From the Earth to the Moon

Old 07-28-04, 04:02 PM

From the Earth to the Moon

Just got a coupld of quick question about this set. Does it come in widescreen format or only fullscreen? And there seems to be two release dates for the dvd (98 and 02). Is there any difference between the different releases. I noticed that some places show the set with a silver cover and others with a black cover.

I've never seen it and I've heard lots of excellent reviews for this miniseries so I'm going to pick me up a copy of it this week.

Thanks
Old 07-28-04, 04:07 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It only comes in fullscreen, which is the original aspect ratio. Trying to remember what it looks like at home, I think the outer box is silver and the inner package is black. That may be why you've seen covers in both colors.
Old 07-28-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What Jim said. This originally aired in 4:3.

The packaging is a fold-out Digipak with the black artwork and color logo. The outer sleeve looks like brushed metal (it's actually cardboard), with the logo embossed.

There have been no changes to the set. The 2002 date was simply a price reduction (although not a big enough one considering how long this has been out).
Old 07-28-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice set. A little dry in places though. I remember being in Florida when Tom Hanks was there filming the series. We were hoping to catch a glimpse of him but no luck.
Old 07-28-04, 07:39 PM

Just watched this on tv last week. Didn't think it was dry at all. Missed episode 1, loved the Al Bean episode.

The only episode I'd consider disappointing was the Apollo 13 one. I guess they wanted to avoid everything covered in the film, but concentrating on the media just didn't seem to fit the rest of the series.
Old 07-28-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought they shrunk the set by a couple of discs upon the re-release. Am I wrong?
Old 07-29-04, 03:42 AM
Banned

When I read that the first release was in '98, I thought that must be some mistake. But then I remembered that I watched a couple of episodes of the DVD when I was visiting my old college during high school (5+ years ago). Still a good series, though.
Old 07-29-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I thought they shrunk the set by a couple of discs upon the re-release. Am I wrong?
You're wrong. As I wrote above, there have been zero changes to the set. It has always been four discs --- three discs containing the series, with a disc of extras.
Old 07-29-04, 10:24 AM

Outter slip cover is silver, inner folding DVD case is Black.

Great disk set. You'll love it. While you're at it get the Right Stuff too.
Old 07-29-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is as good as it gets - great set that stands up to repeat viewings.
Old 07-29-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MrVette99

Don't forget For All Mankind (Criterion)
Old 07-29-04, 11:45 AM

Just don't buy the Chinese version of this set that is constantly being sold on Ebay. Those are dups that come on 6 discs (each original copied to 2 single sided DVR disks) and no cd rom bonus disc.

I got fooled into buying this and felt like an idiot. First the menus were completely hosed because the discs were split in two. Second I noticed the sound track in some places was not in sync (very annoying) and 3rd, the bonus cd/rom disc was ommited along with the discs having bogus art covers.
Old 07-29-04, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by MrVette99
Outter slip cover is silver, inner folding DVD case is Black.

The Right Stuff is also incoming. And I have For All Mankind at the top of my want list. Thanks for all the replies
Old 07-29-04, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Husker
Just don't buy the Chinese version of this set that is constantly being sold on Ebay. Those are dups that come on 6 discs (each original copied to 2 single sided DVR disks) and no cd rom bonus disc.
I made sure it wasn't...there's soooo many bootlegs of the set though. I guess that means it's a popular set though
Old 07-29-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Husker
and no cd rom bonus disc.
Just to be clear: The bonus disc is a DVD, with behind-the-scenes ducumentaries as well as DVD-ROM content. It is NOT a CD-ROM.
Old 07-29-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its a great set but the box it came in is falling apart. The plastic trays are lose from the cardboard, and the outer sleeve has come unglued at the seem. I guess its too be expected when its 6 years old, but I havent had any other cases give me the same kind of problems. Eventually Ill get a large keep case for it and download a cover from somewhere, but until then its just sitting on the shelf falling apart