DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   News on a Bret Hart DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/375542-news-bret-hart-dvd.html)

Class316 07-19-04 01:39 PM

News on a Bret Hart DVD

There is some talk that Bret Hart will be meeting with Shane McMahon to discuss a possible Bret Hart DVD.

Bret intends to negotiate a deal that allows him to release footage of his career on a DVD backed by WWE. He has met with Vince several times on this issue.

As for an update on Bret's return, it still seems inevitable to most backstage, although nothing is confirmed. Most also question whether Bret's anger with Flair's book might become a hindrance in potential negotiations.
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2004...1090259302.php

mikewendt 07-19-04 03:47 PM

The DVD is a very cool idea and I'm sure it would be well done... But as for his return, it would be best to keep it "promotional" if at all. IMO, we don't need another legend spoiling his legacy by hanging on too long.

nodeerforamonth 07-19-04 03:48 PM

Bret Hart was on the Wrestling Observer Radio Show last night. I think whether the DVD comes out or not depends on how the Montreal screw job is portrayed.

wordtoyamotha 07-19-04 04:24 PM

I'd like to throw in my $0.02 here. The WWE/WWF catalog is one of the most mis-managed potential dvd libraries. There policy, for the most part, has been to ONLY release material that promotes current wrestlers or events. They don't think anyone will buy classic material? No one is interested in old Wrestlemanias or Wrestlers? They don't think the sale of older material would spawn interest in current wrestling events?

Get a clue WWE.

Just MHO.

Thoseidiots 07-19-04 04:47 PM

I'm not up on all the backstage stuff that happens. Why is Bret Hart angry about Ric Flair's book?

Also, matches I would include on the dvd are:

Hart Foundation/Demolition best of 3 falls from Summerslam 90, Dusty Rhodes' team vs Ted Dibiase's team from Survivor Series, Hart vs. Piper from WM 8, Hart/Perfect, Hart/Bulldog, Bret vs. Owen at WM10, and Hart/Flair. I would like the Owen/Bret cage match and the Owen tribute match to be on there for the sake of completeness but since they're already out on dvd who knows.

PaulNJ21 07-19-04 05:57 PM

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
I'd like to throw in my $0.02 here. The WWE/WWF catalog is one of the most mis-managed potential dvd libraries. There policy, for the most part, has been to ONLY release material that promotes current wrestlers or events. They don't think anyone will buy classic material? No one is interested in old Wrestlemanias or Wrestlers? They don't think the sale of older material would spawn interest in current wrestling events?

Get a clue WWE.

Just MHO.

The WWE has released a ton of classic footage already on DVD...

The Steel Cage Collection DVD
Hulk Still Rules DVD
From The Vault Shawn Michaels DVD
Mick Foley: Greatest Hits & Misses DVD
The Ric Flair Collection
Hall of Fame 2004 DVD

And they are just really starting to release older footage...

Paul

nodeerforamonth 07-19-04 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Thoseidiots
I'm not up on all the backstage stuff that happens. Why is Bret Hart angry about Ric Flair's book?
Go to Bret Hart's web site. Or wrestlingobserver.com. He wrote a whole big long essay about Flair.

bodomnet 07-19-04 06:35 PM

Get a clue WWE.

Just MHO.

Well they are re realesing mania's rumbles suvivor series summerslams and more..

sinister 07-19-04 06:36 PM

he had great matches in wcw with booker T, chris benoit, the classic halloween havok match where he took out sting. i just hope the dvd is done right. at least 3 to 4 dvd's would be nice.

bodomnet 07-19-04 06:43 PM

Yeah a 5 Disc set would be nice ;)
I haven't heard anything on if they will include WCW matches yet.
But it would be a shame if they dont.

He was also talking about what promos/interviews he'd like to include. So this will be the "total package".

nodeerforamonth 07-20-04 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Thoseidiots
Here:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=050993

wordtoyamotha 07-20-04 01:18 PM

Originally posted by PaulNJ21
The WWE has released a ton of classic footage already on DVD...

The Steel Cage Collection DVD
Hulk Still Rules DVD
From The Vault Shawn Michaels DVD
Mick Foley: Greatest Hits & Misses DVD
The Ric Flair Collection
Hall of Fame 2004 DVD

And they are just really starting to release older footage...

Paul

You're helping me prove my point Paul. The above dvd's are great (especially Hulk Still Rules and Ric Flair), but it doesn't begin to scratch the surface of their classic material. Do you honestly consider the list above a TON of material taking into account their whole library? I don't. IMHO, the first thing they should have released on dvd were the old Wrestlemanias or some Wrestlemania sets. Where are they? How about the older Royal Rumbles and Survior Series? For a company willing to make a buck on ANY type of merchandising, I expected this material to be available sooner.

NitroJMS 07-20-04 02:28 PM

The change over in name from WWF to WWE has been a major hindrance in them getting out classic product. It takes a long time to remove the WWF references.

Class316 07-20-04 02:49 PM

IMHO, the first thing they should have released on dvd were the old Wrestlemanias or some Wrestlemania sets. Where are they? How about the older Royal Rumbles and Survior Series? For a company willing to make a buck on ANY type of merchandising, I expected this material to be available sooner.
They're all on R2.

WM, RR, SS, and even KOTR.

Originally posted by NitroJMS
The change over in name from WWF to WWE has been a major hindrance in them getting out classic product. It takes a long time to remove the WWF references.
huh? All the WWF block logos are kept. And see what I said about R2.

wordtoyamotha 07-20-04 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Class316
They're all on R2.

WM, RR, SS, and even KOTR.

Then what is keeping them from releasing these in R1? I'll refer to my original rant: mismanagement of their library.

dvd-4-life 07-20-04 04:55 PM

I would like to see the Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund match where Backlund goes nuts at the end and refuses to let go the cross face chicken wing.Cool stuff.

CaseyB 07-20-04 09:37 PM

After Bret going off on Flair's book and their 60 minute match in Boston, I'd like to see them both sit down and do the commentary on that match. :) I have the handheld raw footage of that match, but I'm not sure the WWF taped that at the time.

Also, expect tons more of old footage to be released. They're going to have Video On Demand shows every month and that will lead to more older stuff on DVD hopefully.