DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Whats up with Guzzlefish lately? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/373909-whats-up-guzzlefish-lately.html)

thegame370 07-09-04 04:59 AM

Whats up with Guzzlefish lately?

Ive tried a few titles lately and no luck. Neither of these show up when searched:
Secret Window
South Park Season 4
Bad(der) Santa
Any of you have the same problem? I started to try and submit the titles, but was having some technical difficulties.

Ollin 07-09-04 05:27 AM

I just gave up with Guzzlefish and the anime DVD titles not being listing.

speedyray 07-09-04 06:07 AM

In the forum they said that many things may seem neglected, but that the major update they have been planning should hit in August and fix a ton of stuff. I myself have been trying to get Badder Santa in with no luck.

Tarnower 07-09-04 06:33 AM

the new anniversary re-release of "Blazing Saddles" isn't in there either.

steebo777 07-09-04 06:54 AM

Man they are pissing me off. This 'major fix' seems like it has been talked about for over a year :mad:

speedyray 07-09-04 11:00 AM

Originally posted by steebo777
Man they are pissing me off. This 'major fix' seems like it has been talked about for over a year :mad:
9 months now I think, maybe 10. Yeah, I get a little upset, but it will get there eventually. I really like Guzzelfish and I see the potential so i tolerate and work around the problems for now.

Ginwen 07-09-04 11:24 AM

At least the speed has improved since they added memory. I can deal with waiting a while for titles (although it would never be my main site as long as they have that problem) but the speed made me consider dropping it completely.

drjay 07-09-04 11:29 AM

I just quit GF a week ago. Not only the fact that new titles aren't even showing up (Mystic River wasn't there even a week ago), but their admins are really pretty condescending. Blah, I'll take DVDaf, I just wish they had the stats.

matome 07-09-04 11:45 AM

This is the reason why I don't really rely on/use these online databases. One day they could just decide to shut down the server or move on and not update anymore. It's too much work to input 1500+ titles and have to worry if it'll still be there tomorrow.

Husker 07-09-04 12:23 PM

Can't really complain. For a free service its pretty good.

duy37 07-09-04 02:44 PM

yeah i was doing Guzzlefish since it had video games and music as well, but i also had dvdprofiler. now i just use dvdprofiler, havent touched guzzlefish in months when it was super super slow. dvdprofiler had some down time, but it's real good now. and yeah with online only, if they go down you have nothing. at least with dvdprofiler you could print out a list or backup your database.

ScottyWH 07-09-04 03:02 PM

Count "Man Show: Season 2" as still MIA also...

glasschicken 07-09-04 06:19 PM

Mystic River as well.

Max Bottomtime 07-09-04 07:50 PM

I don't think any recent title from the past month is in there. My most recent DVD purchases are Mystic River, Quantum Leap Season One, South Park Season Four, Badder Santa and Blazing Saddles SE, none of which are there.

Tread 07-09-04 10:57 PM

I input my whole collection about a month or so ago; I thought the stats were really great. However, between ridiculously slow performance, inaccurate stats and an out-of-date database, there isn't much reason to go for it. I switched to DVD Profiler, which is more like what I'd wanted anyway. I still keep an excel listing of my stuff on my computer, but I may switch it to a database just for simplicity's sake and run it off local webserver.

(And for the record, I never got Mystic River or M*A*S*H Season 6 in... and the people maintaining the site don't seem to have any form of organization.)

collven 07-10-04 01:59 AM

Tread, have you checked out DVD Profiler's reports. There are tons of them included with the program and you can download more. I don't even worry about keeping an excel database when I can just put all my titles into several different types of reports, depending on what I want to know.
My favorite is the DVD Discount report, which shows MSRP, price paid, and amount of discount received for all your movies.

jough 07-10-04 06:22 PM

No Film Noir collection or Badder Santa.

Actually, Badder Santa isn't in DVD Profiler yet either.

Yeah, Guzzlefish seems to have really dropped the ball over the past... oh, year or so.

A lot of discs don't show up, and the stats are often inaccurate, so they're next to useless.

Pity. A good idea poorly implemented.

Tread 07-10-04 11:19 PM

collven:

I would consider doing that; however, I'm on a Mac & I don't trust that VPC/OS X/DVDPro will always be playing nice on this machine (especially with future OS upgrades), so I like to have a backup. :)

I'd love if DVDPro was Mac-compatible, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. But, hey, I already had Virtual PC for work.

Tscott 07-10-04 11:32 PM

Originally posted by jough
Actually, Badder Santa isn't in DVD Profiler yet either.
Really? I think I was able to add it in DVD Profiler by UPC code with no problem. Anyway, it's listed as "Bad-der Santa" if you're doing a name search.

But I'm still waiting for Bad-der Santa and Six Feet Under Season 2 to be added in Guzzelfish...

collven 07-11-04 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Tread
collven:

I would consider doing that; however, I'm on a Mac & I don't trust that VPC/OS X/DVDPro will always be playing nice on this machine (especially with future OS upgrades), so I like to have a backup. :)

I'd love if DVDPro was Mac-compatible, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. But, hey, I already had Virtual PC for work.

Oh, ok. It would be nice if they had a Mac compatible version.