Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive List of DVDs That Have Had Their Cover Art Changed

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 03:28 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of several DVDs that have had their cover art changed with no change to the disc contents within; as a fan of original art, I try to avoid these repressings like the plague. I thought it might be a cool idea to catalogue all such affected titles if there are any DVDTalkers that share my concern. The ones I've thought of so far are:

DEAD AGAIN
ESCAPE FROM L.A.
GATTACA
THE FAN [1996]
48 HRS.
ANOTHER 48 HRS.
Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN
MONEY TRAIN
John Carpenter's STARMAN

Last edited by Filmmaker; 06-10-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-10-06, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I know of several DVDs that have had their cover art changed with no change to the disc contents within; ....
GATTACA
Unfortunately, the update of Gattaca's cover came with the removal of the Widescreen side (the disc is full screen-only), so that doesn't fall under the "no change" guideline (although it would certainly fall under "no improvement."). I'm pretty sure this is true of The Fan as well.

Based on what I've seen when browsing around for the DDD sale, 3 Days of the Condor and The Hot Spot have had cover updates (although not on the DDD site) without changes to the disc.

If I remember correctly, Daylight and Dante's Peak fall under this category as well.
Old 06-11-06, 07:40 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
You're right--I've been careless; I meant the "no changes" as an indication that neither a new transfer, nor new bonus materials, had been created--it was the same material disc as the first pressing, though yes, on the Columbia/Tri-Star titles (GATTACA, THE FAN [1996], Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN, MONEY TRAIN and John Carpenter's STARMAN), that does mean removal of the widescreen side; sorry, to be unclear, and thanks for adding DAYLIGHT and DANTE'S PEAK...now that you've reminded me of Universal cover changes, let's add in Spielberg's 1941.
Old 06-11-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the Paramount cover changes listed http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=460967
Old 06-11-06, 04:44 PM
Banned

Wow, thanks, abintra!

Updated 6/11/06:

200 CIGARETTES
3 DAYS OF THE CONDOR
48 HRS.
ANOTHER 48 HRS.
BLESS THE CHILD
BRINGING OUT THE DEAD
CHINATOWN
CONGO
THE COURT JESTER
DANTE'S PEAK
DAYLIGHT
DEAD AGAIN
DEATH WISH
DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE
ELECTION
THE ELEPHANT MAN
ESCAPE FROM L.A.
THE FAN [1996]
FLASHBACK
Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN
GATTACA
THE GIFT
Stephen King's GRAVEYARD SHIFT
HARDBALL
HARD RAIN
HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH
INTERNAL AFFAIRS
JENNIFER 8
LUCKY NUMBERS
MONEY TRAIN
MOTHER
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
NECESSARY ROUGHNESS
NICK OF TIME
NIGHT FALLS OF MANHATTAN
ORDINARY PEOPLE
THE PARALLAX VIEW
PET SEMATARY 2
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM
PROPHECY
THE RELIC
ROSEMARY'S BABY
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
Stephen King's SILVER BULLET
SLEEPY HOLLOW
John Carpenter's STARMAN
TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE
THE TEMP
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
TRUE COLORS
THE TWO JAKES
VARSITY BLUES
THE WOOD
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

Wow, what a mixed back of Paramount updated artwork; some of them (like TERMS OF ENDEARMENT and TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE) are true improvements over the original DVD artwork, while others (such as THE ELEPHANT MAN and the Stephen King films) are just utterly hideous. A few (like SLEEPY HOLLOW) are so similar to the original DVD artwork, it makes one wonder why they bothered to make minute cosmetic changes...
Old 06-20-06, 02:34 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cover art alterations...

I've noticed that "The Great Outdoors" has had a cover art change as well. Also, I'm pretty sure the art for "Almost Heroes" has been changed slightly, in that it's a wider view and it looks like a painting more than a photo.

I haven't confirmed whether there was any change to the disc on either title, but I doubt it. I notice that both "48 Hrs." movies are listed as having no changes -- does that include the disc label?
Old 06-27-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Girl, Interrupted got another cover with Angelina Jolie's face more prominently displayed (Next to Winona Ryder instead of in the corner).

Not that it matters now because of the SE, but the original edition of The Deer Hunter got another cover: it was red with a deer in shadow or something like that.

Regarding the Columbia titles, some of those already had the widescreen sides dropped before the cover art was changed. I've seen several copies of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with the original art but a fullscreen-only transfer. There are also cases where the art is changed before the widescreen side is dropped: my copy of Money Train from the $5.50 bin has the widescreen side, but it's the newer cover with Jennifer Lopez on it. So, changing the cover art on those titles and dropping the widescreen side don't always go hand in hand.

The Hole has had at least three different covers, with each one displaying Keira Knightley more prominently than the previous one. On the most recent one, (I think) Knightley is the only face on the cover, and just in case you don't recognize her, they have a critic's quote "Keira Knightley...gets more than a few pulses racing!"
Old 07-04-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
High School High also had a cover change, with the widescreen version dropped.