DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   My DVD inserts are missing! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/379138-my-dvd-inserts-missing.html)

tedkolb 08-09-04 07:54 AM

My DVD inserts are missing!

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of opening up brand new $20 DVD's with nothing more than a single disc inside.

I can deal with the fact that some titles just aren't going to be very popular and studios are trying to save every penny they can or their saving the printing costs for the better, faster, stronger edition coming out soon. What really chaps my A$$ is when I purchase the B.F.S. edition and it still doesn't have any printed inserts.

Can anyone confirm that their copy of either Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary Edition or Star Trek VI: The Undiscoverd Country Special Collectors Edition is missing any inserts whatsoever?

I have the other 5 Star Trek Special Editions and they all had a folded insert inside.

And yes, I realize the important aspect of any DVD purchase is the actual disc content but I also value good packaging details.

The Infidel 08-09-04 08:11 AM

Blazing Saddles 30th...no insert. Good ol' Warner. They release a movie in a keep case instead of the crappy cardboard snapper, but they just can't seem to spring for a lousy piece of paper. MGM is another company notorious for not putting inserts in the case, although a few of their titles I own do have them.

Shagrath 08-09-04 09:09 AM

Am I the only person who doesn't give a rat's ass about an insert? It's the disc and the contents on the disc that I care about. Of course, this doesn't mean I want my dvds to come in paper bags, but what the hell is so important about an insert? Just curious.

DVD Josh 08-09-04 09:15 AM

Originally posted by The_Infidel
Blazing Saddles 30th...no insert. Good ol' Warner. They release a movie in a keep case instead of the crappy cardboard snapper, but they just can't seem to spring for a lousy piece of paper. MGM is another company notorious for not putting inserts in the case, although a few of their titles I own do have them.
That's right - it's a lousy piece of paper. I'll never understand why some folks care more about it than the content of the disc.

The Infidel 08-09-04 09:25 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
That's right - it's a lousy piece of paper. I'll never understand why some folks care more about it than the content of the disc.
I hope by quoting me you weren't grouping me in with people who get all inflamed about the insert thing. I was just answering tedkolb's question about inserts. For the most part, I don't give a royal rat's rectum either.

Tedkolb said at the end of his post that he realizes the most important aspect of a purchase is the content of the disc itself. He didn't say he cared more about one than the other, so why pick on him?

Have a great day. :)

Ginwen 08-09-04 09:26 AM

My feelings exactly.

Plus, look up there ^

A whole forum called DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts. Good place for this question, I'd think.

RobCA 08-09-04 09:28 AM

I'll never understand why some folks care more about it than the content of the disc.
Has anyone ever actually said they care more about the insert than the content of the disc?

Rob

Yakuza Bengoshi 08-09-04 09:29 AM

:rolleyes: You can't actually point to a single post where someone has expressed the positition that they care more about an insert than they do the content of the disc can you?

Ginwen 08-09-04 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
:rolleyes: You can't actually point to a single post where someone has expressed the positition that they care more about an insert than they do the content of the disc can you?
OK, you're probably right (although some people have gotten pretty irate about it). I guess what I find hard to imagine is caring at all. But I have stuff I care about you guys would think was nuts too, so no big deal.

Still, there is a forum for these questions, and since people who go in that forum DO care about this sort of thing, you get much less smartass responses if you post them there (I assume, never been there myself).

DVD Polizei 08-09-04 09:44 AM

Make. Your. Own. :up:

Seriously. The best way to get the most from your movies, is making your own inserts. I'm sure there are templates for doing so or if you're Photoshop saavy, you could make a few. :)

The Infidel 08-09-04 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Ginwen
Still, there is a forum for these questions, and since people who go in that forum DO care about this sort of thing, you get much less smartass responses if you post them there (I assume, never been there myself).
Why give a smartass response in the first place? That's my point. I really hate to see people get crapped on for expressing a feeling or opinion.

billy9215 08-09-04 09:54 AM

Re: My DVD inserts are missing!

Originally posted by tedkolb
Is it just me
Yes

Stop buying DVD's would be the solution.

gutwrencher 08-09-04 11:08 AM

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of opening up brand new $20 DVD's with nothing more than a single disc inside.
no...yer not alone.

as for myself...I'm starting to like not getting a worthless waste of paper. as I've said many times over the last 3 years....it gives me the chance to make a worthy booklet of info myself....which beats a one-sheet of chapter stops. now if they give me a collectible booklet with info and pics...great! if not...it's "custom" time...which I prefer.I like adding write-ups, both positive and negative....and special tidbits of information that would otherwise be left out. they may not be pretty....but it's the information I want...not a sexy looking foldout with nothing but the same pic thats on the cover!

tedkolb 08-09-04 05:58 PM

Interesting responses.

First of all, Thanks for chiming in so quickly with your responses.

I certainly don't prefer inserts over a good DVD production of valuable extras and high quality video and audio (after all, I certainly didn't purchase top notch A/V equipment to sit back and enjoy reading the inserts).

My point is simply that I appreciate and value a well packaged Special, Collectors, Ultimate etc... Edition of the movies I purchase. I would think any collector of DVD's experiences an extra bit of satisfaction in opening say the new D-Day 60th Anniversary Edition of Saving Private Ryan with the 20+ page Commemorative Album. Or how about the new Good, Bad and Ugly Special Edition with the high gloss 6 page insert and the 5 miniature foreign movie posters.

Of course these inserts would be worthless without a great film tranfer and remastered audio but they do enhance my feelings of purchase satisfaction and will likely get me to consider another purchase from the same studio.

I started this thread to vent my frustration with what I perceive to be an underhanded trend with studios cost cutting when it comes time to sell the public on a new version of a movie they may already have in their collection.

I quess the only way to avoid these situations is to consult the DVDtalk forums for up to date info about the latest DVD releases.

Happy Collecting!