Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism DVD

Old 07-17-04, 10:08 AM
Cool New Member

Has anyone seen this documentary? Is this a straight to video release because I don't recall it being released theatrically?

DVD Description

For the first time ever, the documentary reveals the secrets of former Fox News producers, reporters, bookers and writers who expose what it's like to work for Fox News. These former Fox employees talk about how they were forced to push a "right-wing" point of view or risk their jobs. Some have even chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect their current livelihoods. As on employee said, "There's no sense of integrity as far as having a line that can't be crossed."
"Outfoxed" examines how media empires, led by Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, have been running a "race to the bottom" in television news. This film provides an in-depth look at Fox News and the dangers of ever-enlarging corporations taking control of the public's right to know.
Old 07-17-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate to tell you, news organizations are extremly biased. Most lean extremly liberal.

They all have stupid policies that piss people off. For example, (I was a journalist and have friends with first hand experience with this one) Gannett requires writers to get a quote from a minority regardless of what the story is about. It may have absolutely no meaning, but it has to be there. They call it "mainstreaming."

Rupert leansright. Thankfully, that way we get the rest of the info that all the networks, more liberal of leftest, leave out. By the way I am a republican and basically only watch the fox news channel becaue it spends less time being cheerleaders for the democrats.

Oh, being a republican is actually one reason I left journalism. They tout the democratic candidate no matter what usually, even if they are going to kill the economy and endanger lives as Clinton did and Kerry will. There are exceptions in states where republicans dominate, but not that often.

Last edited by speedyray; 07-17-04 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-17-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by speedyray
Hate to tell you, news organizations are extremly biased. Most lean extremly liberal.
If what you're saying is true, why did all of the news networks -- CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. -- and most newspapers treat the Senate report saying there was no evidence that Saddam Hussein was developing weapons of mass destruction as a one-day story? Didn't these same news outlets report on Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, and the famous BJ every day for months and months and months?

I think the bias most people see in the news media depends on their own personal bias. If you're ultra-liberal, every news outlet is going to appear to have a conservative bias, and if you're ultra-conservative, then every outlet will appear to have a liberal bias.
Old 07-17-04, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

I ordered it thru DDD yesterday. Pretty good price at $5.99 shipped.

This release hasn't gotten much advertising that I've seen. Has there been any print or other advertising promoting it's release?
Old 07-17-04, 02:19 PM

You can read about the making of the film in this New York Times story. Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 07-17-04, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
[B]If what you're saying is true, why did all of the news networks -- CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. -- and most newspapers treat the Senate report saying there was no evidence that Saddam Hussein was developing weapons of mass destruction as a one-day story? Didn't these same news outlets report on Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, and the famous BJ every day for months and months and months?[B]

Becuase Senate reports aren't sexy.

I think the bias most people see in the news media depends on their own personal bias. If you're ultra-liberal, every news outlet is going to appear to have a conservative bias, and if you're ultra-conservative, then every outlet will appear to have a liberal bias.
Then how come I can tell the difference between Fox News and the rest? I certainly wouldn't say Fox News is liberal though it's probably not conservative enough for my leanings. Bill O'Reilly is a major charlatan - preaching about values daily and appearing on Howard Stern! He doesn't seem to hold any convictions that I would trust come from an honest place.

CNN Headline News is awful with the things all over the screen and the smirking anchors just make me wanna tear my hair out. Even the little headline in the bottom blurb tries to be a "cute" summation of the story. Ugh. The movie critic is a joke, too.

Last edited by JoebobX; 07-17-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by speedyray
They all have stupid policies that piss people off. For example, (I was a journalist and have friends with first hand experience with this one) Gannett requires writers to get a quote from a minority regardless of what the story is about. It may have absolutely no meaning, but it has to be there. They call it "mainstreaming."
I have worked for a Gannett publication in the past and I have to say I think this is just an example of a rumor or a one-time event that got exaggerated. I have never heard of this at any newspaper I have worked at. I have been told if I am writing a story that specifically involves a minority or an area of town that has a high concentration of minorities I should go out and get some comments from some representatives of that area, but that is totally different. To hold up this (most likely false) example as how newspapers have "stupid policies that piss people off is ludicrous." Most of the "stupid policies" you talk about are there to protect objectivity. The bottom line is, yeah, most reporters I have met do lean left, but if they are good reporters that doesn't get reflected in their coverage. It's called objectivity, something Fox News is desperately lacking.

