DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

So I have to remake a dvd cover for my class

Old 04-06-06, 12:21 AM

So I have to remake a dvd cover for my class

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7...emplate3mg.jpg

Critiques would be nice. I have six weeks to get this perfect.

Yeah I decided what if American History X had a Criterion. Like how would it look?
Old 04-06-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me tell you this. Better than anything I can do, haahaha. No, really, it's pretty nice. Perfect that thing!
Old 04-06-06, 12:41 AM

I like it!!

I like your cover alot ,, the only thing might change is the fact you can tell alot by the cover . The fact you can see he is a skin head might turn some people of already or turn them on to the movie .
I love the color and the font of the cover ,
Give it a B+
Old 04-06-06, 12:49 AM

Well, I don't mind the empty space but the Norton's picture needs to blend better. It sticks out too much that it seems out of place rather than part of the design. It might be more powerful to have just the word and no pictures at all. And why don't you try making the Nazi symbol as the X word. Making the symbol more prominent. That's just another idea - simple and really focus on that symbol.

Also, my preference, I hate it when words get cut off. It almost always looks like a bad crop job then design.

And for the back cover, try making the "X" little more bigger and have it more as a background image, so other texts will go over the "X" too. Having just one line go over the "X" and the whole layout seem off balance somehow.

well, hopefully I have been helpful and gave you some ideas. Don't get offended, its just my opinion.
Old 04-06-06, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by animefan
Well, I don't mind the empty space but the Norton's picture needs to blend better. It sticks out too much that it seems out of place rather than part of the design. It might be more powerful to have just the word and no pictures at all. And why don't you try making the Nazi symbol as the X word. Making the symbol more prominent. That's just another idea - simple and really focus on that symbol.

Also, my preference, I hate it when words get cut off. It almost always looks like a bad crop job then design.

And for the back cover, try making the "X" little more bigger and have it more as a background image, so other texts will go over the "X" too. Having just one line go over the "X" and the whole layout seem off balance somehow.

well, hopefully I have been helpful and gave you some ideas. Don't get offended, its just my opinion.

No, not offended at all. Like I'll be offended if someone lies to me instead of telling the truth.

I played around with the swastika as an X for the front cover but I just got lazy and didn't save it. I loved the idea of just text on the front but my teacher wants an image on it.

As for the back, again, I got lazy and just didn't play around more but I'll definitely play more with making the X bigger. The back to me seems rather boring.

Tibor, I see your point, I'll try to find a better picture I guess and see what I can do. This image just caught my attention and I thought it looked dramatic as soon as I popped this in my dvd player and saw it again.

Thanks for open critiques. Much needed for class and what not.
Old 04-06-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd use a higher-definition version of the same picture of Derek, and maybe I'd put one or two pictures on the back. Maybe an even better shot, like one of him with his arms behind his back, smirking.

Also, the big "X" on the front? A nice idea, but I don't think it works well. The point is to show how Derek's change in views, and this is shown by the negative of his "pure white" skin, is it? This feeds into the figure of white Derek, alone against a big, black background? If so, I appreciate the attempt, but I think the "X" is aesthetically ugly. I wonder would a pure red "X" work better.

I like the spine, though I think white against black would be more uniform with the rest of the cover.

I also wonder why you have decided to do a Criterion cover. I wonder would it be more challenging (for your class project) to do a cover that fits the guidelines of a Paramount cover, or some Sony "Mega-cheesy title edition"? If you are insistant in doing a Criterion cover, I would be more artistic in my composition of the cover. I think your cover is lovely, very striking, but I can't help but think a Criterion would look like more work went into it.

My version of your cover design would be like this:

ALso, why not incorporate the beautiful poster art?

Lastly, I might ask to have this thread moved to the covers and cases forum. Talk to Michael Corvin, he'd know a lot more about custom covers then anyone...

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 04-06-06 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would have made out to be a great April Fool's prank. Seriously though, an image on the back would be icing on the cake. Perhaps a row of lights on a dark street as a background or a subtle B&W photo of either Norton and/or Furlong on the bottom left of the X.

edit-looks like Donnachaone beat me to it. Nice touches.
Old 04-06-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not bad at all, especially if it's your first time making a custom DVD cover. I would try a white version as well...

Last edited by DarthVong; 04-06-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the original cover a ton......i do like donnach's....whatever his name is...two small pictures on the back of the dvd cover, even more! (but not a fan of the red).
Old 04-06-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The title text on the spine is too close to the top - it's almost chopped off. You could move the "American" closer to "History" on the spine - there seems to be more spacing between those words than on the front cover.

More specs on the back?
Things like: Region Code logo, audio matrix icon, Closed-Captioning Icon, Movie Rating icon, aspect ratio icon, Credits! - but maybe Criterion discs don't have all those things...

The UPC should fit within the Criterion catalogue range of numbers.
Does it need an ISBN number?

Special Features list, you should indent the "Enhanced for widescreen televisions" somehow to align with the other bulleted features.

Special Features list, it has mixed capitalization of words.
Old 04-06-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I couldn't do something like this...great job!
Old 04-06-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I would have done one with one of those stupid edition names, such as "Curb Stomp Edition."
Old 04-06-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
The title text on the spine is too close to the top - it's almost chopped off. You could move the "American" closer to "History" on the spine - there seems to be more spacing between those words than on the front cover.

More specs on the back?
Things like: Region Code logo, audio matrix icon, Closed-Captioning Icon, Movie Rating icon, aspect ratio icon, Credits! - but maybe Criterion discs don't have all those things...

The UPC should fit within the Criterion catalogue range of numbers.
Does it need an ISBN number?

Special Features list, you should indent the "Enhanced for widescreen televisions" somehow to align with the other bulleted features.

Special Features list, it has mixed capitalization of words.

Haven't seen you around in awhile. Do you still make covers?
Old 04-06-06, 09:33 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
It's beautiful, stark, austere work...a commendable job...the only negative I can't shake is that I really dislike where the "X" is on the cover--it crowds Edward Norton and makes the bottom right hand corner of the image look wholly unbalanced (rather than simply contrasted) with the upper left hand corner's dead space.
Old 04-06-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not bad for a first attempt. In all honesty though, it is still lacking. The front image doesn't work. All it is, is a B&W image slapped on a black background. It takes more than that too look like a Criterion. Most Criterions are very creative with the artwork and this doesn't emit "criterion" at all other than the name and line under it. Even the simple B&W criterion's are creative in the use of the image.

It is in desperate need of some images on the back or at least a better use of space, and the splash of color Donnach added works well. Credits aren't required but with such a blank back it appears they are needed, along with all the studio logos.

Check out my

South Park: Criterion Collection

covers if you haven't already. Granted I designed mine to mimic existing covers, but the backs are layed out just like their counterparts. So if anything there are 9 samples for ideas.
Old 04-06-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Haven't seen you around in awhile. Do you still make covers?
Yes I do. Here's my cover site Doombear's covers

I spend most of my time at MaDVD, or whatever it's called today. I finally finished my Phantasm covers.

(sorry to interrupt on your thread Celpacius)
Old 04-06-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice Flipper,

I love your MetalStorm, Spacehunter, and Dungeon Master customs. And good to know there are fans of Hawk the Slayer! Good work.

Are those available for download anywhere?
Old 05-13-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Celpacius, what were the final results?