DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   The Official Snapper To Keepcase List (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/424985-official-snapper-keepcase-list.html)

runnersdialzero 06-01-05 09:11 AM

The Official Snapper To Keepcase List

This is my official list of DVDs that were originally in snappers and are now sold in keepcases. This does NOT include movies like Rebel Without A Cause or GoodFellas which was a 1 disc snapper and is now a 2 disc keepcase. Almost all of these are the exact same release, just a different case. This also does not include movies that were never released in a snapper like Dial M For Murder or Terminator 3.
Please E-mail me if you see a release that has been converted.

Warner Brothers

Ace Ventura-When Nature Calls
The Big Sleep
Blade Runner
Calamity Jane
A Christmas Story (Single Disc)
Christmas Vacation
Dark Passage
Father of the Bride
For Me and My Gal
Full Metal Jacket
High Sierra
Giant
The Goonies
Gremlins
Key Largo
Mildred Pierce
Mister Roberts
My Dog Skip
North By Northwest
Now, Voyager
Papillon
They Drive by Night
The Thin Man
To Have and Have Not
Where Eagles Dare
Wildcats
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Witches of Eastwick

New Line Cinema

Above the Rim
American History X
Austin Powers - International Man of Mystery
Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me
Bed of Roses
Blade
Blast From the Past
Boiler Room
Bones
The Cell
Deep Cover
Detroit Rock City
Don Juan DeMarco
Dumb and Dumber
8 Seconds
Final Destination
Frequency
Friday
I Am Sam
In Love and War
Last Man Standing
The Lawnmower Man
Life As A House
Little Nicky
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Lost in Space
Love and Basketball
The Mask
Menace II Society
Money Talks
Mortal Kombat
Most Wanted
Next Friday
A Nightmare on Elm Street (Red Cover)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
The Players Club
Pleasantville
Rush Hour
Set It Off
Seven (1 Disc)
The Wedding Singer

Paramount

Grease
Saturday Night Fever

Columbia/TriStar

Taxi Driver

Hollywood Video / Blockbuster Video ONLY

The Adventures of Pluto Nash
Amelie
The Animatrix
Back To the Future
Back To the Future 2
Back To the Future 3
City By the Sea
The Color Purple
Death To Smoochy
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
Dreamcatcher
E.T.-The Extra-Terrestrial
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Heist
Insomnia
Jackie Brown
Love Don't Cost A Thing
The Majestic
Matchstick Men
A Mighty Wind
Moulin Rouge
Murder By Numbers
Mystic River
Ocean's Eleven
Panic Room
Pulp Fiction
Punch-Drunk Love
The Royal Tenenbaums
Saw
Schindler's List
Shade
Showtime
Swordfish
Training Day
White Oleander
Welcome To Collinwood

Artisan / Live Entertainment

Chaplin
Madonna - Truth or Dare
Reservoir Dogs
The Running Man
Young Guns

darkhawk 06-01-05 11:09 AM

New Lines' "I Am Sam", "Set It Off"
Warner Bros.' "Papillon", "The Getaway"

are now in a keepcases

Set it off I found at Walmart

littlefuzzy 06-03-05 12:59 AM

Here is a thread with a few more mentioned...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393173

I think you should include titles that have been upgraded to a special edition or 2-disc set, as they are replacing the old version with a much better version.

darkhawk 06-03-05 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Here is a thread with a few more mentioned...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393173

I think you should include titles that have been upgraded to a special edition or 2-disc set, as they are replacing the old version with a much better version.

That's just a thread asking if anyone quit buying snapper and what everyone is waiting for. That's not a list of what's out.

I do agree with you that upgrades to 2-disc Special Editions sould be included on the list. After all, it's not in a snapper anymore.

This thread has more listed:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404513

bboisvert 06-03-05 08:24 AM

I respectfully disagree. :)

Then, this thread becomes more about upgraded DVDs rather than upgraded cases. It's definitely handy to have a thread/list of DVDs where the only difference is the type of case... and including new SEs just waters that down.

runnersdialzero 06-03-05 11:03 AM

Thank you bboisvert!

That's why I created this thread. I knew there was already a thread dealing with snapper to keepcases but it involved DVDs that were never in snappers to begin with.

Saxon

Seashellz 06-03-05 01:53 PM

Oliver Stones HEAVEN and EARTH (Warners)

runnersdialzero 06-03-05 03:31 PM

If at all possible, please post pictures if you have the chance. Anything on my list, I have seen with my own two eyes.

