DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   From Dusk Till Dawn...crappy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/376088-dusk-till-dawn-crappy.html)

Masamune 07-22-04 01:41 AM

From Dusk Till Dawn...crappy?

I just saw this film released for cheap at a store in town but I heard the DVD isn't anamorphic...

Sounds like I'd want to skip it since especially when I got a really nice TV to show it off on. I really love this movie, but no anamorphic really sucks. =(

Opinions? Seems it was taken straight off the laserdisc...

Thanks!!

DonnachaOne 07-22-04 02:35 AM

Not anamorphic, which is just plain stupid. The picture isn't bad at all, though. Just not as good as it should be.

InnocentBlood 07-22-04 03:06 AM

the R2 version is anamorphic though... :thumbsup:

Johnny Zhivago 07-22-04 09:34 AM

Yeah, it's not anamorphic... -rolleyes- But, as DonnachaOne said, the PQ is pretty good for a crappy non-anamorphic release... Doesn't help those of us with 16X9 displays though, does it?

steebo777 07-22-04 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Yeah, it's not anamorphic... -rolleyes- But, as DonnachaOne said, the PQ is pretty good for a crappy non-anamorphic release... Doesn't help those of us with 16X9 displays though, does it?
No it doesn't. What blew me away the most was that the current CE of the DVD was a second release of it on DVD -ohbfrank-

Giles 07-22-04 09:42 AM

and the OOP DTS laserdisc edition has a stellar soundtrack that is a blast and a half - which is vastly superior to the DVD version.

Masamune 07-22-04 10:10 AM

So with my 16x9 TV I'll end up being stuck with the bars?

I think this is the reason why THE DOORS looks so crappy ever since I got my TV. I bet it isn't anamorphic too...Perhaps OFFICE SPACE is the same...

steebo777 07-22-04 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Masamune
So with my 16x9 TV I'll end up being stuck with the bars?

I think this is the reason why THE DOORS looks so crappy ever since I got my TV. I bet it isn't anamorphic too...Perhaps OFFICE SPACE is the same...

You are correct that The Doors and Office Space are non-animorphic, but even if The Doors was anamorphic, you would still have 'the black bars' as the OAR is 2.35:1

Masamune 07-22-04 10:17 AM

Hmm.

I wonder if I should just grab this movie anyways. 14 bucks for a great movie with commentary with Tarantino is quite nice.

We won't see a new version of this film for quite a long time I'd think.

Masamune 07-22-04 10:26 AM

This is the one I saw...

Any diff or just a diff cover?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=13

otmetrud 07-22-04 11:11 AM

Hmm.

I wonder if I should just grab this movie anyways. 14 bucks for a great movie with commentary with Tarantino is quite nice.

We won't see a new version of this film for quite a long time I'd think.

I doubt we'll be seeing an anamorphic version of this, so if you love the movie, it's definitely worth picking up -- if for no other reason than for the Tarantino/Rodriguez commentary. Very entertaining and informative.

Also, the feature-length documentary on the making of the film (1.33:1) is very good, too.

Given those two things, well worth the $14 even if the movie is non-anamorphic.

OREOSpeedwagon 07-22-04 11:22 AM

i don't see why so many people judge movies based on the aspect ratio on the DVD. I've got a crappy zenith 27" regular TV and most of my movies are widescreen, I don't care about the black bars. most of my movies I could watch the fullscreen if necessary (actually I have a lot of my DVDs on VHS too) and I still enjoy it because I like the movies.

Cornelius1047 07-22-04 11:38 AM

They're concerned with the quality of the transfer and their lack of ability to play it on a widescreen TV. Not its aspect ratio. Pay attention.

K

steebo777 07-22-04 12:51 PM

This is the one I saw...

Any diff or just a diff cover?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=13

Yeah that's it.

Masamune 07-22-04 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
They're concerned with the quality of the transfer and their lack of ability to play it on a widescreen TV. Not its aspect ratio. Pay attention.

K

lol

LorenzoL 07-23-04 01:34 PM

I have this DVD and even without the anamorphic transfer, it was a hard disc to pass up just to see Salma dancing with the snake.

animalmystic 07-23-04 02:24 PM

THis movie is sick! I love when
Spoiler:
Clooney is drilling the vampires with the stake gun!

jough 07-24-04 06:20 PM

It's a nice set, and the long doc on the second disc (actually, it's the first disc - the movie is on the second disc) is TERRIFIC!

Shroud 07-24-04 07:48 PM

I finally broke down and ordered the R2 version for $12.95 shipped from cd-wow.net. Playing on a HTPC with an Infocus X1 projector so PAL/NTSC and out of region coding are no worries.
Guess the next thing we can argue about is the PAL speedup issue.

Fok 07-25-04 04:25 AM

Worth picking up, great movie.

Masamune 07-25-04 01:20 PM

I bought it BTW. It was great to watch again. =)

I just hit Theatre Wide 2 on my TV and the no anamorphic was no big deal. =)

Frank S 07-25-04 10:45 PM

If your lucky like me you can pretty much put up with it being non-Anamorphic since I have both a Panasonic RP91 that does TRUE scaling (not the seudo scaling of Toshibas and a few others) of non-Anamorphic DVD's to Anamorphic aspect ratio and I use a Home Theater PC which is even better!

This film is a lot of fun and if the DVD can be had for cheap it is a no brainer!