DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What makes a DVD worth owning? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/377184-what-makes-dvd-worth-owning.html)

donald gregory 07-28-04 12:54 PM

What makes a DVD worth owning?

what's everyones criteria for making a dvd worth owning?

For me, it has to be a movie with rewatchability (like Office Space, Billy Madison for two comedy examples)

Or it has to have some really good special features that I enjoy. 'Once Upon a Time in Mexco' is a good example, as I didn't particularly care for the movie.

Your opinion?

Abranut 07-28-04 12:57 PM

Re: What makes a DVD worth owning?

Originally posted by donald gregory
For me, it has to be a movie with rewatchability (like Office Space, Billy Madison for two comedy examples)

That's the main factor for me, followed by cost to purchase versus cost to rent (sometimes factoring in potential late fees), and finally availability (having a region free dvd player, owning is the only option on some of my international titles).

Josh H 07-28-04 12:57 PM

Movie with rewatchability with a good transfer and sound mix.

I don't care about anything else. I'm not going to buy a movie I won't rewatch multiple times just because it has good extras and I'm not going to pass on a movie I love because it's bare bones (as long as the audio and video are up to par).

eisenreich 07-28-04 01:01 PM

1. Rewatchability
2. Sound/Picture Transfer
3. Extra Features (Commentary, Featurettes, etc.)

I buy most of my DVDs used, so price usually isn't much of a concern.

asianxcore 07-28-04 01:02 PM

I have to like the movie and it has to be rewatchable. Definately the 2 most important things. I am not going to spend a bunch of money on a movie that I don't see myself watching more than once.

gutwrencher 07-28-04 01:37 PM

I'm building a library...not just a collection. therefore....my reasons are confusing to most, so I'll end it there.:D

Mole177 07-28-04 01:40 PM

i like to see them in the masses.

Bacon 07-28-04 01:44 PM

1. taste
2. the movie itself
3 a/v quality
4 price
5 extras

sexymama 07-28-04 01:48 PM

As long as I know I'll want to watch it again and again and again, I'll buy it...

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't care about anything else. I'm not going to buy a movie I won't rewatch multiple times just because it has good extras and I'm not going to pass on a movie I love because it's bare bones (as long as the audio and video are up to par).
My sentiments exactly... what can I say, great minds think alike? :)

Dabaomb 07-28-04 02:04 PM

well obviously the ones with the coolest covers ;)

wendersfan 07-28-04 02:33 PM

1. Rewatchability
2. A good transfer
3. Potential future avaliability

An explanation for #3: I don't mean collectability, what I mean is, how readily will I be able to rent this movie in the future? For example, I don't own FOTR, not because I don't like it or wouldn't want to watch it in the future, but because a) I can rent it anywhere, and b) if I ever decide to buy it, I probably will be able to find a copy in most stores for the forseeable future.

duy37 07-28-04 02:44 PM

i like to buy any mainstream dvds mostly recent releases, occasionally i'll get indies or old catalog titles

money is no object.

but if it was then I'll have to have seen it first before buying, then if i feel as if i could truly rewatch over and over then i would buy it

SideShow 07-28-04 02:49 PM

Is there a cute shirtless guy in it? If so, I'm buying it!

Besides that, the ones I own would be a movie I enjoy (or think I'll enjoy) and am pretty sure I will rewatch. However, if it's a movie I like but am not 100% on owning, sometimes extras like commentary or a documentary will decide if I purchase or rent it.

But I'll buy a barebones disc if I love a movie, extras are great but I collect DVDs because I love movies (and some TV shows)

bjh_18 07-28-04 02:50 PM

For me, the main factor is if I like the movie or not. Even if I don't think I'll rewatch a dvd over and over again, if I liked the film, I'll pick up the dvd to have it. 21 Grams is a good example. Great movie (and I think the best film of last year), but it's not the kind of movie you pop in multiple times a year like Office Space.

But I'm also a collector, and so sometimes I'll pick up dvds just for the sake of having them. Take the Lord of the Rings movies for example. I really have a strong dislike for all three of the films, but I have the first two Extended Editions. Now granted, they were bought for me (because I wouldn't give up my own money for them), but I kept them because they are great examples of what dvds can be.

So rewatchability isn't really a factor for me. Even if I know I won't watch a movie much, if I like it, I'll pick it up.

Cocopugg 07-28-04 02:53 PM

rewatchability

DVDho78DTS 07-28-04 03:05 PM

I won't own a DVD just because of extras or the sound mix.

I will own a DVD if I enjoy the movie and it is rewatchable. I then check to see if the DVD has an anamorphic transfer if WS, a good sound mix, & a decent amount of extras.

I'm always tweaking my collection since I don't really care to own more than 130 movies at this point. The 130 isn't set in stone but I find it to be a good number to keep me inline so I don't go overboard. It's hard enough finding time to watch new movies much less those I already own.

pdjennings 07-28-04 03:24 PM

1) If I've seen the movie: Did I like it?

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it.

2) If I've not seen the movie: Does it look interesting?

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it. Perhaps look it up, read about it, see if interest grows. If it does, buy it. If not, don't buy it.

Easy as that.

Numanoid 07-28-04 03:44 PM

Originally posted by pdjennings

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it.

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it. Perhaps look it up, read about it, see if interest grows. If it does, buy it. If not, don't buy it.

Easy as that.

:up: Same here.

I'm amazed at people who go to the movies once a week or more, then wonder how I can spend $15 on a movie I may only watch once.

Dabaomb 07-28-04 04:02 PM

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it.

- If yes, buy it.

Easy as that.

:jawdrop:

PDJennings is BACK!!!!! C'mon, you're sooooo close to 3000. You can do it!!!!!!

nodeerforamonth 07-28-04 04:17 PM

extras

OldBoy 07-28-04 04:19 PM

good...movie...period!

drjay 07-28-04 04:23 PM

I'm with pdjennings. [Un]fortunately I don't have a collection even near his size. I also agree with gut..I'm going for a library here...like a 'rest of my life' kind of deal. I certainly won't be dumping DVDs when the next media format comes out, that's for sure. So buying a movie like Once Upon a Time in America, which I will only have time to sit down and watch once or twice a year (I refuse to watch half then postpone till the next day) is okay, since I've got 50 or 60 years to watch it plenty of times. Now DVD rot... -ohbfrank-

JimRochester 07-28-04 04:42 PM

I won't keep any movie I know I have no interest in seeing again. I buy most of mine used for <$10. Trade in value is $6. So I'll buy anything that seems intersting then sell what I don't want to watch again. The net cost was a rental with no return date and I'm sure someone else borrowed it because family borrows just about everything I own.

matome 07-28-04 04:45 PM

- If yes, buy it.
- If no, don't buy it.

- If yes, buy it.

Easy as that.

Yes.

fumanstan 07-28-04 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
1. taste
2. the movie itself
3 a/v quality
4 price
5 extras

What do they have to taste like? Chicken? :)