Saxon

J.P.V. 06-03-05 05:26 PM

These 2 are now in keepcases, from that Warner's Battlefront Europe box set.

Dirty Dozen, The
Where Eagles Dare

Jean Paul

raining_helper 06-03-05 09:00 PM

Dark City is available in a keepcase for sure in Canada at least:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cityamaray.jpg

Bcolon 06-03-05 10:29 PM

Nightmare on Elm Street is now in a keepcase. I have seen it in mumerous places like BB, Target, and WM.

Dabaomb 06-03-05 10:38 PM

Giant SE in the James Dean Boxset is in a keepcase....it was previously in a digipak.

runnersdialzero 06-08-05 09:47 AM

Added some New Line titles. Anyone have pics of Nightmare on Elm Street in keepcase?

Saxon

tdilia 06-08-05 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Giant SE in the James Dean Boxset is in a keepcase....it was previously in a digipak.

I was just thinking the same thing about Giant, mine is in a digipak. Also Grease and Saturday Night Fever when were these two titles in snapper cases???

bboisvert 06-08-05 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tdilia
I was just thinking the same thing about Giant, mine is in a digipak. Also Grease and Saturday Night Fever when were these two titles in snapper cases???

They were both originally (and inexplicably) released in a thin (and cheap looking) cardboard/digipack-type case. Then, after about 6 months or so, they started showing up in a more traditional keepcase.

bboisvert 06-08-05 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
Anyone have pics of Nightmare on Elm Street in keepcase?

... and are the sequels also being converted over to keepcase?

digitalfreaknyc 06-08-05 10:35 AM

Are we sure about Life As a House? I got it at blockbuster and it was the same snapper used elsewhere.

runnersdialzero 06-08-05 11:22 AM

As far as I know, Life As A House has not been released by New Line in a keepcase but you can get it in a keepcase at Hollywood Video only.

Saxon

runnersdialzero 06-13-05 09:14 PM

Added some New Line titles. I wonder why they haven't switched over The Cell, Pleasantville, Dark City, Hurlyburly, Deconstructing Harry, The Player, Shine, or Wag the Dog.

Still need pics of Nightmare on Elm Street. I've been to Best Buy and WalMart and still have not seen it in a keepcase.

Saxon

ENDContra 06-13-05 09:22 PM

I agree as long as its a seperate section...ie, I want to know whats exactly the same except being in a keep case, and what was rereleased in a keepcase SE (Rebel With a Cause, Miss Congeniality, etc).

Also, The Mask keepcase version is an SE. North by Northwest by Warner is not an SE, but the keepcase version has a few different features than the original snapper.

As far as Matchstick Men on the HV/BBV only list, I have the 2-disc DVD/CD soundtrack which came in a keepcase at all retail stores for a short period of time...not sure if this should go on the list.

Bcolon 06-13-05 09:35 PM

Added some New Line titles. I wonder why they haven't switched over The Cell, Pleasantville, Dark City, Hurlyburly, Deconstructing Harry, The Player, Shine, or Wag the Dog.

Still need pics of Nightmare on Elm Street. I've been to Best Buy and WalMart and still have not seen it in a keepcase.

Saxon

Truely, I'm not playing games. The first Nightmare on Elm Street is now available in a keepcase. Someone in the similar companion thread to this one has also seen it. Do you really need to see something for it to be true? If I was a newbie, be sceptical, but I've been around this place since 1999.

In answer to why some of the titles you have mentioned are not in a keepcase, I would guess that it is based on popularity of a title and the amount of back stock NewLine has. If you look at the list of converts, it is some of NewLines most popular catalog titles and movies that have had recent sequels that have caused an increase in demand for the original movie. Out of your list, I would guess that Dark City and The Cell would be the next to pop up somewhere in a keepcase.

Also, don't forget Pump up the Volume, Detroit Rock City, Drop Dead Gorgeous, and Sugar and Spice among others.

Skoobooz 06-13-05 09:52 PM

Not that corrorboration is needed, but I've also seen Nightmare on Elm Street in a keepcase at Wal-Mart.

DVD King 06-13-05 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by raining_helper
Dark City is available in a keepcase for sure in Canada at least:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cityamaray.jpg

Anyone seen this in the US?

