DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Star Wars prequels, buy now used or wait? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/375101-star-wars-prequels-buy-now-used-wait.html)

Rypro 525 07-16-04 12:18 PM

Star Wars prequels, buy now used or wait?

ive seen both of them used at a couple of places in my area. now is there a good chance that episode 1 would be rereleased with a digital transfer and all deleted scene's, or should i just bite the bullet.

please don't threadcrap

ThatGuamGuy 07-16-04 12:30 PM

If you absolutely can't wait to see them again, buy them now, as they ain't getting any cheaper; they're out-of-print until at least the release of the third one ...

however, if you can wait, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a box set of all six (or all three of the original prequels) at some point in the not-too-distant (but possibly distant enough) future. Me, I'm waiting to see what comes out when the final new one is put out ... I'd expect a really extensive DVD box at some point with all of 'em, so I'm waiting to buy any (including the originals) until we hear more about the future releases.

Mike Lowrey 07-16-04 12:37 PM

There's rumors that Ep. I will get a new DVD treatment in some way or another, whether it's a new digital transfer, cleaned-up or enhanced special effectsl, or what. Either way, I'd wait to see what comes out in the near future.

I'll probably double-dip on Ep. I, because I feel the film's CG effects are already starting to look dated. They're just not as realistic looking in some scenes as they should have been. I mean we're talking about a film that's already five years old.

Fok 07-16-04 02:09 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the movies are re-released with added effects. I'll still keep the original prequels so I can still see how they were originally made.

Disc-Flipper 07-16-04 03:41 PM

Bail Organa needs to be inserted into Episode I - maybe a scene with Dooku also.

Seriously, I don't see them coming out again until the big box of six in 2005-2006.

flyboy 07-16-04 05:17 PM

A box of 6? Im kinda doubting that....I think we will see a gold or silver box set of the three prequels after the III is released to match the Original Trilogy box set. I bet we don't see a 6 movie set until HD-DVD .....

Mike Lowrey 07-16-04 05:20 PM

Originally posted by flyboy
A box of 6? Im kinda doubting that....I think we will see a gold or silver box set of the three prequels after the III is released to match the Original Trilogy box set. I bet we don't see a 6 movie set until HD-DVD .....
Yeah, I'd bet that that's the way they'll go. A prequal trilogy box set with updated Ep. I (since that one wasn't recorded in HD).

Jason 07-16-04 06:27 PM

The current release of Epsode 1 has edge enhancement. If they get rid of that, I'd be happy to double dip, even without any new features.

DavidH 07-16-04 06:58 PM

I have no doubt a boxset of all 6 will occur after episode III.

Goat3001 07-17-04 01:24 AM

I'm pretty sure we'll see a set of the 3 prequals so it could match the OT.

If you really want that boxset then wait but IMO, the DVD's for Ep. 1 and Ep. 2 are really great and not worth double dipping even if the box is really cool.

Chaza 07-17-04 01:58 AM

I'd wait for a boxset, if I was going to buy these films. Maybe rent 1 and 2 before seeing 3 to get back up to speed if need be.

QuiGonJosh 07-17-04 05:00 AM

Episode 1 is getting a new DVD release when the OT comes out in Sept. it will have a CG Yoda replacing the bad puppet one...

Qui Gon Jim 07-17-04 06:10 AM

I too would say wait for the rumored re-release in September BUT...

The extras on the TPM DVD are fantastic, particularly the documentary "The Beginning." For me, this doc is good enough to get at least the TPM DVD and perhaps double dip later for a better transfer of the film itself.

Of course the extras may just be repeated. Time will tell.

OldBoy 07-17-04 07:42 AM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
If you absolutely can't wait to see them again, buy them now, as they ain't getting any cheaper; they're out-of-print until at least the release of the third one ...
they're not OOP and never were...they are everywhere and I am sure will not be re-released.

Qui Gon Jim 07-17-04 07:55 AM

Originally posted by scott1598
they're not OOP and never were...they are everywhere and I am sure will not be re-released.
BZT

Both films are OOP, for the time being at least. Of course they are still widely available. There is a difference between OOP and HTF or rare.

Joseph B 07-17-04 08:52 AM

If you want these films, I would go ahead and get them.

I doubt that there will be a worthy enough re-release to warrant a double-dip until 2007, the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars film.

At that time rumors indicate that there could well be a "Ultimate Collector's Box" set of all six films that could encompass 18 DVD's and/or 12 HD-DVD's!

Josh Z 07-17-04 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I'll probably double-dip on Ep. I, because I feel the film's CG effects are already starting to look dated. They're just not as realistic looking in some scenes as they should have been. I mean we're talking about a film that's already five years old.
Oh my god, five years old??!! Holy crap, why are we even talking about this ancient relic anymore? Do you have to scrape fossils and stuff off the case when you pick up a copy?

flyboy 07-17-04 10:58 AM

Originally posted by DavidH
I have no doubt a boxset of all 6 will occur after episode III.

My money would be on not. In fact I would bet that 2007 would be the earliest (30th anniversary) that a full 6 box set would be released. But I am even doubting that. My money is that we will not see a 6 disc box until HD-DVD and more likley not until that medium has been out awhile. Look at his track record, has he ever been in any hurry to release them? I am thinking that 2010 will be the year of the next big reissue after the fall of 2005 prequel box set.

milo bloom 07-17-04 12:25 PM

I see plenty of used copies of these in used CD/movie stores and places like EBGames all the time, and for pretty cheap. It wouldn't cost that much to pick up now, and if the FX do get redone, you'll have a record of the versions.

Just watch out for panandscan copies.

kingtopher 07-17-04 10:24 PM

Like a few people have said, these are really nicely done, extras-packed editions, so if you want to see the films, go ahead and pick them up.

DavidH 07-17-04 11:31 PM

Everyone keeps talking about HD-DVD in a couple of years when we don't even know for sure what is going to happen. I still have my money on a boxset of the entire trillogy by Christmas 2005. Still time to milk regular DVD format anyway. Lucas hasn't gotten to do this yet, so you know it's got to be in store. Who can blame him?

If HD-DVD does appear in two years, then we will see another boxset --- in HD.

milo bloom 07-18-04 11:26 AM

Originally posted by DavidH
Everyone keeps talking about HD-DVD in a couple of years when we don't even know for sure what is going to happen. I still have my money on a boxset of the entire trillogy by Christmas 2005. Still time to milk regular DVD format anyway. Lucas hasn't gotten to do this yet, so you know it's got to be in store. Who can blame him?

If HD-DVD does appear in two years, then we will see another boxset --- in HD.

And even if HD does show up in a few years, do you really think we'll see the SW films right away

Joseph B 07-18-04 01:06 PM

And even if HD does show up in a few years, do you really think we'll see the SW films right away
As I stated earlier, in all probability there will be a definitive box set of all six movies in 2007 to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the theatrical release of the original Star Wars movie.

Looking at the pattern of prior Star Was home video releases to VHS, VHS Widescreen, LD, and VCD that occurred in the 80's and 90's, all indications are that this box set will be released simultaneously to DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and perhaps even D-Theater (if it's still viable) at that time.