DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Bully disc - uncut version? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/374044-bully-disc-uncut-version.html)

jrsl76 07-09-04 08:59 PM

Bully disc - uncut version?

This is not to start any speculation, just to get clarification for myself. I just bought Larry Clark's Bully during the DDD coupon sale. When I received it, the back cover says Theatrical Version. Now I watched this on DVD a couple years ago and to my knowledge, Bully is only available in 1 version and that is uncut, but this has thrown me. I was sure this was covered before, but my thread searches couldn't find any discussion of this so if anyone knows, I would appreciate a clarification. Thanks.

Julie Walker 07-09-04 09:09 PM

Theatrical Version is uncut as it was released unrated. The R version was created for some video chains,you know who they are;)

arthur_dent 07-10-04 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Theatrical Version is uncut as it was released unrated. The R version was created for some video chains,you know who they are;)
I think HBO shows the edited version also, but I'm not too sure on that.

MikeD03C 07-12-04 02:21 AM

I posed this same question a while ago when I bought the DVD. I searched for the thread but it didn't pop up for some reason--not sure how far back the archives go.

The consensus was that the DVD is the original uncensored version. While the words "theatrical version" may lend you to think edited to get an R rating for exposure in the theatre, it's the opposite. Clark showed the film with no rating in theaters so you are in fact seeing the original theatrical non-rated uncensored version. Enjoy, it's one of my favorite films. Excellent characterization.

Julie Walker 07-12-04 03:54 AM

Originally posted by arthur_dent
I think HBO shows the edited version also, but I'm not too sure on that.
HBO usually airs the rated versions of films sadly. But I don't know,they have 'slipped' up a couple times,lol.

They claimed Terror Firmer was rated R,but really showed the unrated version.

Meanwhile I have only seen Bully when it aired on HBO and I had to wonder which version it is. Since mainly the murder of the bully is supposed to be heavily cut(+ other things probably). It all appeared intact to myself,but then again,you never know.

Can anyone confirm which version HBO aired?

conscience 07-12-04 09:28 AM

HBO has shown the Unrated version of Bully before (but the last time it was on as I was skimming through the Search funtion it was the R rated version. I believe that have showed the Unrated version of Old School as well.

Also I believe either HBO or Cinemax also did a one time only Monster's Ball Unrated. Although I believe they showed it two or three more times after that.

and yes, Bully on dvd is the complete uncut version.

ElementZ 07-12-04 09:34 AM

What are the differences between the rated R version and the Uncut version.

Edit: My copy is the unrated version.

steelpotato 07-12-04 10:17 AM

Off the top of my head, more graphic detail in the murder and a couple of cock shots clearly stand out, although they are not erect or the focus of the shot.