Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What makes a DVD worth owning?

What makes a DVD worth owning?

Old 07-28-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Whether I liked the film and whether I will rewatch the film.
Old 07-28-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has to have a great insert. No DVD is worth owning without a proper insert. LOL

Originally posted by fumanstan
What do they have to taste like? Chicken?
I've never tasted one myself, but occasionally I'll find a case that smells real yummy.
Old 07-28-04, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I like the movie I'll buy it. Period.
Old 07-28-04, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The movie
The features
The price
Old 07-28-04, 07:34 PM

I ask myself one question:
Does it have Steve Guttenberg in it?

If its something I'll watch over and over I'll buy it. Thats it. It doesn't matter if its bare bones or loaded with extras (I prefer extras of course).

Money is not an issue because I only spend maybe $200-300 on DVDs a year if that. I usually just get TV Sets and about half of those are gifts. I haven't bought a movie on DVD since UHF and Memento Limited Edition came out.
Old 07-28-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. the movie itself
2. cost (a whole lot cheaper than LD)
3. transfer quality (sound & picture)
4. Original Aspect Ratio
5. extra features
6. reason to quite drugs...
Old 07-28-04, 09:26 PM

Did you "quite" school also?
Sorry i couldn't resist

For me it's purely the movie and rewatchability, and of course i go for the best quality version of the dvd.

Ferret
Old 07-28-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oops, mah bad

me no english.... hot dog yes yes hamburger no no...
Old 07-28-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'm building a library...not just a collection. therefore....my reasons are confusing to most, so I'll end it there.
No, man, don't. I can't be the only one around here who enjoys reading Gut's posts about building the perfect library and all that. And I'm being sincere when I say that, odd as it may sound.

As for myself, it's all about the main feature for me. I'm not real picky about the picture or sound, as long as the visual element doesn't look like a bootleg tape or the audio part doesn't sound like it's being done under water.

The extras are great and when I see a semi-big title out there with little or no extras, I'm hesistant to buy it, since there's a good chance it'll get a better release soon. So, I guess, while extras aren't all that important to me, their inclusion on DVDs can affect my purchases, since I will hold off if it means getting a superior version later down the road.
Old 07-29-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie is why I buy, barebones, all the trimmings, whatever. Like others I'm building a library. In spite of alot of DVDers saying doomsday is coming and our DVDs will soon be obsolete/replaced, I'm buying with intentions on watching them over and over for years to come. Like tons of other people I'm switching my VHS collection over and after 4 years am pretty much done, expect for the few titles I love that have yet to make it to disc. I have NO desire or intention to make another switch anytime in the near future; some of the stuff I've switched over I had bought on VHS a decade ago and more. That said, I want to own all these great movies I have loved since childhood as well as new ones that come out in the present and future. I'm not looking at the sound options or whether or not it's anamorphic in order to make my decision. I'm looking at do I love the movie in order to make my decision. If I'm a huge fan of the movie I'm buying it. If I have little interest in it as a film I'm not going to spend my money on it no matter how many great extras, attributes, deleted scenes, commentaries or what have you are included. I prefer widescreen and will always buy widescreen if available, but if it's not available I take what I can get, which is still ten times better than what I had slapping a videotape in the player to watch. Ugh. I know lots of people disagree with that stance, but are you going to pass up one of maybe your five favorite movies of all time because they decided to release it in fullscreen instead of widescreen, knowing that they may never re-release that movie on disc again? The movie is the thing. The purists will say that it's not the movie as it was intended for me to see because its not in its theatrical format.....but they aren't going to be showing it in the theatres anymore so watching it at home is my only option to watch it again and again, regardless of the format the distributors deign to release it in.
Old 07-29-04, 03:18 AM

It has to have a spine number.

Seriously, of the movies I know: another vote for rewatchability, transfer & extras (esp. outtakes would be nice)

For blind buys, also the price (for example "GQ" for 9.99)
Old 07-29-04, 03:36 AM
Banned

What makes a DVD worth owning? For me, the film itself is usually the deciding factor, unless the transfer/audio is bad enough to be a deal-breaker.
Old 07-29-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the the movie/ actor/ director appeals to me, then i'd buy it for keeps & even upgrade whenever i can.