Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Old 07-12-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My main problem with the snappers has been the cheap-assed closure - they tend not to last long, about half of my snappers will only click closed at either the top or the bottom. Also, the cardboard gets scratched and creased easily.

The digipacks generally force you to be more careful with them due to their design, so they stay nicer.
Old 07-12-04, 11:44 PM

I'm not really a fan of digipacks either. Any type of cardboard case is going to show signs of wear faster than a nice clean amaray. Still, I think part of the intense dislike of snappers were those two strips of plastic on the top and bottom of the case which mar your other cases and pull other cases off the shelf with them. Plus there was a sense that Warner didn't care that consumers mostly despised them, they just kept using them for their own financial motives because they had an investment (or partly owned) the company that makes them.
Old 07-12-04, 11:44 PM
Banned

I must be one of the few people who does not care about the snapper. Does not bother me if a movie comes in one.
Old 07-12-04, 11:49 PM

Oh and they're slightly wider than keepcases and digipacks so they stick out farther on the shelf (petty I know, but it bugs me).
Old 07-13-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Originally posted by Bcolon
Industry sources said Warner initially went with the Snapper because the cardboard boxes were five cents cheaper than the keep cases.
So they made an extra nickel, but lost countless sales due to their crappy packaging. I only own one snapper, Dark City, and I paid $5 for it.
Old 07-13-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have loads of excellent films in snapper cases, I don't prefer them but I would never let one dissuade me from buying a DVD.

Blade Platinum, Contact SE, The Fugitive, Twister, the Lethal Weapon series, Dark City, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc etc. If anyone deprived himself of all those great DVDs then it was his loss. Warner and New Line somehow survived and thrived.
Old 07-13-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmmmmmm red snappa. very tasty
Old 07-13-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by USBrit
I wonder if they'll re-release titles with new keepcases. It would be a pain in the ass to upgrade so many, but I'd still do it.
It would be a bit extreme to rebuy a dvd just for the case. You could just get a bunch of Amray cases from Blockbuster before they throw them away (like I did last week). The artwork won't fit inside the clear cover, but you COULD tape it to the outside . Or if you're picky, you could take it to a print shop and probably get them to make you a properly sized photo-quality copy for not much money - I would expect not much more than a buck apiece, especially if you were doing a lot of them. Or even find one of those websites where you can download the cover art and print it yourself.

In any case, I am sure any of the above would be a lot cheaper than rebuying the disc.

Edit : I actually found a site dedicated to providing cover art to replace those snapper cases.

Dr. Zaius' replacement cover art

In fact he has a thread here at DVD talk:

Dr Zaius thread

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-13-04 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 03:43 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah! About damn time. Just bring back those super jewel box cases instead...just kiddy
Old 07-13-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Woo hoo!!! About time.
Old 07-13-04, 09:48 AM

Re: Re: It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Originally posted by Novasonic
Cheap bastards!!!!!!!
Taking the cheap way out is nothing new. Remember, almost 100% of U.S. video companies used cheapo cardboard sleeves for their VHS tapes, while other countries, like England, used the much sturdier (and better-looking) plastic box with clear overlay (commonly called "smallbox", to distinguish it's size as smaller than a "Disney-style" box).

Curiously, Warner was one of the last major labels (other than kids' titles) to use the more expensive plastic clamshells boxes for their movies.
Old 07-13-04, 09:56 AM

I'm very glad that Warner is going to stop using snappers. I just find it strange that snappers were so hated while digi-packs were relatively embraced.
Don't feel alone. I hate any form of cardboard packaging, no matter how well-designed. I'd have preferred Starsky and Hutch season 1 had come in one of those "wide" plastic boxes like the MASH season sets than in that cheapo digipack.

And don't get me started on the unwieldy Alien Quadrilogy...
Old 07-13-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Don't feel alone. I hate any form of cardboard packaging, no matter how well-designed. I'd have preferred Starsky and Hutch season 1 had come in one of those "wide" plastic boxes like the MASH season sets than in that cheapo digipack.

And don't get me started on the unwieldy Alien Quadrilogy...
I agree here. No matter how gently a Digipack is handled, it is impossible to escape wear and tear. Also as pointed out, when I pull one DVD in a snapper case out, it pulls several others out, and it is a pain in the ass to put it back. I seperate snappers from Amarays because I hate the "uneven" look.
Old 07-13-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

death to cardboard boxes! good news, indeed!

now does that mean that they will slowly replace all of their current titles with paper sleeves in plastic cases (ala some New Line titles), or just new titles?
Old 07-13-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Originally posted by mythmaker18
Taking the cheap way out is nothing new. Remember, almost 100% of U.S. video companies used cheapo cardboard sleeves for their VHS tapes, while other countries, like England, used the much sturdier (and better-looking) plastic box with clear overlay (commonly called "smallbox", to distinguish it's size as smaller than a "Disney-style" box).
You brought back memories of my video-store days (long ago, in the pre-DVD era), when every week, when the new videos came out, one of us would had to sit in the backroom all day cutting apart the cardboard boxes to make the covers fit into the plastic rental cases. The, um, adult videos proved the biggest challenge because, for some reason, they came in these massive cardboard boxes that had a punch of extra room around the videos themselves within the box.

