Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How are the Asian import versions of kurosawas movies?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Amazon I was browsing around for some kurosawa movies to buy and I saw that in the buy used section of many of his movies there's a region 0 import. One that particularly caught my eye was the 2 disc version of Seven Samurai. Are any of these DVDs legit? And if so, are they any better than their Criterion counterparts?
Old 07-10-04, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Legit? There is a series of Kurosawa films that are R0 and legit, I don't know if they ones you were talking about specifically are though. Were they from Mei Ah? WRT the quality it varies greatly but none come close to, much less is better than, their Criterion counterparts IMHO. For example Sanshiro Sugata is so dark it's completely unwatchable. The main thing they have over Criterion is the price (~$5/ea) and a better selection (although Criterion seems determined to catch up ).
Old 07-10-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I got a few of those, and here's my opinion:

Sanshiro Sugata---not a horrible print, kind of dark---such a great movie that I thought it was definitely worth the $5.95.

They Who Step on Tiger's Tails-----a really bad print. I'm glad I saw it, but this print it just really poor.

Yojimbo---the blacks were kind of faded, but a pretty sharp print, and widescreen.

Sanjuro----widescreen, pretty good print.

But be warned, these are Hong Kong releases, and for the English subtitles, they didn't just translate from Japanese, they translated them from the CHINESE translation of the original Japanese. That makes the dialogue interesting, to put it mildly!
Old 07-11-04, 11:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't see the point in NOT getting the Criterion versions of Yojimbo and Sanjuro. You can find them easily for well under $20. You're assured of a good transfer, a competent translation, an essay, and cool packaging.
Old 07-11-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I picked these up because they were dirt cheap and/or unavailable elsewhere. I held off on the Criterions, because I hold out hope that we'll see great quality anamorphic releases of Yojimbo and Sanjuro eventually.
Old 07-11-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by Ky-Fi
I held off on the Criterions, because I hold out hope that we'll see great quality anamorphic releases of Yojimbo and Sanjuro eventually.
I'm holding off and am hoping so too. The current Criterion transfers of these two films are far from definitive, and I'm hoping for new improved versions sometime (hopefully this will happen).
Old 07-11-04, 07:39 PM

I've owned 4 Mei Ah Kurosawas, Ikiru, Throne of Blood, Drunken Angel and Stray Dog. I was always a pretty staunch defender of them, citing their low price and not horrible transfers as huge plusses, until I bought the Criterion Stray Dog. It's a completely different movie. The subs are so laughably bad on the Mei Ah version that you really get a completely different understanding of the film while watching Criterion's great release. I may yet pick up some of his earlier films from Mei Ah just because I think it will be some time before Criterion gets to them all, but my general advice now is to wait for the Criterion versions.
Old 07-11-04, 08:04 PM

Poor translations are mostly what I want to avoid. I think i'll stick with the criterions than. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-12-04, 10:31 AM

SLeopold has the gist of it, totally avoid them if you are looking for translations that actually make sense.

If you absolutely must own one because you want to see the movie and know Criterion won't release it for a long while make sure you understand that the translations are so bad you will barely understand the movie or be watching a different movie.

I own Lower Depths on Mei Ah, its like watching a movie as told by a 4 year old.

"You that what there in the bottle?"
"Yes it is where the drink will be"
"Ok you that smells like it is bad!"
"I laugh!"

(an approximate translation based on my memory of the last time I suffered through it, reproduced for humor value)