Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Steelbooks - what's the big deal?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Steelbooks - what's the big deal?

Old 11-20-07, 07:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I'd have agree. My favorites so far are 12 Monkeys and V for Vendetta.
V is a little busy, but still nice. but "12 Monkeys" is prolly the best i've seen. not exactly sure why, but i am mesmerized by that one. the German "Amityville Horror" is next on my list to tackle. something bout it...

Old 11-20-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I so far have completely avoided steelbooks. To me they're a glorified digi-pak, and I don't like digi-paks because if they get damaged, you're screwed. At lease keepcases you can replace.

My Halo 2 came in a steelbook and the plastic spine eventually split.
Old 11-20-07, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a question. Has anyones steelbook rusted yet lol
Old 11-20-07, 10:19 PM

If you read their website (the company that makes them), you get an idea of where they are coming from in terms of marketing appeal. For those that don't know, or have not read enough on this topic, Steelbook is a copyrighted name for a specific type of metal case (they are labeled Steelbook inside the case). Their are other companies making metal cases, tin cases, etc, but a "Steelbook" is from a specific company. All other steel cases are NOT "Steelbook" cases.

Oh, I kind of like them in that they do give you this false belief in that they are protecting the dvd better than a regular or digipack case. I have a few, and I wouldn't mind picking up some of the rare ones of movies I like (simply to have it as part of my collection and admire the case on the shelves, and I'm a nerd when it comes to talking about my collection). I don't know what I'm going to do though if I get more of them, because they will most definately scratch up if they are next to each other and someone just grabs one and slides it against another all willy-nilly. I have been disappointed in some though with the lack of detail that has gone into some. Case in point: Grindhouse steelbooks. I think their okay, but I like what they did with The Departed Steelbook by putting artwork inside the case as well. And I've seen pics of the Spiderman 3 Steelbook on-line, and when I first saw that image of black spidey looking at red spidey upside down, I imagined them putting that inside a steelbook, and then they did just that.

As far as what the big deal is with them, it's all just marketing hype, but there is a market for them, and I think they are here to stay. Shoot, seeing all these pics of steelbooks I want and don't have just feed more fuel to the fire.
Old 11-20-07, 10:32 PM

I've got a question about the X-Men 3: The Last Stand steelbook ... is it a single or double disc?

Thanks
Old 11-20-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by emack_ca
I've got a question about the X-Men 3: The Last Stand steelbook ...
BTW, this is almost impossible to find on the net.
Old 11-20-07, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by emack_ca
I've got a question about the X-Men 3: The Last Stand steelbook ... is it a single or double disc?

Thanks
single disc. though from what people who own it have said, there are two hubs, so it seems like it was intended for a 2-disc set. BUT there was only one disc when it was released.
Old 11-20-07, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shyguy1083
single disc. though from what people who own it have said, there are two hubs, so it seems like it was intended for a 2-disc set. BUT there was only one disc when it was released.
Yep, mine only came with one disc and has 2 hubs and also came with a comic book. I never knew until a couple months ago that it was rare. I even tried to look for people selling it on ebay and found absolutely nothing so i don't know really how rare it is if no one on ebay is selling it. (not that i want to sell it, just curious to know how much i can go for)
Old 11-21-07, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Yep, mine only came with one disc and has 2 hubs and also came with a comic book. I never knew until a couple months ago that it was rare. I even tried to look for people selling it on ebay and found absolutely nothing so i don't know really how rare it is if no one on ebay is selling it. (not that i want to sell it, just curious to know how much i can go for)
>200. More like ~250. I know, it's crazy.
Old 11-21-07, 06:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
I forgot if I ever answered the OP's question, but here's my take.

I like steelbooks, but typically won't pay much extra for them. Until yesterday, the only ones I owned were ones that came with another exclusive, like the Best Buy bonus discs in the Grindhouse films.

But I did buy the BB Die Hard 4 steelbook yesterday, no exclusive, but it was the same price as the regular 2 disc version elsewhere. I wasn't going to buy it, as I typically don't buy any film for more than the $5 CH price unless it has an exclusive disc. But the combination of the exclusive steelbook, the lowest price anyway, and the free movie ticket made it a go for me.
Old 11-21-07, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I so far have completely avoided steelbooks. To me they're a glorified digi-pak, and I don't like digi-paks because if they get damaged, you're screwed. At lease keepcases you can replace.
I agree, but sometimes a Digipak or steelbook gives you a nicer package. My first instinct when I saw copies of An Evening With Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder in keepcases from Hollywood Video was to buy one and replace the Digipak mine came in, but the Digipak is foil-covered and has fold out panels with extra artwork. I can live with the Digipak in that instance, and am still trying to find an excuse to buy a Steelbook. I'm glad there's an option to stick with keepcases though, because that's what I generally prefer.
Old 11-23-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by oldboy87
Yeah, amazon.de still has loads of them:

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w?_...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

And having had a quick look, I can confidently say that in Germany, steelbooks must be more commonplace than amray cases. They have a limited edition steelbook of Alone in the Dark. Seriously. Alone-in-the-motherfuckin-dark.
(erm, apologies to those two guys who liked it. but you know what i mean.)
is anyone here from germany and feeling a steelbook overload, over there?
I've never ordered anything from a non-US site like this one but after seeing some of those steelbooks I'm definitely interested. Is it easy to do and pay for with a credit card and are there any drawbacks to buying from here? Thanks!
Old 11-24-07, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

The drawback of ordering from amazon.de is that you run the risk of receiving dented or damaged steelbooks through the post because the packaging is not the best in the world. Unlike amazon.com (USA) which puts dvds in boxes and with bubble pad or air cushions, amazon.de simply wraps the steelbooks (no matter how many in one shipment, with a hard cardboard. Even when you complain and write in for a replacement and specifically instructs them on how to improve the packing, the next batch still arrives the same way.
Old 11-24-07, 10:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by coltonford
The drawback of ordering from amazon.de is that you run the risk of receiving dented or damaged steelbooks through the post because the packaging is not the best in the world. Unlike amazon.com (USA) which puts dvds in boxes and with bubble pad or air cushions, amazon.de simply wraps the steelbooks (no matter how many in one shipment, with a hard cardboard. Even when you complain and write in for a replacement and specifically instructs them on how to improve the packing, the next batch still arrives the same way.
i've ordered 2 recently from .de and both came fast and in perfect condition.
Old 11-25-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered the following titles from Amazon.de;

Cube Zero
Gladiator - Extended Special Edition - Bulletproof Collection
Ice Age
Ice Age 2 - Jetzt taut's
Pans Labyrinth

If I understood the translation correctly, the order will take 7-9 business days to arrive.

232 Steelbooks to choose from.
Old 12-07-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R2 Steelbook Amazon.de order

My second R2 Steelbook order with Amazon.de;

Black Hawk Down (Bulletproof Collection, 3 DVDs)
Blues Brothers/Blues Brothers 2000 (Bulletproof Collection, 2 DVDs)
Jurassic Park Trilogy - Bulletproof Collection (3 DVDs)

Eragon - Das Vermächtnis der Drachenreiter (Special Edition, 2 DVDs)
The Fast and the Furious 1 - 3 (Ultimate Collection, 3 DVDs)
King Kong (Deluxe Extended Edition, 3 DVDs)
X-Men (Special Edition, 2 DVDs)
X-Men 2 (Special Edition, 2 DVDs)
X-Men 3 (Special Edition, 2 DVDs)

During the checkout process, all of the prices had dropped by about 16% or Euro 23.74.
Order is expected to arrive December 14 - December 17, 2007.
Old 12-15-07, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any difference between the Canadian The Boondock Saints and the American one, aside from the American one being called the "Unrated Special Edition" and being released under 20th Century Fox and the Canadian one being called the "Deluxe Collector's Edition" and being released under Maple? Because I bought what I thought to be the US version on ebay and received the Canadian one.
Old 12-16-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R2 Terminator Extreme Edition Steelbook

I ordered the R2 Terminator Extreme Edition Steelbook from Japan.

I am glad that I was able to navigate through Amazon.co.jp to order this. The only seller on eBay, wanted $111.xx + $22.60 for shipping.
Old 12-16-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jurassic Park Trilogy - Bulletproof Collection OOP

That was fast. Amazon.de released this Steelbook on November 8, 2007 and it is already OOP.

Last edited by howwon; 12-16-07 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two day FedEx International Priority from Japan to Canada.

Old 12-19-07, 02:12 PM

So howwon, do you have a region free dvd player to watch your non R1 steelies?

Also, how do you find steelbook in amazon's jp website. I tried typing in "steelbook" but nothing comes up.
Old 12-20-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Ultimate Bourne Collection R2 UK

Old 12-21-07, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by howwon
Two day FedEx International Priority from Japan to Canada.

So what's the difference between that and the region 1 extreme, anyway?
Old 12-22-07, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

1. Nicer cover art.
2. More rare than regular special editions, so more appealing to collectors.
3. Some Steelbooks are country/store exclusive.
4. They also have great back cover and inside cover art, normal DVDs do not.
5. Many foreign Steelbooks use only english language which makes them great to import and exchange the region coded DVD's.

...do we need anymore reasons to like Steelbooks?
Old 12-24-07, 03:27 PM

I was referring to the contents, actually...you know, any differences in the extras and transfer, etc?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.