Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Best/Worst DVD packaging (merged)

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Best/Worst DVD packaging (merged)

Old 04-17-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTR Extended for worst. although they look great the cases are very flimsey.... the last 2 dvds in my ROTK were loose because the tabs were broken. the way its set up there is no way to repair the case. It would have been better if they changed it by putting standard cases inside the 'book' cover.
Old 04-17-05, 10:40 PM

For Me, One of the worst would be The Jetsons - Season 1. I take the case out of the plastic cover and then I try to put it back but the cover rips. I don't know if the other cartoon shows are like this too like The Flintstones.
Old 05-06-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Clerks X
ET Ultimate Edition
Extended Editions of LOTR
Old 02-05-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a new one that fits both the worst and best .. and it's a damn shame I tell ya ..

M*A*S*H - Martinis and Medicine Complete Collection

I absolutely dig the packaging, design and the display factor. The bundling of the 36 disks is also very nice with the fold out sleeves. .. but it also turns out to be the worst part.

After pulling out the very first disk of season 1 I noticed tiny scratches on the DVD. I'm already thinking .. shit!! I knew what I was getting into before buying the set, but I just had to have it even with the possibility of this. And yeah, I checked out a couple more disks and well .. same thing.

So the DVDs are not going back into the case, period. I'll buy some generic packing for storage but really .. wtf!!? Cardboard on plastic!?? What would be wrong with digitpack foldouts?? Not like they haven't been used before?

I don't know, seems silly for the $180 price tag it's fetching.

Well, at least it's still my favorite TV series ever, so I suppose it's a minor compromise ...
Old 02-05-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NIGHT OF THE COMET (worst). Not the worst packaging ever, but it's pretty bad.
Old 02-05-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If I had to go with the worst, I would also choose the really slim digipack style cases for films like Grease and Panic Room. They're really just not stable enough. Legend is also a flimsy piece of garbage.

For best packaging though, I'd probably also have to go with something like Band Of Brothers or the LOTR EE's. I'm also very partial to my Get Smart box set... where the end looks like a steel door and then a phone booth as you open it up. The DVD packaging for the individual seasons ain't bad either. Could be that I'm just very partial to Get Smart, though.
Old 02-05-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

.. and my favorite region 1 release.

Hot Japanese women with blades, intent to kill and pink vinyl!!! What more could a guy want!?
Old 02-06-07, 05:28 AM

Best packaging in my collection: A three-way tie between Apocalypse Now: TCD, Saving Private Ryan 60th Ann. Edition (with the snap locker), or the "Creating Gollum" disc that came with my TTT gift set (houses book inside faux hand-drawn keepcase.

Worst packaging: The Alien Quadrilogy. Aside from the ugly smudges and marks it's acquired over the past three years, the packaging is ugly as hell, and I find myself extending the damn thing way out to get at disc 1 of Alien. The T2 Ultimate Edition is pretty bad too, because the keepcase won't be snug inside the metal case unless you put the book in alongside it, causing the pages to get scuffed.

I see a lot of digipaks nowadays, so even though I own all the LOTR films, they don't do anything for me. My personal favorite "regular packaging" is any DVD that comes with a scrapbook (Jaws, Seven Samurai). That sort of thing.

Last edited by crazyrabbits; 02-06-07 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-06-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q

Hot Japanese women with blades, intent to kill and pink vinyl!!! What more could a guy want!?
I love the packaging too. Just a warning that some of those pics aren't work safe.
Old 02-06-07, 07:03 AM

Worst packaging of all time is the new, extended Peter Jackson KING KONG. I hate to say it, but that was an insulting offering of one of the best movies of the past 5 years. It made me sad.

Best packaging is ROME season one. Handsome as all hell, with sharp, tight corners, and feels like an actual art object. Very classy, very worth it's price.
Old 02-06-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

worst - West Wing complete series. The outside box is very nice, but inside the discs are all jammed into flimsy cardboard foldouts.
Old 02-06-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Best:

Pearl Harbor: 60th Commemorative Edition. "Classy stuff".
Sleepaway Camp: Survival Kit. "Have the Red Cross version...looks great."
Twin Peaks: Season 1. "great cover art, perfect for the series."

