DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Question about DVD's at Wal-Mart (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/376320-question-about-dvds-wal-mart.html)

Maxflier 07-23-04 10:20 AM

Question about DVD's at Wal-Mart

I am pretty sure I have heard that Wal-Mart puts new releases on sale the first week just like BB,CC,etc does.But the Wal-Marts around where I live have never done this.So today i decided to ask the lady who runs the Electronics dept. why they dont do it when other Wal-Marts do.She said all Wal-Marts do the same thing and that they dont put them on sale but they will price-match.Of course that still doesnt give me any incentive to buy from them since i get Reward Zone points at BB.

So my question is can anyone confirm for me that their Wal-Mart actually puts new releases on sale and doesnt just price match?I wish there was some way i could prove it to the people here.

TomOpus 07-23-04 10:43 AM

I can confirm that my Wal*Mart puts new "mainstream" releases on sale the first week.

I've picked up Big Fish and The Butterfly Effect for $14.24... and that's the normal price.

MEJHarrison 07-23-04 11:01 AM

I believe that Wal*Mart prices change depending on how close the competition is. If there's a Best Buy across the street they'll have better prices then if there isn't. I'd guess there's no major stores selling DVDs near your Wal*Mart.

Maxflier 07-23-04 11:06 AM

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I believe that Wal*Mart prices change depending on how close the competition is. If there's a Best Buy across the street they'll have better prices then if there isn't. I'd guess there's no major stores selling DVDs near your Wal*Mart.
Your right.The nearest one is like 30 miles from here.

AnonomusBob15 07-23-04 11:59 AM

My Wal-Mart doesn't sale price their New Releases. They mark the price down after the first price-match.

Also, I live next to the highest grossing Wal Mart in the southeast.

flyboy 07-23-04 12:26 PM

Also, I live next to the highest grossing Wal Mart in the southeast.
That must mean there are alot of rednecks around! Lol

Jk

Mok 07-23-04 01:26 PM

My Walmart sometimes makes you wait one day after the release date to put the disc on sale.

LorenzoL 07-23-04 01:27 PM

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I think that's true in my area.

celluloidbuff 07-28-04 03:01 AM

Wal-Mart new release pricing

Some of it depends upon the initiative of the audio/video manager. The manager at the store I frequent actively searches all the Sunday newspaper ads for the lowest price for any given title and marks them below that lowest price, regardless of proximity of the Wal-Mart to that store. For example, Target may sometimes have a better price than Best Buy for a certain title but not for everything else. Or K-Mart may have a hot title priced as a loss leader way below what anybody else is offering. With the way this manager prices, it saves driving to four or five stores to save a couple bucks on each title. The only problems at times have been availability of less popular mainstream or catalog titles as well as occasionally lacking a decent quantity of widescreen versions if released separately.

kayak99 07-28-04 07:48 AM

My WallyMart, having no competition within 15 miles or so, does not discount DVD's except for the usual bins/racks.

taronga 07-28-04 08:26 AM

At the last store inventory, they found that my Wal-Mart had lost $4,000 worth of DVDs. That combined with BB, Target & CC being 20 miles away means that everything is full priced. Still, there's always pricematching.

imp66 07-28-04 08:34 AM

Just check the bargains forum regularly and you can see the extreme difference in pricing at Walmarts across the country, proving that all Walmarts are NOT the same.