DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   Dvd's that have spines that form some sort of image (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/472382-dvds-have-spines-form-some-sort-image.html)

dizzlle01 07-23-06 02:23 AM

Dvd's that have spines that form some sort of image

I searched but couldn't find a thread on this and would like to start a thread on this so people here on dvdtalk, who is into the spine connections can have an idea on whats released that form a image. I will update this list as people reply to this thread. The one i know of are

TV Series
-He-man and the Masters of the Universes TV series
-She- Ra (coming out sometime later this year)
-The Red Dwarf series
-The whole 2003 year of WWE PPV's form a spine image..
-The Farscape (Starburst) DVDs does.

Movies
-A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection
-The Beatles Anthology
-Old Rocky Collection
-Dragon's Lair
-Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (which came AFTER Space Ace)
-Space Ace(Note: for the last 3 titles you have to keep them in the order in which they come in the package, which is chronologically incorrect:)

Mikael79 07-23-06 02:38 AM

The Red Dwarf series fits the bill.

Rockmjd23 07-23-06 02:55 AM

There were some WWE dvds that made spine images a few years ago.

Sabrett 07-23-06 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
There were some WWE dvds that made spine images a few years ago.

The whole 2003 year of WWE PPV's form a spine image..

DeputyDave 07-23-06 03:35 AM

I thought the old Rocky collection formed a picture (I'll have to check when I get home), I know the new collection doesn't.

Drexl 07-23-06 03:50 AM

The Beatles Anthology does, if it's not turned to the side with the box's image showing.

Kevin Phillips 07-23-06 06:49 AM

The Farscape (Starburst) DVDs does.

Numes 07-23-06 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I thought the old Rocky collection formed a picture (I'll have to check when I get home), I know the new collection doesn't.

I can confirmed that the old Rocky collection forms a picture.

Mike Adams 07-23-06 11:25 AM

Digital Leisure put out a 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition boxed set of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and Dragon's Lair 2, but in order to keep the image of Dirk the Daring intact, you have to keep them in the order in which they come in the package, which is chronologically incorrect:

Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (which came AFTER Space Ace)
Space Ace

Zman 07-23-06 11:35 AM

buffy and angel do, I think

Sabrett 07-23-06 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zman
buffy and angel do, I think

Not in Region 1, they don't...

AOD 07-23-06 08:45 PM

Each season of Stargate SG-1 box sets. the top of the spines form part of the gate.

ThatGuamGuy 07-23-06 08:58 PM

The old (30th Anniversary?) 'Billy Jack' set. I don't think the new 35th Anniversary set does.

John*D 07-23-06 09:34 PM

Stargate: SG1

JasonF 07-23-06 09:43 PM

Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace are video games, not movies.

J-Dubya 07-23-06 10:33 PM

Maxim magazines

Drexl 07-24-06 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Dragon's Lair/Dragon's Lair II/Space Ace are video games, not movies.

Well, they do play on a standard DVD player. They're really more interactive movies than games.

Michael Corvin 07-24-06 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this and would like to start a thread on this so people here on dvdtalk, who is into the spine connections can have an idea on whats released that form a image. I will update this list as people reply to this thread. The one i know of are

I believe the term you are looking for is Spanning Spine Image. :) Most of my tv collection is comprised of them.

http://twilightzone.home.insightbb.com/collection.jpg
http://twilightzone.home.insightbb.com/collection5.jpg

JasonF 07-24-06 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, they do play on a standard DVD player. They're really more interactive movies than games.

Agreed (I own them and shelve them with my DVDs) -- I was just pointing out for the OP, who has them categorized as movies.

JasonF 07-24-06 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I believe the term you are looking for is Spanning Spine Image. :) Most of my tv collection is comprised of them.

http://twilightzone.home.insightbb.com/collection.jpg
http://twilightzone.home.insightbb.com/collection5.jpg

Are those custom covers? Or non-R1 versions? And what's that one in the lower right of the second picture? Seinfeld?

Michael Corvin 07-24-06 09:48 AM

Yep. Seinfeld. They are custom for R1. I designed the Cheers, Seinfeld, and Lost ones.

The later seasons of Cheers and Seinfeld that haven't been released are empty. I just printed out the spines as placeholders.

Other TV customs I've done include South Park, Arrested Development, Charlie Brown, The Office (BBC & US), Undeclared, Mad About You, Curb Your Enthusiasm & Looney Tunes: Golden Collections to name a few. :lol:

JasonF 07-24-06 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. Seinfeld. They are custom for R1. I designed the Cheers, Seinfeld, and Lost ones.

The later seasons of Cheers and Seinfeld that haven't been released are empty. I just printed out the spines as placeholders.

Other TV customs I've done include South Park, Arrested Development, Charlie Brown, The Office (BBC & US), Undeclared, Mad About You, Curb Your Enthusiasm & Looney Tunes: Golden Collections to name a few. :lol:

But not Friends, apparently. ;)

I must say that I find your custom covers to be incredibly awesome. Well done! But I echo the question others have asked -- what will you do if Lost goes longer than 3 seasons!?

Tha Freak 07-24-06 01:22 PM

the X-file one is quite nice!!

is it also custom?

canaryfarmer 07-24-06 01:44 PM

Michael C, you might find this interesting and somewhat helpful in regards to further LOST customs:

From the LOST Comic-Con panel:

"Lost was intended to be a 4-5 season arch ending with a feature length movie. Damon Lindelof said that they are still planning on sticking to that plan but it's hard because the show is a hit now. But they don't want the show to end up like the X-files. They don't want to finish that main story line in season five and then have to "tap dance" for two seasons because the network doesn't want the show to end. He mentioned that when that time comes they may have to consider walking from the show."

lordwow 07-24-06 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Michael C, you might find this interesting and somewhat helpful in regards to further LOST customs:

From the LOST Comic-Con panel:

"Lost was intended to be a 4-5 season arch ending with a feature length movie. Damon Lindelof said that they are still planning on sticking to that plan but it's hard because the show is a hit now. But they don't want the show to end up like the X-files. They don't want to finish that main story line in season five and then have to "tap dance" for two seasons because the network doesn't want the show to end. He mentioned that when that time comes they may have to consider walking from the show."

Not to drag this topic any further... off-topic... but I can definately see where they're coming from. The couple of shows I've considered developing all have definitive storylines (as in, not making it up as you go along, but a known beginning and end), and I think this is one of the greatest downfalls of some TV shows (many TV shows don't require this though and work well without it, like sitcoms, ands dramas like Law and Order). But any Serial should be written with some idea of the overreaching story arcs. The problems come in two forms though: The studios either cancelling the show before the arc can be completed, or extending past it's prime (X-Files) just for revenue. Or an actor/actress leaving the show can cripple your storylines as well.

It's an interesting discussion though.