DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Any reviews of Meritline mega 510 (or higher) DVD cases?

Old 10-19-05, 05:41 PM
Cool New Member

Any reviews of Meritline mega 510 (or higher) DVD cases?

I want to know if anyone here has experience with these Meritline mega DVD cases? A few posts on past threads have briefly discussed these cases, but I am hoping to hear whether any users have experienced scratches or other damage on their DVDs. How durable are the hanging sleeves? Are the Case Logic binders higher quality/more scratch resistant? This seems to me like a great, safe way to move a large (400-500) DVD collection without using a lot of room for cardboard boxes.

http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-510-...ck-ehj510.html
Old 10-19-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just curious, what would you do with all the individual DVD cases?
Old 10-19-05, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by renaldow
Just curious, what would you do with all the individual DVD cases?

I'd pack them up in boxes and put them in the "pod" with the rest of my possessions during my move from the Twin Cities to D.C., rather than pack all the DVD cases in boxes and storing them in the trunk of my car.

Using something like the Meritline case just seems easier and a hell of a lot less stressful. I'm just concerned about whether the pages will cause any scratching on my discs. Although there is a definite minority that claim to have suffered damage, most people who use Case Logic binders assert that they've never really had any substantial problems with scratched DVDs. If these Meritline cases aren't as reliable as Case Logic, then it makes sense to go with the latter. But the Meritlines would be cheaper.

And they look cool.
Old 10-20-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

doesn't make sense to use one of those for moving... I mean, you're gonna move the boxes/packaging too... is it that you're afraid of losing the boxing, or you can't wait for the Pod to get there, or what? To me, the packaging/boxes are a vital part of my movies, I don't think I could ever just stuff all my discs into a wallet and chunk the boxes.
Old 10-20-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I havent used this one but I have used similiar sleeves for taking DVD's on travel (Staples Brand) and never had a problem with scratches. I use them to take usually 6 DVD's on travel without the cases. I also have a Case Logic Binder and its nice for long vacations and such because it has a place for the insert, makes browsing for a movie a little easier.

The meritlines are double disc holders which would be good if you are also going to take the bonus disc from 2-Disc sets. The case logic's are setup for one disc per movie.
Old 10-22-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered the 1000 disc version to test out, so I'll let you know how it is when I get it.
Old 10-22-05, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ShagMan
doesn't make sense to use one of those for moving... I mean, you're gonna move the boxes/packaging too...
The case would go w/ them in the car and the packaging goes in the POD. Right?
Old 10-22-05, 10:27 PM

Don't have a review on them, but I gotta say thanks for pointing it out.

That thing (1000) is exactly what I need. Ordering one soon!
Old 10-23-05, 02:50 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered two of the 510-disc cases, as that was cheaper than getting one 1000-disc case. I'll let you all know how they are once they arrive. From what I found on a Google search, people have been very pleased!

(And thanks to the poster above who clarified my plans...I appreciate the help! I guess I didn't make myself clear.)
Old 10-23-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The customer review on the site said the most discs he could fit into one of the four rows on the 1000-discer was 225, not 250, so I'll have to see if that's true. He still liked the case anyway.
Old 06-19-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*Major Bump*

So, now that is has almost been two years. What did you guys think of the cases? I am thinking of moving my collection into one of these binders and I am curious of what you thought of them
Old 08-20-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After finding some DVDs in the sleeves/folders were getting thin scratches I decided to give these boxes from Meritline a try. So far I have about five of them, a couple 510, a 600, a 800 and 900 (which really holds 1000).

Cons:

1. I cannot find replacement hanging sleeves cheap. It's cheaper in most cases to buy a brand new box.
2. The big ones are REALLY heavy when full. 1000 DVDs plus case is hard to lift.

Pros

1. Not a single scratch yet.
2. PERFECT for cataloging and easy access to DVDs when combined with a program like DVDProfiler. That's what I use and by lettering each case, I am able to find any film in my collection in under a minute. That is amazing when you've got a few thousand discs.

And I've been sending my DVD cases to recycling with inserts because I just don't need them anymore. All the paperwork is scanned into the computer. Now I'm free to buy the Caseless DVDs without the annoying "MUST HAVE COMPLETE" monkey on my back. That's another pro since they are cheap and I'm moving towards a clutter-free lifestyle. As a longtime pack rat, it's utterly liberating.

Last edited by TheV; 08-20-08 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just for grins I orders a few of the 510 cases from Supermediastore. They were little over $30. The cases are better IMHO than the Meritline. The problem came when I started putting the discs into the sleeves. The sleeves are way too tight so they caused the plastic to warp and very, very thin scratches to be rubbed into the disc. Totally unacceptable for an archival case, so I'm returning them and going back to Meritline.