Murdock doesn't just "lean right." From what I have heard about how he runs his news empire, he deliberately stacks the deck so that everything will portray conservatives in a good light. Although he's not alone either. I caught Dennis Miller the other day and he managed to rip on Clinton again for the Monica Lewinsky thing even though it had nothing to do with their discussion of Bush. The way I see it, most cable television news channels these days (and really that is where most people get their television news these days) lean right and show less objectivity that any "journalist" I have ever seen. "Fair and Balanced" my ass.
Old 07-17-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If what you're saying is true, why did all of the news networks -- CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. -- and most newspapers treat the Senate report saying there was no evidence that Saddam Hussein was developing weapons of mass destruction as a one-day story? Didn't these same news outlets report on Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, and the famous BJ every day for months and months and months?

Well the answer is pretty simple and has little to do with politics: TV ratings are much higher for lurid sex scandels, than they are for coverage of Senate reports.

Hell the biggest news story of the year so far is not about Iraq or the Upcoming presidential election, nope It's Janet Jackson's nipple at the superbowl half-time show.
Old 07-17-04, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
I have worked for a Gannett publication in the past and I have to say I think this is just an example of a rumor or a one-time event that got exaggerated. I have never heard of this at any newspaper I have worked at. I have been told if I am writing a story that specifically involves a minority or an area of town that has a high concentration of minorities I should go out and get some comments from some representatives of that area, but that is totally different. To hold up this (most likely false) example as how newspapers have "stupid policies that piss people off is ludicrous." Most of the "stupid policies" you talk about are there to protect objectivity. The bottom line is, yeah, most reporters I have met do lean left, but if they are good reporters that doesn't get reflected in their coverage. It's called objectivity, something Fox News is desperately lacking.

Murdock doesn't just "lean right." From what I have heard about how he runs his news empire, he deliberately stacks the deck so that everything will portray conservatives in a good light. Although he's not alone either. I caught Dennis Miller the other day and he managed to rip on Clinton again for the Monica Lewinsky thing even though it had nothing to do with their discussion of Bush. The way I see it, most cable television news channels these days (and really that is where most people get their television news these days) lean right and show less objectivity that any "journalist" I have ever seen. "Fair and Balanced" my ass.
Dare I ask it . . . No it's too easy . . . Wait . . . Wait . . . Too logical a connection . . . Must resist . . .

So, uh, how does "Murdock" differ from Ted Turner in terms of bias?
Old 07-17-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is definitely a liberal bias in most of the media.

I've been paying attention to the little details and stories about media bias for years. It's often a subtle thing - like the Democrat getting his best lines in as a soundbite, and the Republican shown in a flub (or just a poor soundbite) for the same story. Both got soundbites, but the quality, and often the length of the soundbites is rarely the same.

In surveys of journalists working for the major news networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN) the percentage of respondants who identified themselves as Democrats has run anywhere from 75-90%, Independents make up another 5-15%, and Republicans only 5-10%. That's not exactly any more fair and balanced than Fox.

The networks & CNN all lean liberal/Democrat - and it isn't always intentional. Sometimes what they see as balanced would seem biased towards the left by an Independent or a Republican. Their own personal bias skews what they see as balanced reporting.

So basically you've got ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN on the left and Fox News on the right. I don't see where anyone on the left has room to complain.
Old 07-17-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
I have a friend who specifically left a Gannett paper here in Tennessee because of "mainstreaming." I have other friends that have verified it does happen.

Bill and Monica got heavy coverage because is got good ratings. The media on the other hand has not gone back and actively corrected misleading reporting and lies by democratic leaders that Iraq was indeed trying to purchase uranium. That is just one example of a lie they broadcast for days and gloss over when the truth comes out.

Last edited by speedyray; 07-17-04 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by B5Erik
In surveys of journalists working for the major news networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN) the percentage of respondants who identified themselves as Democrats has run anywhere from 75-90%, Independents make up another 5-15%, and Republicans only 5-10%. That's not exactly any more fair and balanced than Fox.
I'd like to see scrap #1 of evidence for the existence of these surveys. Those numbers are suspicious even for an examination of voting patterns, but they are certainly outlandish for a survey of self-identification.
Old 07-17-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Third Jake
I'd like to see scrap #1 of evidence for the existence of these surveys. Those numbers are suspicious even for an examination of voting patterns, but they are certainly outlandish for a survey of self-identification.
Those numbers hold true with the industry from when I was in it. I knew three republicans. Me and two others. Two of us have quit and moved into other sectors. The last was not a strong supporter and would sometimes lean independent or even democratic.

