DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Star Trek DVD Recommendations? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/376654-star-trek-dvd-recommendations.html)

Daniel L 07-25-04 08:51 PM

Star Trek DVD Recommendations?

I'm a recent Trek convert. I love the movies and own them all. Naturally, I'm interested in the shows, but am overwhelmed by the number of DVDs out there. Where would be a good place to start? Deep Space Nine has captured my attention more than the others. Also, would it be safe to make a blind buy for a first season? Thanks!

nemein 07-25-04 09:01 PM

Personally I would rent before making a committment like that. Also keep in mind most of the 1st seasons of all the series were a little lackluster IMHO. There is the upcoming Picard collection (something like 7 eps) that might be a good place to start but you'll be jumping into the middle of the story... I'm also not sure if there are going to release any other collections or not at this point. A Worf one would be nice but I haven't heard anything.

milo bloom 07-25-04 09:01 PM

I have hardly any of the shows on DVD because of the ungodly price, but DS9 is pretty much a top notch show. If you've seen it and like it, then the DVDs are a no brainer.

The Original Series is coming out in season sets this fall, but I'll just be completing my collection of the single disc volumes once they flood the used market.

DataZak 07-25-04 09:01 PM

All three seasons of the Original Series will be released (or is that re-released?) soon starting with the "Complete First season" coming out on September. Get those first.

Chew 07-26-04 07:08 AM

Another vote for Deep Space Nine. It's my favorite since the orginal series.

ThatGuamGuy 07-26-04 08:22 AM

Thing about DS9 is, it starts pretty slow. The first season isn't that good (a lot of fans left it after that), and the second season is only a little better. However, there comes a point (I think it's around the fourth season), once they introduce the Jem-Hadar and the Dominion, when it becomes *great*. The last few seasons of it are really solid; they begin having major arcs running over multiple episodes ... and, the thing is, it all builds off those early bad ones.

So, yeah, if you haven't seen 'em, you should start from the beginning.

I would say, though, that 'Next Generation' might be less of a commitment; but the first season of that is *really* hit and miss, and tries too hard to be the original series.

Adrenaline 07-26-04 08:26 AM

From mid-Season 2 when Ira Behr really took over it got really good. Every season imo got better and better, Season 7 I can give some credit for because they had to introduce a new character. They really needed a Season 8.

Novasonic 07-26-04 08:56 AM

Is that TNG complete series set still coming out soon? I know they have the Borg Cube in Europe already. I hope we get something like that here. Hopefully it won't be excessively expensive.

Adrenaline 07-26-04 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Novasonic
Is that TNG complete series set still coming out soon? I know they have the Borg Cube in Europe already. I hope we get something like that here. Hopefully it won't be excessively expensive.
I think it's coming out in October (the 26th I believe), as well as DS9.

Novasonic 07-26-04 11:33 AM

There's no word yet on the price, right?

Adrenaline 07-26-04 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Novasonic
There's no word yet on the price, right?
Seasons 1-4 set of Voyager is going for $300 ($75 a pop) so the complete set of TNG and DS9 should run for ~$525

Novasonic 07-26-04 12:41 PM

:(

tanman 07-27-04 03:24 AM

Quick question while I have you Trekkers attention. I finally got the original crew movies (been waiting for the two disc versions) Am I correct in saying that they discontinued putting inserts in, because VI didn't come with an insert. Sorry if this is a known issue.

Adrenaline 07-27-04 06:10 AM

Yeah it's been verified, Paramount has done the Universal and stoppped putting in inserts. Also there were some white cased Star Trek VI's when it first came out.