Search

Sony close to DVD deal on Moore film

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-04, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wed 7 July, 2004 23:40

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony's home entertainment division is close to acquiring DVD and home video rights to Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11", Hollywood trade paper Daily Variety reports.

Wednesday's report that a home entertainment deal is near comes as Moore's scathing critique of President George W. Bush and the U.S.-led war in Iraq is headed for release in several overseas markets.

The film, which grossed a record $60 million (32.4 million pounds) through its first two weekends in the United States and Canada, the most ever for a political documentary, was slated to open in France, Switzerland, Belgium and the Middle East on Wednesday and in Britain on Thursday. It debuts in several Latin American nations next week.

"Fahrenheit" won the top award at the Cannes film festival in May, and analysts expect it to find a particularly warm reception in countries, like France, where public opinion has clashed with the Bush administration over its Iraq policy.

At a news conference in New York on Tuesday, Moore said he planned to focus his energies on campaigning against Bush's re-election bid at home rather than promoting his film overseas.

"We have an election coming up," Moore said of the November U.S. presidential race. "Every day spent outside the United States is another day outside our mission, which is to do our best to remove Mr. Bush from the White House."

Both Sony and the Fellowship Adventure Group -- the entity formed by Miramax Films Co-Chairmen Harvey and Bob Weinstein to buy the rights to the film when the Walt Disney refused to release it -- declined to comment on talks about DVD distribution.

But Variety said Sony was nearing a deal to release DVD and VHS versions of "Fahrenheit" this fall through its Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment unit. Other bidders included NBC Universal and Lions Gate Entertainment, which is one of the film's two domestic distributors.

Moore's last documentary, his Oscar-winning "Bowling for Columbine", which explored gun violence in America, grossed just over $21 million during its nine-month run at the box office and, according to Variety, generated $12 million in home video revenues.
Old 07-08-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Very good news... although I could care less who releases it (other than Universal, we know their track record).
Old 07-08-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

glad to hear it! brilliant film, i am hoping to see it again very soon!
Old 07-08-04, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*clicks button on wrist watch* Let's see how long this thread can stay open.

On topic, does Disney currently own the DVD rights? I'm not sure I read that right.
Old 07-08-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's see how long this thread can stay open.
With a set-up like "(32.4 million pounds)" in the article, I'm guessing not too long.
Old 07-08-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well as long as it wasn't Criterion.
Old 07-08-04, 04:58 PM

Sony also owns the rights to TV Nation.
Old 07-08-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes! This means we will get the Fahrenheit 9/11: Movie-Only Edition, Fahrenheit 9/11: Special Edition, Fahrenheit 9/11: Deluxe Edition, Fahrenheit 9/11: Superbit Edition, and Fahrenheit 9/11: Superbit Deluxe Edition!

Eh... I loved the movie too much that my dumbass will probably pick up every release...

And nice sig Popcorn.
Old 07-09-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so far this movie is my 2nd fav film of year (with Spidey 2 being my fav )

Would be fun if there was a box set which came with a talking Bush doll which said some of his most memerable misquotes
Old 07-09-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Lets see how much sony will make off the blood of the innocent.
Old 07-09-04, 09:34 AM

Lets see how much sony will make off the blood of the innocent.

-notrolls-