DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Anyone use Netflix recently? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/375838-anyone-use-netflix-recently.html)

JPRaup 07-20-04 08:22 PM

Anyone use Netflix recently?

Im thinking about signing up for it,
What are the pros and cons, I live in Rochester, NY, so if anyone in Rochester knows, how fast should i get the dvds?

Tarantino 07-20-04 08:23 PM

Yeah, I use it all the time. It's great. Sign up. Now.

JPRaup 07-20-04 08:24 PM

ok, how fast do u get brand new releases, if they are top priority

Tarantino 07-20-04 08:29 PM

Depends. Some you'll get the day before it hits stores, others will have a short wait. They all depend. Sign up.

JPRaup 07-20-04 08:32 PM

Whats a Short wait, like 2-3 days

BeckysBoy 07-20-04 08:35 PM

I'm in Atlanta and I'm trying to decide between signing up with Netflix and GreenCine. I like a lot of foreign and arty stuff, so I thought GreenCine might be a better way to go, but I know turnaround time would be faster at Netflix and their selection is pretty good anyway. Thoughts?

JPRaup 07-20-04 08:40 PM

Im into more mainstream stuff, so Netflix would be a better choice, right?

GHackmann 07-20-04 08:54 PM

The easiest way to find out how you like it is to sign up for the trial.

Personally I get a 3-day turnaround time (send a DVD back on Monday, Netflix ships a new one on Tuesday, it's in my mailbox on Wednesday) on almost all discs. Apparently this is a big YMMV based on how often you rent new releases and how far you are from the nearest distribution center. (I'm in the same city as a Netflix center and rarely rent new releases, so the numbers are skewed in my favor.)

A lot of people have complained about service degrading after the free trial is over. Apparently how many new releases you rented in one billing cycle affects how quickly you get new releases the next month. I've been a paying member for about 6 months and haven't noticed any service degredations; but like I said, I rarely rent new releases.

spazz276 07-20-04 08:59 PM

I live in Rochester, NY. Ive been using Netflix for a while now. I usually get my Dvd's next day, once they are shipped from the website.I heard they ship from Henrietta somewhere. I would at least try the free trial if nothing else, but ive been very pleased...

JPRaup 07-20-04 09:18 PM

thanks for the suggestion, i think im gonna sign up

clckworang 07-20-04 09:45 PM

I would heartily recommend Netflix. I rent a wide range of films, artsy, foreign, new releases, silent, classics, you name it, and there are few titles out in R1 that Netflix doesn't carry. My queue is always filled completely (500 movies) and if you go down the list I think only about 3 or 4 of the films listed do not have an availability now listing. The others are listed as short wait. As for turnaround time, it usually takes about 2 or 3 days for Netflix to receive the disc and about the same time for me to get my next movie after they send it. They also are very understanding when it comes to damaged or lost discs. If you are all region, you might also take a look at Nicheflix, although they do not have nearly the selection, are a little pricier and only have one distribution center so it usually takes a day or two longer to get movies from them.

bsktballDude1 07-20-04 10:08 PM

I just signed up at the begining of the month and it's been a great expierence, and they have such a wide selection of movies that I get to finally see so many greats from cinema history.

texasgator 07-20-04 10:37 PM

"I'm in Atlanta and I'm trying to decide between signing up with Netflix and GreenCine. "

I can tell you my experience. GreenCine is in San Francisco, I believe. I just recently quit and joined Netflix when I realized that all but 3 of the dvds in my queue were available from Netflix.

The day I joined Netflix, they shipped out three movies that had been at the top of my queue at GreenCine for quite some time, but were never available. I received all three the next day (I'm in Austin). Since then (it's been two weeks), every shipment arrives the day after I get the shipping notice.

Shipments from GreenCine, on the other hand, would take 3, 4, or sometimes 5 days to reach me, and the same going back.

I loved GreenCine's selection and what they are trying to do. Customer service was top notch -- but Netflix just has them beat on the shipping and stock of dvds. (I guess if you are into anime, GreenCine might be the better choice).

As for new dvds, I just got Starsky and Hutch and The Human Stain in the mail today from Netflix. Both were released today.
Netflix is getting two thumbs up from me so far.

JPRaup 07-20-04 10:47 PM

nice, thats awesome im def. doing Netflix

nemein 07-20-04 11:35 PM

Great company (although looking at the stock recently you couldn't tell but that's another story ;)). I've been using them since the time they actually sold DVDs and before the whole "marquee program" (the only rental method they offer now though) started. Haven't really had any major complaints yet. As you continue to use them sometimes they'll seem a little slow and some things will seem to sit in a "wait" state forever, but overall I'm still very happy w/ them.

FuzzyBallz 07-20-04 11:51 PM

You just need to know how to work the queue. If a new movies doesn't ship out the day it comes out, it's gonna be a LONG wait. Used them for 6 months. Great experience. Next day ship and receive. I quit due to price increase. Bastards added $2.

JPRaup 07-21-04 12:05 AM

$2 isnt that bad

BeckysBoy 07-21-04 08:27 AM

Thanks for the insights clckworang and texasgator. You've helped me make up my mind. I'll go with Netflix.

rfduncan 07-21-04 10:04 AM

Netflix is definitely the way to go. Half of what I rent from there is either a) always checked out at my video store or b) isn't carried by my video store. I don't even know what I keep the membership card for my local video store!

Dammit 07-21-04 10:27 AM

Netflix has saved me so much money it's ridiculous. There should be a section of their site that shows you where all the distro locations are too.