digipaks I own. I don't particularly care for the drawer type cases (Avatar Extended Edition) as the discs slide against the cardboard every time you take them out or put them back in. The playing surface of discs should be held away from contact with anything, although blu-ray discs are in less danger of damage than DVDs. I dislike using standard size keep cases for 3 or more discs unless they're mounted on trays, overlapping discs are a pain in the ass. Stacked discs are an accident waiting to happen. My personal favorite is the non-eco keep case, whether for DVD or blu-ray (HD Slim, according to DVD Profiler).

Oh, and welcome to DVD Talk...

Last edited by kd5; 12-19-18 at 09:33 AM.