Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Anyone use CD slim jewel cases for DVD storage?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm debating how to store my DVDs. Right now, I have most of the collection in binders, but I'm starting to question how well this protects the discs. So now I'm thinking of using slim CD jewel cases. Anyone else currently doing this and, if so, how well is it working out?
Old 09-09-07, 06:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm debating how to store my DVDs. Right now, I have most of the collection in binders, but I'm starting to question how well this protects the discs. So now I'm thinking of using slim CD jewel cases. Anyone else currently doing this and, if so, how well is it working out?
there ARE slim DVD cases too ya know...
Old 09-10-07, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
there ARE slim DVD cases too ya know...
Of course, but I would think a cd slim case would take up less height than the DVD version and would allow me to add more shelves in the same space and, thus, more storage potential. Still, if anyone has good reasons why I should consider DVD slim cases over CD slim casese, I'm more than happy to hear the reasons.
Old 09-10-07, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can print a cover for the DVD thin cases and the cd slim cases you have to make a cover from scratch
Old 09-10-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'll waste so much more time creating all new covers for cd cases, though. I can't even imagine how much work that would be for an entire collection. ::shudder::

Also, jewel cases are never the right solution
Old 09-10-07, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
You can print a cover for the DVD thin cases and the cd slim cases you have to make a cover from scratch
Good point but I'm not interested in making covers. As I said, I currently have my DVDs in binders with the cases packed away. If I was, I'd probably take the easy way out and just shrink and center the DVD cover image. If I use clear, slim jewel cases, the DVD's label could act as the art except in the case of flippers. Oddly, I'm a graphic artist and illustrator but I don't feel inspired to create new cover designs such as the sharp ones that canaryfarmer has done. Although, before "Buffy" was released on DVD I had taped all the episodes off air (what a pain that was) and did make fancy labels and art covers of the various seasons for the VHS tapes and cases. Maybe I burnt myself out.

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Also, jewel cases are never the right solution
Why are jewel cases never the right solution? Is it because of the cover art or is there another reason that I should know?
Old 09-10-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hate jewel cases. I wish I had good reasons for that, but I just dislike using them and avoid it whenever possible. They just feel so....cheap, I guess. Just an opinion. (My CD collection dwarfs my DVD collection, and while I keep all of my dvds in their keepcases/digipaks/whathaveyou, I have all of my CD's in 8 big ole' binders.)
Old 09-12-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
If you dont do artwork for the cases how will you know which disc is which? I assume you want to save space so you will put them on the shelf spine out to maximize the amount you can store. Can you put an insert in a slim jewel, that you can read with teh spine facing out on a shelf?
Old 09-12-07, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
If you dont do artwork for the cases how will you know which disc is which? I assume you want to save space so you will put them on the shelf spine out to maximize the amount you can store. Can you put an insert in a slim jewel, that you can read with teh spine facing out on a shelf?
I'm trying to save a little space, either by binder or by having CDs and DVDs live together on the same rack. I'm not worried about artwork because most DVDs have a label that can be seen through the clear case. If it's a flipper I can always add a sticker to the outer case with the film's title or a filing number. I really don't like DVD cases because they take up too much space and, depending on their design, it is sometimes difficult to remove a disc from them. It's almost like a chinese finger trap where you pull and pull and the disc just won't come out, but it sure will bend. That can't be good for the DVD.

Last edited by Pizza; 09-12-07 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how many dvds you own, but you'll still want to do some kind of spine art since you can't see the discs when they're all lined up. That could take awhile, depending on the size of your collection.
Old 09-13-07, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
I don't know how many dvds you own, but you'll still want to do some kind of spine art since you can't see the discs when they're all lined up. That could take awhile, depending on the size of your collection.
I would agree. I suppose I would have some kind of "spider sense" where titles were on the shelf after setting it up, but names or numbers on the spine would certainly make it easier, especially for my wife, to find a specific disc.
Old 09-14-07, 05:17 AM

Well, all likes and dislikes towards jewel cases are subjective so you should consider what's more important for you, to figure out your priorities so to say. If you don't care about covers, CD-jewels are a nice solution, they really don't occupy that much space and they are pretty firm and safe. I usually use them when I lend my DVDs to friends. If I weren't a sucker for nice DVD-covers and looking for some free space I'd obviously use them.
Old 09-14-07, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Giggles
Well, all likes and dislikes towards jewel cases are subjective so you should consider what's more important for you, to figure out your priorities so to say. If you don't care about covers, CD-jewels are a nice solution, they really don't occupy that much space and they are pretty firm and safe. I usually use them when I lend my DVDs to friends. If I weren't a sucker for nice DVD-covers and looking for some free space I'd obviously use them.
Thank, Giggles. After taking a week reading these posts and thinking it through, I've decided to give it a try with the slim CD-jewels. I can still display a few of the nicer DVD cases/box-sets on a nearby shelf. I suppose I could even incorporate a few key DVD cases as dividers for genres and such. My sincere thanks to all for expressng your opinions and helping me take a serious look at this before making a final decision.