Fine (for comment below), for reference I was in the print media in middle Tennessee, and the only network I had any significant encounters with was CNN - all democrats that I met.

And no its not scientific, but when you go to national conventions and you realize that the same trends abound, It does support the generalization that there are not many republicans in media and that there are a great number of democrats. Therefore it gives some support to the supposed survey you are disputing. By no means does it prove anything, but I absolutely would wager my life that republicans are in a big time minority in media.

Last edited by speedyray; 07-17-04 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 04:00 PM

If you didn't work at ABC, CBS, NBC, or CNN, that that means exactly nothing in this context.

And even if you did, it still means nothing, as not only is it not scientific, it's not even a survey.
Old 07-17-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the lazy. To get the thread back on topic a little.

DDD 5.99

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...emID=RYK000005
Old 07-17-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Just thought I'd add that I currently write for a Gannett paper, there is no mandate that there be a minority be quoted in every article. Diversity in sources is encouraged, but by no means required. I have written plenty of articles without minority sources and have never once had an editor tell me to "add some color."
Old 07-17-04, 09:08 PM

A scrap.

In 1996, a survey by the American Society of Newspaper Editors found that, of newspaper journalists, 61% identify themselves as "Democrat or liberal" or "lean to Democrat/liberal," while 15% identify themselves as "Republican or conservative" or "lean to Republican/conservative." Self-indentifying "independent"s accounted for the remaing 24%. When compared to ASNE's 1988 survey on this, the Democrat/liberal categories have remained the same, while the Republican/conservative categories have seen a loss that has resulted in a gain in the category of independents.

There are a few more scraps around to be found by those with basic search engine skills.

DJ
Old 07-17-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
I'll be the first to admit that there is there tend to be a lot of reporters that are liberals. I've always assumed that it's because republicans are too smart to take the job. Who wants to pay 80 grand for a degree and make 20 grand a year when you can go to business school and make 20 grand a month?

But that 15% that identify themselves as conservatives? I can tell you what jobs they have at the newspapers: they're the editors. That's right, the people who who write the articles are liberals, but the people who edit, assign and decide the spin on the articles are largely, in my experience, conservatives. To this day I've only ever met one gay republican, and he was an editor.
Old 07-17-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
A scrap.

In 1996, a survey by the American Society of Newspaper Editors found that, of newspaper journalists, 61% identify themselves as "Democrat or liberal" or "lean to Democrat/liberal," while 15% identify themselves as "Republican or conservative" or "lean to Republican/conservative." Self-indentifying "independent"s accounted for the remaing 24%. When compared to ASNE's 1988 survey on this, the Democrat/liberal categories have remained the same, while the Republican/conservative categories have seen a loss that has resulted in a gain in the category of independents.

There are a few more scraps around to be found by those with basic search engine skills.

DJ
Hey, thanks! Not a single scrap of evidence that a survey of the political affiliation solely of those working for ABC, CBS, NBC, or CNN was ever conducted. And on top of that, even the quoted statistics cherry-picked to most support the claim don't fall within any of the ranges quoted by the original poster.

Of course, lacking basic search engine skills, when I looked I certainly didn't come across bunches of statistics that sort of resemble the original claim but clearly don't support the existence of the very specific survey the original poster described.

You've certainly been a lot of help. Thanks for your pertinent and informative contribution.
Old 07-17-04, 10:50 PM

And on top of that, even the quoted statistics cherry-picked to most support the claim...
I cherry-picked the statistics I gave? I gave the breakdown of the total responses to the question. I also gave a link to the entirety of the survery results. That's cherry-picking? What relevant information did I leave out?

Of course, lacking basic search engine skills, when I looked I certainly didn't come across bunches of statistics that sort of resemble the original claim but clearly don't support the existence of the very specific survey the original poster described.
Of course, because you'd rather clothe yourself in being "right" about the "very specific survey" while ignoring the glaringly obvious larger issue.

You've certainly been a lot of help. Thanks for your pertinent and informative contribution.
Yes, I gave information regarding the political self-identification of journalists. How completely nutty and out-of-left-field for this thread. It surely pales in comparison to all of the information you have shared with us.

I'm sure you'll continue to blather on regarding your presumed rightness concerning the "very specific survey" (presumed, of course, because your only argument in support of being right is an appeal to ignorance) while substantive discussion continues apace, as usual, without you. Bring on the standard snarky response that continues to avoid anything even resembling substance...

