DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   i change my mind. i miss the snapper now (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/449223-i-change-my-mind-i-miss-snapper-now.html)

mikvin 12-18-05 02:18 PM

i change my mind. i miss the snapper now

i was with everyone else and i used to HATE HATE HATE snapper cases and would actually avoid buying a dvd unless it was in an amaray case. for some reason i caved in and bought a dvd that was in a snapper case and now i seek them out. i love them now for some reason. maybe its the fact that they've stopped making new dvds with snapper cases. i can't really put a finger on what has changed my mind. now i wish they would make all dvd's in snapper cases.

i mean if you take care of them they won't get messed up. no worries about missing insert because they are on the inside of the cover. don't have to worry about shrink wrap sticking to case when opening dvd. don't have to worry about amaray cases being scratched up.

i'm sure i'm probably alone here, but i thought i'd ask: am i alone?

bring back the snapper!

Joe Molotov 12-18-05 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikvin
am i alone?

Yes.

mongoco 12-18-05 02:24 PM

The Office Season 1 (US version) is in a amaray case with snapper locks. Like a weird hybrid case.

I know people like slipcovers here but I don't. Waste of paper and takes longer to get the dvd out of the box.

mikvin 12-18-05 02:29 PM

i don't like slipcovers. every single store i would by a dvd that has a slipcover puts their price stickers right on them and then it doesn't come off completely because there is no shrinkwrap on the slipcase. annoying.

thanks joe molotov for speaking for everyone...

maybe i like them now because nobody likes them and they are almost dvd retro.

illennium 12-18-05 02:30 PM

I don't like cardboard cases of any kind. They're too easily damaged and thus almost impossible to find used in decent condition.

slavetotherave 12-18-05 02:51 PM

When I bought In The Mouth Of Madness it was in a snapper, and I guess it'd been sitting on the shelf long enough for the security sticker on the side to molecularly adhere to the artwork, so when I peeled it (carefully, I might add) it still took a nice sized rip off the back. Grrr...

Anyways, at least in snappers the DVD is easy to remove. What I hate are the 2 disc special cases with the clear plastic DVD holders. Sure it looks nice, but often times they put the long skinny security device UNDER the clear holder and right on the cardboard picture. Also, sometimes those things are nearly impossible to remove the DVD. I feel like I'm either about to break the spindle or the DVD when trying to push the thing down.

Any case that isn't easily replacable is annoying to me, though.

dx23 12-18-05 03:17 PM

maybe i like them now because nobody likes them and they are almost dvd retro.
:wtf:

Snappers are one of the worst ideas for packaging DVDs. They damage easily and don't hold more than one disc. And liking them now because nobody else likes them, puts you in the same level as Hot Topic 13 year old wannabe rebels. If you want a retro DVD packaging, then go buy Dracula in the CD Jewel Case. :nopanic:

renaldow 12-18-05 03:17 PM

I've never minded the snapper.

Altimus Prime 12-18-05 11:33 PM

I've gotta say, I've bought several new DVDs that were damaged in some way - such as scratches, scuffs, fingerprints, etc. But NONE of them have been in snappers. All of my snapper discs have been A-OK.

And I'm pretty sure all of the snapper cases I've bought are blessed with raised spindles that actually keep the surface of the disc from touching the case. What is with producing a case that has the disc touching the case, almost guaranteeing damage of some kind?

As I see it, the main problem with the snapper is putting a long-life media like a DVD inside a short-life package made of cardboard. Was it for some environmental reason? Kind reminds me of when we went through that phase with CDs where jewel cases were replaced with folding cardboard cases. Glad they went away.

Drexl 12-19-05 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
As I see it, the main problem with the snapper is putting a long-life media like a DVD inside a short-life package made of cardboard.

So the disc has the long-life? Try telling that to someone who's had a WAMO disc rot. The snapper case the disc was in was probably in good shape when the disc became unplayable. :)

nightmaster 12-19-05 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
I've never minded the snapper.

Nor I, and I'm sure I have several scattered throughout my collection as I've been buying DVDs for 6 years at this point. I definitely prefer the amaray case but my snappers don't seem to be wearing away or eroding at all. I can definitely see the usefulness of a snapper over a cardboard slipcover....to me it seems akin to baseball cards and comic books as an obvious attraction for collectors- the Sin City and Reservoir Dogs cases made that even more obvious. Slipcovers that allow the user to remove the plastic amaray case from the side are okay, but the ones that slip over the DVD cases seem useless.

renaldow 12-19-05 09:16 AM

Yeah, now that you mention it, time has flown 5-6 years down the road and I don't see anything bad having happened to any of my snappers. They still look as good as new. So much for the naysayers!

reverie 12-19-05 11:40 AM

:down: to any case that I can't buy a replacement to!

Alan Smithee 12-19-05 08:31 PM

The current trend of putting naked slipcovers OUTSIDE the friggin' shrinkwrap is something I despise MORE than the biggest hater of snapper cases! I HAVE passed on several titles because the store had price tags or other crap stuck to them; ones I've really wanted that come this way I've bought online, but others I just decided weren't worth paying more for so I've just done without them.

I never hated the snapper covers until they started putting the "Security Device Enclosed" stickers over the top and sides- those are impossible to get open without messing them up.

ShallowHal 12-20-05 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The current trend of putting naked slipcovers OUTSIDE the friggin' shrinkwrap is something I despise MORE than the biggest hater of snapper cases! I HAVE passed on several titles because the store had price tags or other crap stuck to them;

If you carefully remove the sticker, just use WD40 and an old tshirt or cotton rag to get the adhesive off. It doesn't take long at all. :)

BTW mikvin, I may have some snappers you want. Email me and I'll let you know what I've got available.