DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts-35/)
-   -   Getting cases from Hollywood or Blockbuster (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-covers-cases-inserts/324164-getting-cases-hollywood-blockbuster.html)

collven 10-16-03 01:55 AM

Getting cases from Hollywood or Blockbuster

I'm thinking about hitting up some of the rental places near me for replacement cases. How should I go about asking for them? Should I offer to pay for them or just see if they are getting ready to throw some away?
If I can't get any from them, what's the best deal going now for cases?

duz 10-16-03 06:42 PM

Just ask them if they have any cases they are going to throw away. If they try to get rid of you just go thru their dumpster tuesday night.
As for buying cases, I get my singles from my dvd-r supplier since they have special price combos.

flipn408 10-18-03 09:01 PM

Save yourself the indignity by purchasing them at your local Target or Wal Mart.

groovrbaby 10-19-03 12:42 AM

Hell no, man, just go late tuesday, round 9-10 and typically the bag full of cases and inserts is right on the top of the damn pile. I got 30 cases 2 weeks ago...and about 25 italian job inserts...for free...and no one saw me.

indignity, my ass

duz 10-19-03 01:39 AM

Dumpster diving is a fine tradition anyone should be proud of partaking in. Just don't go in any dumpsters at a diner, ug.

Bru 10-23-03 07:38 AM

dont ask BB cause they will say no and then start locking the dumpster if they already dont do so. I have yet to actually dive, open the door and the bag (like someone already said) is right on top on tuedays. he is correct. I have been doing this for a while and they are all new!!!! my bag had 300 or so with alot of inserts and many double cases. as well I found xbox and ps2 games.

Leedguitar 10-31-03 03:38 PM

I just walk into my local BlockBuster and ask if they have any cases that they are going to throw away. They usually get pretty happy because they don't have to deal with the walk to the dumpster. I usually get about 100 at a time this way. Works out nicely. =)

BuddyRevell 12-08-03 06:26 PM

funny i found this thread. My blockbuster are a bunch of "non giving you the cases we're gonna throw away anyways" bastards. Im thinking of making "The Dive". But are you guys SURE that it's on Tuesdays?? Why Tuesday? Do they lock there dumpster after they close? Or do I have to go during 9-10 when their still open?

worrywort 12-08-03 07:03 PM

danol?

DarthVong 12-08-03 07:12 PM

Long Live "the Dive"

Dragonslayer 12-09-03 01:14 PM

Nice way to get free keepcases as long as you don't get arrested by the local Police. :)

duz 12-09-03 06:30 PM

Trash is public property, the only thing you could get arrested for is trespassing if the dumpster is fenced in.

Angel Pagan 12-09-03 10:52 PM

I'm sure they get the DVDs before street date. Wouldn't they discard the cases before Tuesday?

Me007gold 12-14-03 05:03 PM

no, thats not how they do it, they transfer out cases when they transfer dvds to prp, they take the insert out of the old case and put it in the rental case so it can be displayed and locked on the shelf, usualy its tuesday night cuz they do all the pulls on monday

Dagon 12-15-03 01:14 PM

Sounds like I may be diving in the near future :P

apemanttt 12-23-03 04:27 PM

Do some blockbusters not do this? I had two in town which told me they don't. Today's Tuesday though and I'm going to check it out.

rayovac 01-01-04 02:14 PM

Their new pitch in my BB neighborhood is 8 or 10 for a $1, I got a few doubles in medium blue for nothing, but had to pay for the extra cases which I am running short on already. This DSL makes dowloading fast, use to take about 17 minutes on a dialup but no more for $11 bucks a month more. I just hate wearing rubber gloves when refilling ink cartriges which is TFO!

jayson1017 01-08-04 04:02 PM

I hate the cases from Blockbuster.

Artman 01-22-04 02:47 PM

Awesome!! I got a big bag from BB a few wks ago. Even better it was the wk of FVJ, so I got a few dozen double-disc cases. Sweet!!

Third time was the charm in this case. First BB I checked said they didnt give em out, and HV looked at me as if I was from another planet.

calale5 01-22-04 07:06 PM

I just scored well over 250 empty cases from Blockbuster. I just went in and asked the girl behind the counter if I could pick some up the next time they were tossing them She said to come back Wednesday morning and she'd have a bag. She had 2 HUGE bags full of them for me. I thanked her and tipped her a $20 for her trouble. The only question I have is; WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH 25 PINK CASES?

DarthVong 01-22-04 09:28 PM

Originally posted by calale5
I just scored well over 250 empty cases from Blockbuster. I just went in and asked the girl behind the counter if I could pick some up the next time they were tossing them She said to come back Wednesday morning and she'd have a bag. She had 2 HUGE bags full of them for me. I thanked her and tipped her a $20 for her trouble. The only question I have is; WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH 25 PINK CASES?
Nice score!

Use the pink ones for your "other" DVDs.....;)

neo2600 02-04-04 02:48 PM

Originally posted by calale5
The only question I have is; WHAT THE HELL DO I DO WITH 25 PINK CASES?
LMAO!

millafan 02-15-04 02:34 PM

i work at blockbuster and we usually have no problem handing em out. always take around 20-30 home with me every so often in case i need em. Ive seen boxes of em, probably 200-400 thrown away at one time, so just keep hitting up those video stores!!!!!!

DEC29111 02-16-04 11:35 AM

"Snappers"??

Do any of you dumpster divers come accross any snappers??

I sure would like to find a few to replace a few that I have with broken hubs...

--David

millafan 02-16-04 04:22 PM

snappers arent usually tossed, they usually save the cases for when they sell the movie as Previously Viewed. But, you never know what you'll find when you dive into those dumpsters.