Skoobooz 06-13-05 10:11 PM

Actually, if you look at Pleasantville on Amazon, it looks like a keepcase:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Mr.Briggs 06-13-05 10:39 PM

Are they changing all UPC when changing to a keep case. I've still got a lot of sealed snappers from last year's DDD 20% off sale (BIG order) & if they had the same UPC I could probably swap 'em at Wal Mart when the keep cases start arriving. If they change the UPCs though they usually remove the old ones from their system & you can't exchange them.

chileorgullo 06-13-05 10:41 PM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1

I think it was probably one of the first NL conversions

runnersdialzero 06-14-05 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
I agree as long as its a seperate section...ie, I want to know whats exactly the same except being in a keep case, and what was rereleased in a keepcase SE (Rebel With a Cause, Miss Congeniality, etc).

Also, The Mask keepcase version is an SE. North by Northwest by Warner is not an SE, but the keepcase version has a few different features than the original snapper.

As far as Matchstick Men on the HV/BBV only list, I have the 2-disc DVD/CD soundtrack which came in a keepcase at all retail stores for a short period of time...not sure if this should go on the list.

That's wrong I believe. Nothing has changed about North By Northwest. The Mask SE is in a keepcase but they also converted the original before going to the SE. You're right about Matchstick Men as well. But it's a special edition so I don't count that as a upgrade from a snapper.

Also, I'm not saying everyone is lying about A Nightmare on Elm Street. I believe you. I just wish I could find it. Plus, it is just the first one that's in a keepcase or is it the entire box set?

Saxon

darkhawk 06-14-05 09:17 AM

Over in the bargains section, the Walmart $4.88 titles, someone listed that they found the Mortal Kombat movies in keepcases

ENDContra 06-14-05 12:03 PM

I noticed Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is being re-released on 6/21 (price drop maybe?). The picture on Amazon.com of the widescreen version is a keepcase (full screen picture is a snapper). Not sure if theres anything to that or not.

runnersdialzero 06-14-05 01:09 PM

OK, finally saw A Nightmare on Elm Street in a keepcase. Not that I didn't believe you guys. ;) But it doesn't look like they'll rerelease the box set in keepcases.

Added The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Saxon

darkhawk 06-14-05 02:29 PM

OK, finally saw A Nightmare on Elm Street in a keepcase. Not that I didn't believe you guys. ;) But it doesn't look like they'll rerelease the box set in keepcases.

Added The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Saxon

Where did you found The Long Kiss Goodnight?

At Walmart I just found The Player's Club.

Skoobooz 06-14-05 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
I noticed Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is being re-released on 6/21 (price drop maybe?). The picture on Amazon.com of the widescreen version is a keepcase (full screen picture is a snapper). Not sure if theres anything to that or not.

It is actually a change of case for both versions (wide and full) being released on the 21st.

runnersdialzero 06-14-05 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Where did you found The Long Kiss Goodnight?

At Walmart I just found The Player's Club.

The Long Kiss Goodnight was at Wal-Mart. They have a new stand that's only Warner Brothers and New Line titles. It was in there.

Saxon

feral125 06-14-05 10:50 PM

I found Deep Cover at Walmart in a keepcase it was in the $4.88 rack.

darkhawk 06-15-05 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by feral125
I found Deep Cover at Walmart in a keepcase it was in the $4.88 rack.

Already listed at the thread's begining

feral125 06-15-05 01:29 PM

The First release of Reservoir Dogs was a Snapper. Grease and Saturday Night Fever were Digipacks Not Snappers. So, technically they don't count.

runnersdialzero 06-15-05 02:10 PM

Good catch Feral.

Wasn't Chaplin and a couple other movies from Live Entertainment original snappers before Artisan bought them and converted them to keepcases?

I included Saturday Night Fever and Grease because single disc digipaks are just as much a abomination as snappers.

Saxon

bboisvert 06-15-05 02:45 PM

Wasn't Chaplin and a couple other movies from Live Entertainment original snappers before Artisan bought them and converted them to keepcases?

Yeah, good point. Chaplin definitely was... as were the original (non-SE) editions of Total Recall and Running Man. Probably a few others. Live/Artisan switched to keepcases pretty darn early in the game.

RoboDad 06-15-05 02:57 PM

I included Saturday Night Fever and Grease because single disc digipaks are just as much a abomination as snappers.

That may be, but the fact is that there was never a change from one case to the other. Both case styles were available the very first day that both movies were released. It just depended on which retailer you purchased them from. I know this because I purchased Grease on its release date, and mine is in a keepcase.

runnersdialzero 06-15-05 03:00 PM

I thought the only place you could buy Grease in a keepcase was Sam's. I could be wrong. Either way, I'll keep it on there since most people bought it as digipak.

Saxon