Worst:
Memento LE. "Afraid to even open it again, almost as annoying as the menus on the film."
Veronica Mars (both seasons). "Half hubs inside, so beware. You have to lift one disc to get to the next."
Old 02-06-07, 03:06 PM

Best- Rome
Curb Your Enthusiasm 1-5

Worst
Alien Quad (enormous, but it is better than overlapping the discs)
Simpsons 'head packaging'
Reservoir Dogs 'gasoline can'
Old 02-06-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These are by no means the best, but I do like the slipcovers that Reds and the new Scarface come in. Very classy looking. I'd rather take the dvd out of a side slipcase as opposed to removing it from the top or bottom. The ones with the side out seem to be more sturdy.

Not so good: Cinderella Man 2-disc. Yeah, great set, but poorly designed case. The flipper disc sets on the front hub, which is okay, except for the fact that the giant booklet and photos slide around on top, causing major scratches. Luckily, I already had the 1-disc release, which is the same flipper, to compensate for such a horribly conceived design.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 02-06-07 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
I think the makers of the Sliders season sets deserve a special commendation for crappy packaging. The first set (already mentioned in this thread) does a couple things wrong. It's way too bulky for the number of DVDs you get. And the DVDs are "floating" sideways in a foam holder, and are extremely sensitive to getting knocked about and damaged if you move the case about. For the next DVD set of Sliders, the company must've heard the complaints, because they went with a completely different design. Amazingly, this new set manages to suck in a completely different way. The DVDs are packed very tightly into a plastic case that springs shut if you're not holding the case with 2 hands. Which essentially makes it a 2-man operation to get any DVDs out without damaging them.
Old 02-06-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Best: Planet of the Apes Ultimate Collection w/ Ape head
Runner up: Rome

Worst: The Punisher:Extended Cut
Old 08-16-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I am going to add some to this list and get it going again:

-Taxi Driver 2-disc
-King Kong 3-disc
-Halloween Night
Old 08-17-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ Was coming here to say the same thing.

Taxi Driver new 2-disc SE is crap packaging.
Hello studios? What the hell is wrong with normal keepcase releases? The first idea is usually the best idea, stick with it.
Old 08-17-07, 09:30 AM

The latest incarnation of Ichi the Killer is both the best and worst in one package. . .
Old 08-17-07, 11:23 AM

holy crap this is an old thread.
Old 08-17-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q

good set, I wish the binding was a little stronger though

For bad there is always
Old 08-17-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
good set, I wish the binding was a little stronger though
Thankfully I haven't had a problem with it yet. Though I've heard there are some issues with the glue used to seal the hubs to the vinyl case. And it would have been nice if the book was removable .. but what can ya do?

New one to add ..

Tin case, excellent cover art, six disc digi-foldout pack. .. and a brilliant series of films!!

The downside .. metal and paper don't mix.
Old 08-26-07, 08:01 PM

I'm surprised someone didn't like the Veronica Mars packaging. Yeah it's a little annoying having discs stacked that way, but it's not as though several other releases haven't done this... and the design of the box/booklet is pretty neat and fits the show fairly well.

Strangers With Candy- The complete series is cool in theory, but the "binder" packaging is flimsy, and the Velcro that holds it together falls off because of the "glue" they used when making it.

I also hate CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM... The design is neat, and could have worked, but 3 of my sets have trouble closing all the way and sometimes that little "paper" that pulls the two trays out snags and starts to tear. I don't blame myself because I take pretty much excellent care of my sets and nobody else uses them... it's just not very durable.
Old 09-18-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as cool factor:
-Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection
-Evil Dead I & II BOTD editions
-Scarface Giftset
-Schindler's List Giftset
-WB Creative Design Art SEs

Best Ease of Use while looking cool:
-Band of Brothers
-Deep Space Nine Seasons Sets

Worst Looking:
-Any cover art especially the old snapper's that made the movie look incredibly cheesy, like Excalibur.
Old 09-18-07, 07:50 AM

I like all of the Deadwood packaging, the books all close snuggly and the dvds arent hard to get out, mine havnt gotten scratched at all, plus it just looks good

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.