Disney videos, of course, didn't need to have any work done on their cases. We just put them out in the big plastic clamshells.

Eventually, we switched to squeeze boxes (remember those?), which reduced all the cutting work...

Last edited by Walter Neff; 07-13-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 12:32 PM

>>The decision to phase out the Snapper came largely as a result of internal research finding that “while consumers care most about the movie, a portion of consumers do prefer the Amaray-style packaging,” according to the source.
Old 07-13-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Eventually, we switched to squeeze boxes (remember those?), which reduced all the cutting work...
Who could forget?

She goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out
She's playin' all night
And the music's all right

Mama's got a squeeze box
Daddy never sleeps at night
Old 07-13-04, 01:22 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's official: The snapper is on its way out!

Oh yeah. . . . . Mama's squeeze box.
Old 07-13-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by NCYankee
It would be a bit extreme to rebuy a dvd just for the case. You could just get a bunch of Amray cases from Blockbuster before they throw them away (like I did last week). The artwork won't fit inside the clear cover, but you COULD tape it to the outside . Or if you're picky, you could take it to a print shop and probably get them to make you a properly sized photo-quality copy for not much money - I would expect not much more than a buck apiece, especially if you were doing a lot of them. Or even find one of those websites where you can download the cover art and print it yourself.

In any case, I am sure any of the above would be a lot cheaper than rebuying the disc.
Well, not necessarily.

If you rebuy the disc... you then have 2 discs. You can put the snapper onto eBay, and (assuming you got a good deal on your second disc) you can probably get all of your money back. Or be out a buck or so.

I'd rather spend a buck or two to get the movie in an actual, official keepcase than deal with covers off the internet (which, if you do it well, will also take up some of your time and money, and may or may not be as good as originals).

But that's just me... I obviously understand that there are people who would find this silly and/or don't like dealing with eBay.
Old 07-13-04, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions NCYankee, though I agree with bboisvert. I have a few snappers that I've replaced with keepcases myself (I miss DVDCoverart ) but only because the hub had broken on the snapper (yet another reason why snappers suck - they're not easy to replace).

I don't think I have the patience to reprint all those covers myself (or pay someone else to do it), although I know plenty have gone that route already. I would just treat it as any other upgrade - sell the old one and rebuy through CH. I'd just do it gradually as that would be a monstrous project to try all at once (assuming they'll actually re-issue old releases in keepcases).
Old 07-13-04, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by NCYankee
It would be a bit extreme to rebuy a dvd just for the case.
I actually did this with a few already (sold and replaced) when New Line dropped Snappers. My husband thinks I'm insane!
Old 07-13-04, 03:12 PM
Suspended

I can see it now.. in a few years down the road.. snappers will be collectible items worth hundreds of dollars.
Old 07-13-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't care much for the snapper case. But I hate the digipak.
Old 07-13-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by canonwars
I've never liked snappers as well.

What I find interesting is that most people find digi-packs to be good packageing although they are pretty much like snappers. They both have plastic trays and cardboard packaging.

I seem to remember discussions about the durability of snappers a couple years ago, and how keep cases were more durable. But don't digi-packs such as LotR and Fight Club also suffer from the same problems as snappers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that Warner is going to stop using snappers. I just find it strange that snappers were so hated while digi-packs were relatively embraced.
I am one of the ones that doesn't mind digi-packs but doesn't like snappers. I handle my DVDs with care, in whatever cases they come in, so the wear and tear on cardboard cases is minimal.

It isn't the cardboard that I don't like about snappers. I don't like them because the closure hooks other cases when pulling them off the shelf and they stick out from the shelf farther than most other cases.

Nevertheless, there are two things I DO like about snappers: the easy-to-remove security tape (why can't they use that stuff on other DVDs?), and the hub. I'd like to see the snapper hub on an Amaray style case.

I do hope that Warner and other studios do switch to thin-pack cases; it would be nice to save on shelf space. Much as I dislike snappers, I do appreciate the fact that it was Warner Brothers that forced DVD prices down by adopting sell-through pricing years ago. WB has saved us all a lot of money by keeping their prices low and forcing most other studios to follow suit. For that I thank them.
Old 07-13-04, 03:31 PM

Is the Snapper on DVD being discontinued? A fun movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.