Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

14mm 6 disc stackable hub cases?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 02-21-07, 02:11 PM
Wag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried these cases before? I think they're pretty new, as I had never seen them before.
http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-c...4mm-black.html

They are basically a standard DVD case, with a 14mm spine, but they have a hub that lets you stack 1 to 6 discs. From the reviews, they seemed to be pretty good quality, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has used them. The idea seems awesome in theory but in practice could be a big shit sandwich.

For $8 for 50, I said F it and ordered some. The prospect of being able to take some of my TV and documentary sets and throw them into a standard case was too much to pass up.
Old 02-21-07, 03:27 PM
Bye

I haven't tried those, but I do have a 1" hub-less box that came with an, ahem, unofficial 7-disc set that I bought at a convention, and to me, any case that doesn't allow individual access to the discs is definitely a big shit sandwich, as you put it. I mean, what do you do with the other five discs when you want to watch the one on the bottom? The disc juggling might be worth the space savings to some, but I'd vote no. Definitely let us know what you think of them, though -- 8 bucks for 50 cases sounds pretty damn good to me.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 02-23-07 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
I use these

http://www.shop4tech.com/item3706.html

Standard 14mm spine. Disc 1 and 2, 5 and 6 overlap but don't touch. Disc 3 and 4 go on the center flap.
Old 02-22-07, 05:34 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by rw2516
I use these

http://www.shop4tech.com/item3706.html

Standard 14mm spine. Disc 1 and 2, 5 and 6 overlap but don't touch. Disc 3 and 4 go on the center flap.
Those are much more convenient -- not ideal, but there's no ideal way to get 6 discs in a 1/2" case. The cases themselves may be more flimsy though, so I guess it's a trade-off between getting a sturdier case or more convenient arrangement of the discs.
Old 02-22-07, 11:37 PM
Wag

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Those are much more convenient -- not ideal, but there's no ideal way to get 6 discs in a 1/2" case. The cases themselves may be more flimsy though, so I guess it's a trade-off between getting a sturdier case or more convenient arrangement of the discs.
Plus the decider for me was what to do with the insert, book, or whatever comes with the DVD. I did consider the cases that rw2516 refers to, and actually liked the accessibility of the discs better, but saw there wasn't any place to put inserts. Since the 6 disc stackable case is basically a regular case with a different hub, it has those clips for the inserts.

Now granted, inserts aren't that big of a deal, for most regular movies they aren't even necessary (or included anymore). But when I considered that I would be using these cases mainly TV shows and documentaries and those usually have informative, helpful, and necessary inserts.

These are enroute, and Supermediastore is usually pretty fast, so I should know soon whether these suck or not.
Old 02-23-07, 12:01 AM
Bye

(sarcasm) "Aw, man, who gives a shit... I don't care about stupid inserts..."

Ha, just yankin' your chain. Yeah, that's always a consideration. You can probably put an insert in those other cases, but it's definitely possible that it might get pinched, poked, or otherwise mangled by all the trays. I have seen the 1" version of something like that (i.e., ALF season sets) where there's an insert living happily inside the case with four discs, but things might get crowded in a 1/2" 6-disc case.
Old 02-23-07, 07:05 PM
Wag

I received my order today. They are indeed just like regular single 14 mm DVD cases, as far as sturdiness and build quality is concerned. So that was pretty cool considering I got 50 for $8.

This would be much easier to describe if I could get some pics up, but alas...maybe later.

As far as the hub is concerned, the best way I could describe it is that it is like a WB snapper hub, but 11 mm (7/16") tall. It has a similar button, that when pushed, swings four arms in, allowing the discs to be pulled out.

I was concerned that if you put less than 6 discs on the hub, that they would flop about in the case (and cause scratching), but the four arms seems to apply enough even pressure to keep that from happening. Plus each arm has a nub at the top to keep the discs from coming out.

I was also concerned about accessibility. But they seem to address that relatively well. The berm or circular raised area that typically aids the hub in keeping the discs in position is exaggerated in height to contain six instead of one disc (it is actually high enough to let you put a 7th disc in there). The access areas they usually cut into the berms to allow you to grab the disc go all the way down, so you are able to grab all six of the discs basketball style, push the button with the other hand, and lift out all six discs.

Granted, the discs aren't quite as accessible as the case that rw2516 referenced, just because if you want disc 6, you have to take all six out at a time, take disc 6, and then put the other 5 back in. But seeing as how I will be using these for documentaries and tv shows, there isn't a whole lot of fast swapping of discs anyway! hehehe

So I'd have to say, especially at $8 for 50, very recommended...especially if you have inserts or booklets (hehe Mike! hehe)