DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Eyes Wide Shut Director's Cut R1 release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/375001-eyes-wide-shut-directors-cut-r1-release.html)

animalmystic 07-15-04 06:23 PM

Eyes Wide Shut Director's Cut R1 release?

Was there a R1 release of Eyes Wide Shut-The Directors Cut or was it only available through R2??

2nd question-if its only available in R2 where is the best place to pick this up at online?

Thanks in advance

bis22 07-15-04 06:45 PM

Currently it's not available in region 1.

natevines 07-15-04 08:51 PM

That's right. Instead we have to deal with poor CGI shadows blocking nudity. Bah.
I thought Warner did a bad job with the Kubrick movies. I'd love to see them re-released in amaray cases with more extras.

THORN 07-15-04 09:25 PM

minor question ... how can we have a director's cut of this film???

the director FREAKIN DIED BEFORE IT WAS COMPLETED!!!!!!!

and now back to your regular programming

T

flyboy 07-15-04 09:55 PM

Man oh man, that was funny T!

snorlaxnut 07-16-04 12:27 AM

Re: Eyes Wide Shut Director's Cut R1 release?

Originally posted by animalmystic
2nd question-if its only available in R2 where is the best place to pick this up at online?

http://www.sendit.com

manicsounds 07-16-04 01:38 AM

I will add that the R2 Japanese and the R2 European are still slightly censored.
The only release that is fully uncut is the R3 Hong Kong version DVD.

The R2 versions have a line of dialogue that some religious people might have objections to cut out, while the R3 left it in.

shawagg 07-16-04 03:50 AM

It was edited by WB for a R rating if I recall corectly. I remember something about the international version being his way but the US version was changed. WB said he agreed to it-- remember he had apperantly just finished editing it when he died--, but somehow I doubt that.

Believe me there are plenty of ways to know what his cut would have been. For one, you just gotta ask the editor what he wanted. Look at his notes, etc.

Dead don't mean nothing.

ZackR 07-16-04 08:26 AM

The only release that is fully uncut is the R3 Hong Kong version DVD.
While the cuts to the R1 version are not really i[]that[/i] significant, I recommend any fan pick up the R3 version. I grabbed it for like $12 a year or so ago. Highly recommended.

ThatGuamGuy 07-16-04 10:36 AM

Originally posted by manicsounds
The R2 versions have a line of dialogue that some religious people might have objections to cut out, while the R3 left it in.
It's not really dialogue, even; there's a chant on the soundtrack (though it's possible it's supposed to be characters chanting) which was changed because it's from a Muslim sacred text.

Whether or not the R3 disc is actually uncensored is hotly contested around these parts; people who have had both R3 and R2 have claimed that there's no difference.

Well, the director gave in what he called his final cut and then the studio re-edited it. While it's highly likely he would've continued to edit it further, fact is, there exists a cut which was his "final cut", and it ain't available in R1.

ThatGuamGuy 07-16-04 10:36 AM

Originally posted by ZackR
While the cuts to the R1 version are not really i[]that[/i] significant, I recommend any fan pick up the R3 version. I grabbed it for like $12 a year or so ago. Highly recommended.
Zack - whereabouts? I've kept an eye on E-bay, but it keeps going for $30 or more (the rare times it's even available).

drjay 07-16-04 10:46 AM

Layoyo has the (according the them) unedited version here for $17.69 US. Yesasia has it for $20.99 here. Of course these are before the fun shipping charges :) ($5.40 at Layoyo, dunno about Yesasia, but possibly free there).

Josh Z 07-16-04 12:08 PM

Originally posted by THORN

The movie was completed when Kubrick died. Warner Bros. then added in the digital silhouettes to get an R-rating (which Kubrick knew he was obliged to deliver when he was making the film). The version without the silhouettes is generally referred to as the "Director's Cut".

However, Kubrick had a history of continuing to tinker with his movies even after delivering his "final cut", including making changes to 2001 and The Shining after they had already premiered. So it's possible that he would have kept working on Eyes Wide Shut as well.

I have the Region 3 DVD. The chanting is the same as the Region 1 release. There is no home video release of this film with the Kubrick's chosen chanting. They sound nearly identical, though, so unless you speak Arabic or Hindi or whatever language it originally was you won't notice the difference.

ThatGuamGuy 07-16-04 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
The movie was completed when Kubrick died. Warner Bros. then added in the digital silhouettes to get an R-rating (which Kubrick knew he was obliged to deliver when he was making the film).
I have nothing to add to your post, except to add a slight clarifier; from what I understand, Kubrick himself approved the general idea (because he knew he was contractually obligated to give an R-rating) of using CGI silhouettes and characters to block certain explicit thrusting, so it could even be called "Director Approved" or something like that. But he died before any of it was done, so he never had a chance to approve or disapprove what was done, nor even to make a personal appeal to the MPAA (somehow, I think his reputation would've only helped the film, in that respect; maybe he would've had to put some in, but I think he almost certainly would've gotten away with more than it did).

including making changes to 2001 and The Shining after they had already premiered.
He even re-cut 'The Shining' twice! First, he withdrew it from circulation and cut a few scenes and re-released it in the US ... then, when it was being released internationally, he had cut twenty more minutes out. One of these days, I'm gonna pick up that R2, just to see what he did. I think 'The Shining' is really good, but I wouldn't mind it losing a bit of the fat. I'd like to see the option, at least.

cultshock 07-16-04 04:27 PM

There is no home video release of this film with the Kubrick's chosen chanting. They sound nearly identical, though, so unless you speak Arabic or Hindi or whatever language it originally was you won't notice the difference.
That's the part that always amuses me. People complain about the chant being changed, but unless you speak the language, you wouldn't even notice the difference. :lol: That's a small bit of "censoring" that I certainly don't lose any sleep over.

(OTOH, the digitally superimposed figures are terrible and the film shouldn't be watched this way)

ZackR 07-16-04 08:54 PM

Zack - whereabouts? I've kept an eye on E-bay, but it keeps going for $30 or more (the rare times it's even available).
I don't remember for sure...I think someplace like koreandvds.com or something like that. I will see if I still have the info...actually, it is possible it was Ebay. I'll check my Profiler when I get home...