Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Just got my order today from DD ... there must be a better way to package DVD's

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Pretty fast shipping this time. However, DVD packaging has to change...

-Texas Chainsaw Massacre Steelbook
-Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning 2 Pack (This one was a dissapointment. Bought it thinking both of the movies would be in one case with new art. Wrong. Both of the existing DVD's wrapped together in cellophane.)
-Crash/Monster's Ball 2 pack (Same deal. Both existing DVD's in a box).
-Easy Money/Back to School 2 pack
-Alien Quadrilogy
-Fight Club Steelbook
-Kids / Rules of Attraction 2 pack

After taking almost 30 minutes to open up all of them, the cellophane stuck to the side of EVERY SINGLE DVD (except of course the steelbooks and Alien set). The glue from the security stickers left a huge amount of residue on every DVD also. This is especially annoying with the DVDs that have them on all 3 sides.
Looks like I'll be replacing all cases.
Old 06-12-07, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Goo Gone removes the residue from security stickers. You can buy it at any home improvement store. I've also found that it removes glue from the spines as well, with a little more work.

Yes, it's definitely annoying, but there's no need to replace your cases because of sticker residue.
Old 06-12-07, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
Goo Gone removes the residue from security stickers. You can buy it at any home improvement store. I've also found that it removes glue from the spines as well, with a little more work.

Yes, it's definitely annoying, but there's no need to replace your cases because of sticker residue.

Sorry to threadcrap, but am I the only one that notices that, although Goo Gone does work great, it lightens the plastic outer layer?(can't even think of the name right now)
Old 06-13-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I agree with you, it's very annoying how the plastic sticks to the case.
I have to say though that your thread title makes it sound like you are calling out DD for their shipment packaging. But this issue has nothing to do with DD whatsoever.
Old 06-13-07, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I agree with you, it's very annoying how the plastic sticks to the case.
I have to say though that your thread title makes it sound like you are calling out DD for their shipment packaging. But this issue has nothing to do with DD whatsoever.
yeah i guess youre right....
still though, what are the chances of EVERY DVD I bought from them getting f'd up when opening?
Seems like they store their DVD in a high temp room.
Old 06-13-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to DD's warehouse and it's modern and temperature-controlled. That's not to say your postal carrier didn't leave the package in the back of a hot truck all day.

It's ridiculous that you're blaming DD for security stickers and cellophane, which are the fault of manufacturers, not retailers.
Old 06-13-07, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have had a little bit of a problem with cellophane sticking to the spine of the DVD case in the past, but not really this time. i had no problems with DDD this time, VERY fast shipping and no problems.
Old 06-13-07, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by benh911
Sorry to threadcrap, but am I the only one that notices that, although Goo Gone does work great, it lightens the plastic outer layer?(can't even think of the name right now)
soap + water. i kid you not. just a small amount though, rubbed with finger tip.
Old 06-13-07, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I've been to DD's warehouse and it's modern and temperature-controlled. That's not to say your postal carrier didn't leave the package in the back of a hot truck all day.

It's ridiculous that you're blaming DD for security stickers and cellophane, which are the fault of manufacturers, not retailers.
I'm not blaming them. This has happened before when I bought DVDs from other places.
Like I said, all of them are messed up. Could be the mail carrier though who knows
Old 06-13-07, 03:51 AM

How are they normally packaged when you have ordered before? Im not sure if it makes a difference, but being from the UK, they always arrive in a box and packaged really well inside. Not stuck together, just placed on top of each other and wrapped really well inside and protected.

Of course, I have yet to receive my orders from the sale, but the packaging is usually top notch.
Old 06-13-07, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joel Goodsen
How are they normally packaged when you have ordered before? Im not sure if it makes a difference, but being from the UK, they always arrive in a box and packaged really well inside. Not stuck together, just placed on top of each other and wrapped really well inside and protected.

Of course, I have yet to receive my orders from the sale, but the packaging is usually top notch.
I'm not talking about the way DD ships their DVD's, that is fine. I'm talking about the way they are shrinkwrapped and loaded with security stickers. If one doesnt leave sticky residue on the case, the other will. In this case, they bpoth did to every DVD I ordered.
Old 06-13-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The worst thing is if the paper cover is misaligned under the plastic sleeve and the security tape touches it. Then there's no way to remove the tape without tearing the paper insert. This has only happened to me on two occasions but it ruins the paper covers.
Old 06-13-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sorry to threadcrap, but am I the only one that notices that, although Goo Gone does work great, it lightens the plastic outer layer?(can't even think of the name right now)"

I know exactly what you are refering to. I typically use another cloth of some sort to remove the remaining leftovers(the lightening of the plastic). I've never had a goo b gone leave a case worse off then when it started.

obscurelabel: When you pick up the DVD in the store just make sure that the cover art is not above the plastic cover of the DVD case. The few times that happened to me was when I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 06-13-07 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
After taking almost 30 minutes to open up all of them, the cellophane stuck to the side of EVERY SINGLE DVD case (except of course the steelbooks and Alien set). The glue from the security stickers left a huge amount of residue on every DVD case also. This is especially annoying with the DVD cases that have them on all 3 sides.
Looks like I'll be replacing all cases.
Fixed?

I keep my DVDs in binders and only extract them and any insert after meticulously slicing a razor along two edges. This allows the case to open and I usually just leave the cellophane wrapping on -- with security stickers too.
Old 06-13-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not blaming them. This has happened before when I bought DVDs from other places.
Like I said, all of them are messed up. Could be the mail carrier though who knows
Then your thread title is nothing short of misleading. From the forum thread view, it looks to be a gripe about DD when it is in fact a grip about how manfacturers seal their product.
Old 06-13-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I just use the same security sticker to remove the excess goo. I reapply the sticker and peel over and over and it works off the residue one little bit at a time. It works I tell ya and you don't have to use any chemicals. However, there is that occasion where you might buy a dvd that has sat for a few years and the adhesive has transformed somewhat into a more difficult substance to remove. Then you might have to break out the big guns.
Old 06-13-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst is when the paper cover is sticking out a little from the plastic and the security tag is stuck to that, if you don't notice before hand you end up ripping off part of the paper.
Old 06-13-07, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: Since this looks to be mainly about cases I'm moving it to the appropriate forum
Old 06-13-07, 09:50 AM
LiK

it's not DD's fault for the sticky plastic, i've had this happen from B&M stores like BB, Target etc. it probably happened when they were being shipped from the factories to the stores/warehouses. i used to care about this issue but i'm over it.
Old 06-13-07, 09:56 AM

I'm not talking about the way DD ships their DVD's, that is fine. I'm talking about the way they are shrinkwrapped and loaded with security stickers. If one doesnt leave sticky residue on the case, the other will. In this case, they bpoth did to every DVD I ordered.
Oh I see what you mean...thats early morning reading for you. Yeah I get that with the DVDs alot aswell but the soap on finger trick usually helps alot as logboy said.

It can be annoying because you dont buy DVDs to have hassle with getting them open.
Old 06-24-07, 06:22 PM

If not Goo Gone, you can use the sticker itself to remove the residue left on the case. Just press it on and pull it off. I find that usually works well, without having to use a liquid remover.