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 07-17-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 11:02 PM

I meant cherry-picked from the multitude of similar surveys out there with different numbers.

Regardless, I asked for evidence of a survey of particular people which yielded particular numbers. You gave me a "standard snarky response" with links to a survey of a different group of people which yielded different results.

I do not deny the larger issue at hand. I do, however, think that the survey and numbers quoted by the original poster are like 73% of all statistics used in Internet arguments - made up. And that's why I asked for evidence of that survey.

You can continue to post surveys that either do not deal with the relevant population and/or yield the same numbers as the original post, but it's not relevant to my question, which you quoted, and so I can only assume you are not trying to be helpful but are picking a fight for reasons on which I will not speculate. I'm not interested in a long drawn-out argument with you and won't participate in one. I don't deny that many surveys like the ones you posted exist and that they do indeed point to a larger issue; however, I think the particular surveys mentioned by the original poster are a figment of his or some pundit's imagination, and that's why I'm asking about those particular surveys.
Old 07-17-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Claiming that the editors (print or broadcast) are conservatives just doesn't jibe.

The editorial policies for most major newspapers lean very much to the left, and the producers and story editors for network news also lean very strongly to the left (which I would be you could prove by their political contributions, but I'm not quite sure how to find them - but I'd bet you big money that 75-80% of them that have contributed to a political party or a campaign have done so with the Democratic party or to Democratic candidates). You could also find out by their voter registration - but, again, I don't know how to find it.

Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, and Dan Rather are all liberal Democrats (by their own admissions, and by their attendance at some Democratic fundraisers), and because of their big money contracts they have editorial control over a large part of the content of their newscasts.

The surveys that I referred to are surveys that I've read about in news articles and heard about on radio news over the last 10 years. The one that sticks out was done by a university that was supposed to be fairly balanced on political bias. Unfortunately, since that was 6 or 7 years ago I can't remember which university it was. (If I had known that people would quiz me on it I would have taken better notes.. )

If you still aren't sure, watch newscasts. See who gets the more impressive soundbites, see who gets more airtime. See who gets painted in a more favorable light. It is the Democrats who get treated with kid gloves, and the Republicans who get grilled for the most part (unless the ratings value are high - ratings trump political bias almost every time, thus the Lewinsky story's lasting power with the networks).

There IS a very real left leaning political bias at ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN, just like there is a right leaning bias at Fox.

I just don't get why Democrats won't admit the left leaning bias at the networks other than Fox - most Republicans I know very willingly admit that there is a right leaning bias at Fox.
Old 07-18-04, 12:07 AM

If you still aren't sure, watch newscasts. See who gets the more impressive soundbites, see who gets more airtime. See who gets painted in a more favorable light. It is the Democrats who get treated with kid gloves, and the Republicans who get grilled for the most part (unless the ratings value are high - ratings trump political bias almost every time, thus the Lewinsky story's lasting power with the networks).
I'm sorry. but I really don't buy that. Starting ever since the first presidential debates, Bush has said and done things that would have gotten Clinton or Gore or Kerry crucified in the press, and yet nothing seems to come of it.

But in any case, my position is that people perceive the media as being either liberal or conservative depending on their own political slant. I am a liberal (and proud of it) and I personally find the news to slant right more than left (especially with regard to the war). But I'll admit that may be just my own perception. The thing that really bothers me is that conservatives claim there is this whole "media bias" that is coloring everything that goes on in the press, but in reality they just don't like the fact that the press doesn't parrot back everything that they believe in.

Last edited by icruise; 07-18-04 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-18-04, 12:14 AM

Claiming that the editors (print or broadcast) are conservatives just doesn't jibe.
Personally, I'm not saying any such thing (I know you're also responding to another poster). I'm not denying the larger issue at hand. All I took issue with was the certitude and precision of your comments (which particular networks, distinct ranges for each affiliation). And, as your response indicates, the numbers are, if not made up out of whole cloth, certainly suspect. If it was six or seven years ago and you can't even remember who did the survey, I'm going to assume until given proof otherwise that your numbers are ballpark guesses at what you recall and not the actual survey responses you presented them to be.

I don't question that the mainstream media, as a whole, tilts to the left. Personally, I think that's pretty evident. What I did question were particular outlets and numbers quoted with certainty and the weight of fact, and further discussion and your lack of support has proven that questioning appropriate.
Old 07-18-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Abandon hope all ye who enter this thread.

In other words, is it asking too f***ing much to keep this thread on topic and leave the political bickering to Other?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.