Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy quality dvd cases?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 12-08-06, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

In the interest of storing my home brewed HD DVD's in nice cases I was wondering if anyone would point me in the direction of a quality maufactured DVD case to store these items in. They can be single, double,triple, etc... as long as they are high quality. I have heard the name Amaray mentioned a few times but honestly I am a little out of my element in what to search for.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-10-06, 11:03 AM

Amarays are definitely the best brand for single width DVD Cases IMO.

Not sure where you're based but APR Media sell red amarays in the UK. Otherwise InetDVD used to be quite good.

HTH
Old 12-10-06, 12:35 PM
Bye

Heh? Homebrew HD-DVDs? I'd recommend Bags Unlimited for DVD cases, but I haven't seen anyone carrying the smaller HD-DVD cases. Not that you couldn't use regular Amaray cases, but if you're looking for replacement HD-DVD cases, I haven't seen any. For that matter, I haven't seen any recordable HD-DVD drives around, but I guess if BD-R is already out, anything is possible. Of course if you're talking about the hi-def capability of DVD Studio Pro 4, those aren't really HD-DVDs, they're little more than DVD-ROMs, actually.

cue Josh Z to come running in here and slam me for not knowing the complete technical specs of DVDSPro 4 by heart.
Old 12-10-06, 09:32 PM

Not looking for HDDVD cases until they become much more common place. Just quality DVD cases.

With getting into a large technical discussion. See this thread :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=667462

which is basically what I am doing. I have a NAS setup to stream DVD & TS content but I also need disc storage. Hence the creation of this thread.
Old 12-10-06, 11:28 PM
Bye

Ahh, okay, yeah. Kind of like the old "Mini DVD" thing where people used to burn VIDEO_TS folders to CD-R and players would see it as a low-capacity DVD. That's pretty cool. I think DVD Studio Pro does something a little different involving WM9, etc. I hadn't heard of what you describe. Still, it is kind of a DVD-ROM that contains data formatted to look to the machine like an HD-DVD, of course all DVDs are kind of a DVD-ROM of sorts. Oops, better stop now, Josh could be lurking.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-11-06, 01:36 PM

I have a list of some sites I have collected from other threads:

http://www.genesysdtp.com/
http://effectuality.com/
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...lickid=leftnav
http://www.sleevetown.com/index.php

Can anyone else input to what cases they are buying and where they are buying them? I need a reliable seller that sells quality cases.

Thanks for the replies.

To Matt:
I am located in the USA. Thanks for the response.

To Mike:
Thanks for your response about Bags Unlimited.

Last edited by bullgates; 12-11-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-11-06, 10:23 PM

Not the highest quality but if you're looking for a good deal, Shop4Tech has a 10% off coupon that is stackable with the Google Checkout $10 off $30 promotion.

10% off coupon code (XMAS10)

Link: Shop4Tech DVD Cases
Old 12-12-06, 01:43 AM

Hey Boku,

I saw the deal earlier with GCO $10 off so you got 25 cases for 21 cents shipped. I was sort of skeptical about the quality so I didn't order. I suppose I should have for 21 cents. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Last edited by bullgates; 12-12-06 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Shop4Tech cases are cheapos - probably not what you're looking for. Stick with Amarays. They are the best cases you can buy. All the sites you listed are good as well as Bags Unlimited (which Mike already mentioned). Personally I prefer ordering from Sleeve City since they shrink wrap the cases in bundles which prevents a lot of the scuffing that occurs during shipping. I like my cases clean and pristine. For multi-disc cases go for the VERSApaks (also part of the Nexpak family as is Amaray). They're about the best for 4-10 disc cases.
Old 12-13-06, 11:05 AM

don't be afraid to try amazon.com.

i found some pretty good deals on stuff i couldn't find elsewhere. at least have look.
Old 12-14-06, 02:55 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by joliom
The Shop4Tech cases are cheapos - probably not what you're looking for. Stick with Amarays. They are the best cases you can buy. All the sites you listed are good as well as Bags Unlimited (which Mike already mentioned). Personally I prefer ordering from Sleeve City since they shrink wrap the cases in bundles which prevents a lot of the scuffing that occurs during shipping. I like my cases clean and pristine. For multi-disc cases go for the VERSApaks (also part of the Nexpak family as is Amaray). They're about the best for 4-10 disc cases.
That brings up a good point. I've never ordered from Sleeve City, but I will tell you that Bags Unlimited is not super-careful when it comes to shipping. I've not had anything severely damaged, but their packaging philosophy can sometimes seem that if it fits in the box, go ahead and ship it. I'd try both if I were you, but my first order with either one wouldn't be a huge one that would be a hassle to re-order. B.U. is really good about fixing problems, but I'm with joliom, I wish they were a little bit more concerned with preventing them.
Old 12-14-06, 09:54 PM

Any good places (B&M or not) to buy keepcases in quantities of 1 or 2? I don't really need 10 at a time.
Old 12-14-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can buy single-sized Amaray cases from Sleeve City in quantities of 1 or 2. For some cases the minimum order is 10, but with those it's only 1. They also have penny samples of the Amaray II cases. You can add up to 2 samples to any order.
Old 12-14-06, 11:17 PM

What are Amaray II cases? Are those the single-thickness cases with a "flap" inside to hold a second disc?
Old 12-15-06, 03:20 PM
Bye

If you need 1 or 2 at a time, you might want to look around for "freebie" DVDs, or perhaps buy recordable media that's already packaged in keepcases (although that's only a viable option if you need the recordable media inside). Bags Unlimited lets you order in quantities as low as 5 if that helps.

Another thing I'd suggest is to check out the "Free DVDs" thread in the Bargains forum. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute offers some free programs on DVD, and most of them come in a keepcase, sometimes a 2-disc one. They limit you to three copies of each program, and there's about a dozen different ones that are in a keepcase. If you just need a few cases, it's worth a shot.
Old 12-19-06, 12:26 AM

Quality DVD Cases?

I just purchased 50 DVD cases (single disk) for .44 each! Try usp.com (united plastic). Hope this helps.