DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS
View Poll Results: Do you prefer WB use keepcases, slim cases or what?
I want the good old keep case!
38.89%
I need to save space - Give me a slim.
42.59%
Paper and tins are my way of doing business.
1.85%
I don't care.
16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

WB's keep cases - Have they come to their senses?

Old 08-16-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WB's keep cases - Have they come to their senses?

Most of you know that I HATE when WB or any studio cheaps out with the slim cases. Yes, I know some of you love them because of the space they save, but I and others think they look bad and don't like the way they display.

I have noticed that the last few box sets (John Wayne, Lucille Ball, Shakespeare) have been once again in normal keep cases. Even the Film Noir 4 was in keep cases although they did the ultimate sin and put two movies on one disc - no sale here.

What does anyone know about why this keeps changing?

Further, what do you prefer?
Old 08-16-07, 06:16 PM

I like the normal keep cases when buying an individual dvd, but when buying a box set or TV Season, I like the slim cases....so, I'm torn.
Old 08-17-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The packaging isn't as important to me as the content on the discs.

With that said, I'm not huge on the slim cases, but that won't keep me from buying a DVD set.
Old 08-17-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I much prefer the slim cases for box sets and TV shows... I wish studios would use them more often. I actually sold off my Angel, Buffy and X-Files sets, and bought them again, just to switch to the slim packs. And if I'm iffy about a particular box set, I'll pass on it if it doesn't come in slim cases.

Rob
Old 08-17-07, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the slim cases only for a TV show set. Boxed sets of movies I want in keepcases.
Old 08-17-07, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

slim cases are good for box sets only...however, they dont seem to hold the DVD in place all the time
Old 08-17-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
slim cases are good for box sets only...however, they dont seem to hold the DVD in place all the time

Yea, I've had many a Deep Discount package come with floaters inside slim cases.
Old 08-17-07, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like xflexxy, my preferences are standard keep cases for individually-sold Dvds and space-saving slim cases for box sets.
Old 08-17-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Same here
Old 08-17-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have a problem with slim cases at all. I prefer them for box sets: saves space.
Old 08-17-07, 10:01 AM

I think this is a cost-cutting measure on Warner Bros.' part. Instead of releasing individually in keepcases and having slims for the sets, now they've gone back to just keepcases. The thing is these new keepcases are lighter and feel cheaper than the older ones. Also, they seem to have phased out chapter selection on the menus (there are still chapter stops, but no menu screen for them). I prefer less cheap cases, keep or slim, and chapter menus.
Old 08-17-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the slim cases. If I had a better printer, I'd scan my old cardboard snapper cases and put them all in slim cases. As it is, if I buy a used DVD, and the keepcase is in roughshape, I put them into new slim cases.
Old 08-17-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least we aren't getting snapper cases.
Old 08-17-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RobCA
I much prefer the slim cases for box sets and TV shows... I wish studios would use them more often. I actually sold off my Angel, Buffy and X-Files sets, and bought them again, just to switch to the slim packs.
Didn't you lose content on your "upgrade" with The X-Files? I thought I read that they dropped at least one bonus disc.

I like the slimcases okay especially for TV sets. The Chosen Collection takes up a quarter of the space the original Buffy took up!
Old 08-17-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Didn't you lose content on your "upgrade" with The X-Files? I thought I read that they dropped at least one bonus disc.
Yup, but I usually only watch the extras once, and I'd already seen them on the old sets. Losing the extras was well worth the space I gained. YMMV

Besides, I always hated how those old sets are like, a mile long when they're open. I find the slim sets much easier to deal with, when I want to watch a disc.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-17-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-17-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kerborus
Even the Film Noir 4 was in keep cases although they did the ultimate sin and put two movies on one disc - no sale here.
Are you fucking kidding me? The way they paired up the films was inspired, one "A-movie" with one "B-movie" per disc - both films on each double-feature disc complimented each other perfectly. Additionally, they are all great fucking movies, and if the only thing that keeps you from buying it is that there's 2 movies on each disc, well, you're no movie fan, especially not a film-noir fan - you're just a dvd/packaging fan.

Last edited by slop101; 08-17-07 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-17-07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Are you fucking kidding me? The way they paired up the films was inspired, one "A-movie" with one "B-movie" per disc - both films on each double-feature disc complimented each other perfectly. Additionally, they are all great fucking movies, and if the only thing that keeps you from buying it is that there's 2 movies on each disc, well, you're no movie fan, especially not a film-noir fan - you're just a dvd/packaging fan.
I could not agree more, although I probably would have tried to say it nicer

If two movies compress well without quality loss onto one 9Gig DVD-9, what the heck is wrong with that?!