Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Old 07-13-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about Warner - not to mention their habit of including lots of extras on most of their releases (except the Lethal Weapon's DC series ) .

But I do wish they would be more consistent in labelling their true SE's - like the releases I have of The Fugitive, Twister, and others - nowhere on the case does it say special edition, but they are (according to DVD reviews). Some, such as Contact and US Marshals are marked as SEs.

I experienced brief buyer's remorse a few weeks ago after buying The Fugitive on sale at CC, then seeing a review of an SE on digitalbits.com - until I realized the one I bought WAS the SE, just not labelled.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-13-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by lizard
I am one of the ones that doesn't mind digi-packs but doesn't like snappers. I handle my DVDs with care, in whatever cases they come in, so the wear and tear on cardboard cases is minimal.

It isn't the cardboard that I don't like about snappers. I don't like them because the closure hooks other cases when pulling them off the shelf and they stick out from the shelf farther than most other cases.

Nevertheless, there are two things I DO like about snappers: the easy-to-remove security tape (why can't they use that stuff on other DVDs?), and the hub. I'd like to see the snapper hub on an Amaray style case.

I do hope that Warner and other studios do switch to thin-pack cases; it would be nice to save on shelf space. Much as I dislike snappers, I do appreciate the fact that it was Warner Brothers that forced DVD prices down by adopting sell-through pricing years ago. WB has saved us all a lot of money by keeping their prices low and forcing most other studios to follow suit. For that I thank them.
digipaks suck cuz they have a high propensity to scratch the disc. and sometimes, it takes forever to get the disc out of the digipak holder.
Old 07-13-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mythmaker18
[B]Don't feel alone. I hate any form of cardboard packaging, no matter how well-designed. I'd have preferred Starsky and Hutch season 1 had come in one of those "wide" plastic boxes like the MASH season sets than in that cheapo digipack.
Why in the WORLD are there so many people who prefer cardboard freakin' digipacks??? They look like crap as they age and use and their durability is probably less hearty than the snappers (which I don't like either). I own several digipack CDs and I'm certainly not impressed with paper over plastic.
Old 07-13-04, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yeah, digipaks need to go.

It's nice to see some of their previously snapper-only titles being re-released in keepcases, though, like the first two Austin Powers discs, the first Blade, and more recently some titles are coming out in both snappers and keepcases, like Mystic River and Name of the Rose.

Actually, they ALWAYS made alternate keepcase packaging for rental outlets like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video so they could sell their Previously Viewed discs in keepcases. Paramount has also issued individual keepcase art for the Godfather movies via previewed rental outlets.

Still, if they can get rid of the damn cardboard digipaks, we may have decent packaging uniformly on DVD for some time to come.

Warner.
Old 07-13-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Actually, they ALWAYS made alternate keepcase packaging for rental outlets like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video so they could sell their Previously Viewed discs in keepcases"

Not always true (at least around here). When a DVD comes in unusual packaging such as a cardboard slipcase or a digipack, Blockbuster sells it that way used - they just put it in one of those clear locking covers to prevent theft.

DVDs I have seen or bought in the original cases include Punch Drunk Love (digipack), PotC (slipcase), Royal Tenebaums (slipcase), Die Another Day (slipcase), and several in snappers.
Old 07-13-04, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sorry, when I said "always" I meant "as far back as 1997."

I know there isn't alternate packaging for EVERY rental title - but they have always made some (if not most) titles available in alternate keepcase packaging.
Old 07-13-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too am glad that they are phasing this out.

I've had the same troubles that others have listed on here with snapper cases, especially with reaching for one movie and pulling out a few at a time. They got so annoying that I've actually created seperate storage area for snappers (as someone else has also mentioned). I keep 'em in a drawer, standing upright I guess you could say, so that when I pull one out they don't snag each other. I've finally run out of room in this drawer, and I've pretty much avoided getting any snapper releases since say...Animatrix.

Digipacks I don't seem to have too much trouble with, but again they do get slightly seperate storage from the other flicks. I never thought I'd get obsessive about case sizes...but there you have it.
Old 07-13-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bout damn time.
Old 07-13-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
Sorry, when I said "always" I meant "as far back as 1997."
The movies I named were all recent films, within the last 2 years.

A couple more recent snapper titles I have seen at BB - City by the Sea, Insomnia. In fact, I can't think of a single title originally in a snapper which I have bought in a keepcase, and I have bought a lot of used dvds from BB in the last two years (well over 100).

Edit: I was in the back room of a Blockbuster tonight, saving some original keepcases from being thrown away so I can finish switching my collection over from the crappy Blockbuster cases many of them came in. The way they do it - when they put a new disc out for rental, they put it into one of their own cases (not locking ones), throw away the original keepcases and put the cover art in a filing cabinet to use later when they sell. ( Most of the cases I got tonight still had the Butterfly Effect inserts in them, so these were apparently ones they put out last Tuesday.) When they go to sell, they switch them to the locking cases and pull the cover art back out of the filing cabinet. Some stores switch back to the orginal cases from that week's new releases, and use a tape closure to prevent theft - a lot of my used BB purchases had regular cases, but had so many stickers and tape on them that I pitched them anyway.

They have a set of bookshelves where they keep all the digipacks and snapper cases - there were several Harry Potter cases and two Twin Towers among probably 150-200 snapper cases. When they sell these, they switch back to the original cases and lock them in a clear case to prevent theft.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-14-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by lizard
I am one of the ones that doesn't mind digi-packs but doesn't like snappers. I handle my DVDs with care, in whatever cases they come in, so the wear and tear on cardboard cases is minimal.

It isn't the cardboard that I don't like about snappers. I don't like them because the closure hooks other cases when pulling them off the shelf and they stick out from the shelf farther than most other cases.

Nevertheless, there are two things I DO like about snappers: the easy-to-remove security tape (why can't they use that stuff on other DVDs?), and the hub. I'd like to see the snapper hub on an Amaray style case.

I do hope that Warner and other studios do switch to thin-pack cases; it would be nice to save on shelf space. Much as I dislike snappers, I do appreciate the fact that it was Warner Brothers that forced DVD prices down by adopting sell-through pricing years ago. WB has saved us all a lot of money by keeping their prices low and forcing most other studios to follow suit. For that I thank them.
I agree about the snapper hubs. They always work a lot better for me then keepcase hubs. As for digipaks... i love them (although i'm not someone who loathes snappers at all). They look great, and haven't really had any problems with wear on mine. I do dislike the way snappers cling to other cases and what not though.

I dislike thinkpaks. They're too thin and one of my Family Guy discs seems looseon the hub.
Old 07-13-04, 09:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 864 Likes on 731 Posts
i really didn't care either way except that they damaged more easily and didn't fit in collection like the keepcase, but either way it is all about the movie except the snapper cases were more annoying.