DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   Constructive criticism for this Batman Begins custom (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/441971-constructive-criticism-batman-begins-custom.html)

aukevin 10-18-05 03:46 PM

Constructive criticism for this Batman Begins custom

Hey guys, I don't make too many custom covers, but I wanted to make this one. I don't really like the original artwork for either of the Batman Begins releases, so I tried my hand at a custom. I searched the net for other customs but I couldn't find one that put together everything I wanted. So I took a lot of ideas from others and found some screen shots at ign.com and made this.

I like it pretty well. The part I don't like, and maybe it is just a font issue, but I'm not happy with the movie description on the back. I just typed up what is on the back of the official release. I like the wording, but it just doesn't fit I don't think. Like I said, maybe it is a font thing.

As for the spine, I was inspired by another poster here, Mikko, to do my own spine project like he has done and posted here. So that is why the spine looks the way it does, because it matches the format for my other DVD spines.

Anyway, any suggestions? Here's a reduced version of it, hopefully the thumbnail link works. Thanks! :)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/947...uced27l.th.jpg

dick_grayson 10-18-05 03:52 PM

looks great :up:

Rogue588 10-18-05 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
looks great :up:

Except for Ebert's quote...

dick_grayson 10-18-05 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588

yeah, that is kinda weak

aukevin 10-18-05 04:35 PM

The one that says "The Batman movie I've been waiting for" ? It looks kinda of jaggy I guess, is that what you mean? I took it from somewhere else, is it better just to retype those things?

EDIT: I tried just typing the blurb myself and uploaded a new jpg.

gryffinmaster 10-18-05 05:41 PM

Haven't been truly tempted to print a cover from the net until I saw this little gem. Nice work. Might actually use it!

aukevin 10-18-05 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Haven't been truly tempted to print a cover from the net until I saw this little gem. Nice work. Might actually use it!

If you do, let me know and I'll email you a link to a full scale pic of it so you have better resolution. Thanks :)

Rogue588 10-18-05 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by aukevin
The one that says "The Batman movie I've been waiting for" ? It looks kinda of jaggy I guess, is that what you mean? I took it from somewhere else, is it better just to retype those things?

EDIT: I tried just typing the blurb myself and uploaded a new jpg.

Oh no. It shouldn't be there at all. Like many in this subforum, I can't stand floating heads. However, I loathe critic's quotes..

aukevin 10-19-05 07:13 AM

Oh no. It shouldn't be there at all. Like many in this subforum, I can't stand floating heads. However, I loathe critic's quotes..

Oh ok. I don't mind quotes that much. I thought that area of the back cover needed something, so I threw that on there. Thanks. :)

reverie 10-19-05 08:24 AM

Very nice! I'm tossed up on if I like the straight-up blocks on the back of four pictures, but no immediate thoughts on something different. But that's a very minor thing.. great job!

krypton 10-23-05 12:34 PM

I like the overall cover. One thing: The movie description on the back seems misplaced. Not sure what it is exactly, the margin or the empty space it creates above. Try increasing the margins on the side to increase the number of lines. Also leave more space betweent the movie plot description and the picture blocks

kakihara1 10-24-05 10:25 AM

The Custom cover community hates all quotes and UPCs so if you like em keep em;) I think you've done a nice job on this cover.

aukevin 10-24-05 10:45 AM

yeah I don't mind quotes if they aren't distracting, which I don't feel they are.

I like the overall cover. One thing: The movie description on the back seems misplaced. Not sure what it is exactly, the margin or the empty space it creates above. Try increasing the margins on the side to increase the number of lines. Also leave more space betweent the movie plot description and the picture blocks
yeah I think my main problem with covers is how to align the text. Another cover I made recently has the same problem. I use Gimp to make these covers (pretty good free tool), I think its text creating functions are a little lacking. I could just be missing something though.

Thanks for the comments :)

Admiral7 10-24-05 03:26 PM

I think the cover looks great. I don't much care for the "One of the Year's Best Films" quote on the front cover, although I don't mind quotes on the back. Not sure about the HUGE picture blocks on the back, but the artwork is great and well used and it looks very professional. I like your cover more than the official one, for sure. NICE JOB!

reubs82 10-25-05 07:24 PM

Very nicely done. I don't use custom covers, but I sure do like this one.

Willh51 10-27-05 08:33 PM

Maybe add "widescreen" somewhere.

Ric Easton 10-29-05 12:16 AM

Looks good. I don't usually like or use quotes but this one looks ok. If you put widescreen or aspect ratio info on it, just add it to the back, I hate those big widescreen banners on the front covers

gryffinmaster 11-06-05 03:54 PM

Hey, I'm going to print a test to see how this cover looks. Can you post the full size address?